Western Animation / The Itsy Bitsy Spider
A 1992 animated short named for the nursery rhyme of the same name, originally shown in theaters preceding Bébé's Kids
. In 1994 it was picked up as a TV series, which aired on the USA Network
The short subject dealt with the titular spider befriending a shy little girl but invoking the fearful wrath of the girl's teacher, who sends an exterminator over. The exterminator deploys any means possible to get rid of the spider, only (like Wile E. Coyote) to fail miserably. The TV series resumes the premise, with the girl now named Leslie McRoraty and the teacher Miss Adrienne.
Tropes covered by the short and the series:
- Bug War: Mostly one-sided. Characters try to dispose of Itsy for being a spider and he's just defending himself.
- Determinator: The Exterminator. Santayana would be proud of him.
- Dumb Muscle: The Exterminator is truly no Mensa candidate. His focus—to get rid of Itsy—clouds his ability to think of the best way to do it.
- Kill It with Fire: One of the Exterminator's tools is a flamethrower.
- Meganekko: Leslie. She's sweet in both the short and first season, then undergoes a rather radical change in demeanor in season two.
- Stern Teacher: Adrianne, Leslie's stern teacher. Even when utterly defeated, she gets no sympathy.
Tropes exclusive to the short:
Tropes exclusive to the series: