Western Animation: The Head
The Head is a animated series that premiered on MTV from 1994-1996 about a young man named Jim, who wakes up one day to find his head enlarged thanks to a purple alien named Roy residing in it. Together they and several other friends go on adventures.The complete series can be seen on MTV's Liquid Television site, which can be found here. Unfortunately the episode "Return of the Spider" is currently unavailable.
The Head provides tropes of:
- Animation Bump: The first three and a half minutes of the first episode looks crude compared to the rest of the series.
- Bond Creatures: Roy is able to communicate with Jim when they're far apart.
- The Cameo: In the first episode, Butthead gives the federal agents a tape recording of a eye witness news report involving Roy's attack from earlier in the episode, then he gets kicked out.
- Expy: Dr. Axel looks pretty much like a middle-aged Beavis.
- Eyes Always Shut: Dr. Axel, Dr. Elliot, Ray and Ivan.
- Large Ham: Dr. Axel, Dr. Elliot and Ray.
- Mad Scientist: Dr. Elliot
- Noodle People: Chen.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Roy.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Roy's idea of fitting in with humans was just him wearing shades. It worked well at first, until he took them off.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Madelyne and Dr. Axel aside, Jim's friends are a alien, a guy with a propellor blade stuck in his face, a guy with a fishbowl stuck in his mouth, a guy with a extra mouth on his stomach, a guy with long arms and legs, a lady with a large nose and a lady with shiny hair (and a tail).
- Took a Level in Badass: At the start of the series, Jim didn't have any confidence in himself. But with Roy's help, he was able to gain his confidence, make friends, get a girlfriend and save the world.
- Unreliable Narrator: In the first episode, a thug who was spared from the attack by Roy, tells his own story of the attack on the news, which depicts the thugs as innocent and Jim as the thug.