The Drinky Crow Show
is about...a crow that likes to drink
. And Uncle Gabby, his monkey-ish friend who likes to bed as many women as he can. The two go off on adventures on a ship with a captain and his daughter, with whom the monkey-ish thing likes to sleep. All the while they're looking for Drinky Crow's love of his life, a mermaid, and fighting French crocodiles. Occasionally, they get tied up in various schemes in an effort to either drink alcohol, bed women, or simply shirk from their French-killing military obligations (or any form of responsibility, really).
Based on the comic strip Maakies
by Tony Millionare, this series debuted "unofficially" on April Fools' Day
2008 on [adult swim]
, and later "officially" the following fall. It became popular with fans for its far-out humor
, but was cancelled
after only one season due to the high animation costs. Though at the least it was given a Grand Finale
Some tropes used in this series are:
- Accessory-Wearing Cartoon Animal: Uncle Gabby, whose only clothing is a Nice Hat.
- The Alcoholic: Guess.
- Amusing Injuries/Bloody Hilarious: Not only do the main characters end up getting maimed on a regular basis, but they maintain a casual nature throughout the whole thing aside from the pain itself.
- Apocalypse How: A big, red button.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Monkey god.
- Booze God, Captain Maak God, French General God, Drinky Crow God, and Suicide-Gun God.
- Big Damn Hero: Drinky in the Vampire episode.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- The Casanova
- Cats Are Mean: The lion and tiger couple.
- Cel Shading
- The Chew Toy: Uncle Gabby.
- Conspicuous CG: Animated at low resolution.
- Deranged Animation
- Does Not Like Shoes: The Captain's Daughter is always barefoot.
- Drowning My Sorrows/I Need a Freaking Drink: Both show up quite often.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Drinky showed up in a brief animation in the 2002 documentary Gigantic (A Tale of Two Johns).
- The Eeyore: Drinky
- Expy: Dose Captain Maak remind anyone of Mr. Mufflin?
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Drinky Crow's name is...Drinky Crow. Captain Maak's daughter is called...The Captain's Daughter.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Uncle Gabby
- Everything's Better with Platypi: A platypus appears in the egg episode.
- For The Cel Of It: Which makes it look like a Subverted Kids Show, particularly that of The Fifties.
- Funny Animal: Drinky Crow & Uncle Gabby, and the French crocodiles.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Gabby's new girlfriend is really only after him to commit murder and cannibalism before her wedding but is too chicken to perform them on an actual human being.
- Mermaid Problem
- The Napoleon: Captain Maak
- Negative Continuity: Caused, of course, by Snap Back.
- Never Smile at a Crocodile: The show's recurring antagonist.
- Once per Episode: Gabby or Drinky will show a horribly infected wound and ask "Does this look bad to you?" and get a dismissive "Nah, you're fine" in return.
- Only Sane Man: Uncle Gabby.
- Organ Autonomy: Drinky's brain dumps him off after a botched suicide attempt. It goes for a drink at a bar whose clientele is made entirely of self-aware body parts.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Drinky Crow is ADORABLE.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: The entire bar on shore is staffed with robot versions of the regular cast except for Captain Maaki... while the real ones are at sea with a Maaki robot. None of them suspect a thing until Drinky blasts his head open and notices he's made of metal parts.
- Sadist Show
- They Might Be Giants: Perform the opening theme; Tony Millionaire has designed album art for them, and Drinky has a cameo in Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns.
- Those Two Guys: Well, those two aliens. Voiced by Bret and Jemaine.
- Wingding Eyes: You know they're really drunk when X's replace irises.