Western Animation: The Bugs Bunny Road Runner Show
This anthology show starring the Looney Tunes ran on ABC and CBS, with a dash of NBC, on Saturday mornings from 1960 to 2000. If the current rights-holders for these cartoons allowed it (they don't), then they likely would still be on network TV.It began during the era of local kids' shows, and this show was an all-animated variant on the format. Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck introduced Warner Bros. cartoons, all in color, mostly post-World War II to present. Various animated antics happened in between. The basic format didn't change much.The show lasted an entire hour, and Looney Tunes shorts were slightly shorter than the standard Saturday Morning Cartoon shorts, so you could see a lot of cartoons in that hour. Many of these cartoons were either originally aimed above the average audience of the show or the Larriva Eleven, but there was something for everyone.
Incarnations of this show
- "The Bugs Bunny Show" (ABC) . First-run episodes 1960-1962. Re-runs continued to air to 1968.
- "The Porky Pig Show" (ABC). 1964-1966. Featured first-run cartoons and replays of several seen on The Bugs Bunny Show.
- "The Road Runner Show" (CBS). Run from 1966 to 1968.
- The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour (CBS). Combination of the above shows. First-run episodes run from 1968 to 1969. Show continued airing to 1975.
- "The Bugs Bunny Show" (CBS). Run from 1971 to 1973.
- "The Road Runner Show" (ABC). Run from 1971 to 1973.
- "The Bugs Bunny Show" (ABC). Run from 1973 to 1975.
- "The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour" (CBS). Run from 1975 to 1978. Included several shorts not broadcast in the previous incarnation.
- "The Sylvester and Tweety Show" (CBS). Companion show. Run from 1976 to 1977.
- "The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show" (CBS). Name change reflected the change of episode length, from 60 minutes to 90. First run episodes lasted from 1978 to 1979. From 1979 to 1985, a mix of re-runs and new episodes was broadcast.
- "The Daffy Duck Show" (NBC). Run from 1978 to 1981. Included the original broadcasts of the 1960s Daffy Duck/Speedy Gonzales shorts. Became "The Daffy & Speedy Show" in the 1981-82 season.
- "Sylvester & Tweety, Daffy & Speedy Show" (CBS). New incarnation of the above and companion show to the "The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show". Run from 1981 to 1982.
- "The Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour" (ABC). Run from 1985 to 1986. Included shorts of every notable Looney Tunes character except Tweety and Speedy Gonzales.
- "The Bugs Bunny & Tweety Show" (ABC). Run from 1986 to 2000, underwent various changes in format. Show was cancelled when Cartoon Network gained the sole rights for broadcasting the Looney Tunes shorts.
This series provides examples of:
- Animated Actors: Everyone.
- Animated Anthology
- Bowdlerize: This happened to the more violent stuff like whaps on the head and guns being shot, especially on The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show, where the cartoons were transfered to videotape and easier to edit.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall
- Hostile Show Takeover: One episode of The Bugs Bunny Show has Daffy do this. Another had Rocky and Mugsy take over.
- Limited Animation
- No Fourth Wall: The bridge sections. This show as a whole is for our benefit.
- Theme Tune: "This Is It"
- Wrap Around Background: There is no backstage.