Western Animation: The Barbie Diaries
Barbie meets Mean Girls
with a touch of vaguely defined fantasy in this installment, an odd-movie-out in Barbie's usual fantasy oeuvre.
In this one, Barbie and her friends are a Garage Band
; the main action takes place at her school.
And, as in any American high school, there is the Alpha Bitch
, who is in this case named Raquelle. As the movie opens, Barbie receives the position of Raquelle's official toady for the school TV news show. And, as usual, Barbie has a crush on Raquelle's boyfriend, Todd, who she thinks is her Secret Admirer
. Luck turns to Barbie's side for once, and Todd not only breaks up with Raquelle, but also hooks up with Barbie in the same day. This leads to a rise in popularity for Barbie and she effectively dumps her own friends
in favour of developing a Girl Posse
with members stolen from Raquelle.
Of course it turns out okay when it turns out the Secret Admirer
and she makes up with her friends to finish the movie with an Ear Worm
This movie contains examples of:
- Alpha Bitch: Raquelle, and Barbie in the middle.
- Applied Phlebotinum: The diary.
- Canon Immigrant: Raquelle makes her first appearance in this movie (and it's accompanying toyline), and was later added to the main toyline (but with a different hair color; see Early Installment Weirdness later in the article).
- Childhood Friend Romance: Barbie and Kevin.
- Continuity Snarl: Along with the My Scene movies, it's the only Barbie movie not made by Mainframe / Rainmaker Studiosnote , so good luck fitting it in with the current Barbie canon.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Not the movie, but one of the characters, and even then it's a minor example. This movie introduces Raquelle who has red / light brown hear in this movie. She would go on to have black hair in later appearances.
- High School Dance: The climax and ending of the movie.
- The Little Shop That Wasn't There Yesterday: A variant: In this case, it's not the shop but the girl behind the counter, although Raquelle does know her name.
- Love Letter Lunacy: Barbie thinks her secret admirer is Todd, but it turns out to be Kevin
- Merchandise-Driven: Obviously, but the bracelet and diary stand out.
- This movie was also unique in that not only did Barbie & her friends get dolls but all of the varied outfits worn by them were sold seperately in special outfit packs and even the main villain was made.
- Power Trio: Barbie, Tia, Courtney.
- Wish Fulfillment: The diary does this for Barbie.