Western Animation: Scary Godmother
Scary Godmother Halloween Spooktakular
is a 2003 TV movie based on a series of children's books by Jill Thompson. It's about a girl named Hannah Marie who is locked in a haunted house by her cousin Jimmy and his friends
. Hannah is understandably terrified... that is, until her Scary Godmother shows up and invites her to her annual Halloween party. Scary Godmother takes her to the Fright Side, where Hannah is introduced to her 'broom-mates'
and fellow monsters:
- Skully Pettibone: a fun-loving, campy skeleton who loves hosting parties.
- Bug-a-Boo: a huge, scary monster that's actually a lot gentler than he seems.
- Harry: an obnoxious, self-absorbed werewolf who can't stop eating.
- Count Maxwell, Ruby and Orson: the royal family of vampires, who can be rather out of touch at times but are, for the most part, friendly and agreeable.
There is also a follow-up named Scary Godmother: The Revenge of Jimmy
Tropes used in this work:
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Max and Ruby are this to Orson.
- Ambiguously Gay: Harry, Bugaboo and Mr. Pettibone all seem to embody different gay stereotypes. The "ambiguous" part is only due to nothing ever being said outright about their sexualities.
- Art Shift: Whenever Scary Godmother or Hanna give the audience recipes for Halloween treats, they're represented in a 2D watercolor style similar to the original books.
- Ascended Extra: Jimmy gets a bigger role in the second installment.
- Bad Bad Acting: In the climactic scene, all the monsters are pretending to be evil so Hannah can "save" the kids who locked her in the house. It was hilarious.
- Harry wasn't even trying. Until he saw Daryl as a piece of candy...
- Berserk Button: Don't threaten Max's family, even on accident.
Harry: Now, who wants garlic?
- Big Eater: Harry.
- Big Entrance: Scary Godmother tries for one, but Hannah is too busy crying to notice. So Scary Godmother sits beside her and starts making loud sobbing noises to distract Hannah from her own fear.
- Blatant Lies:
Scary Godmother: Uh, Hannah, flashlights only work on... monsters that hide in your closet, yeah, and Bug-A-Boo is a monster that hides under your bed!
- Black Bead Eyes: An unusual CGI case as seen in many of the kid characters (except for Hannah), made more bizarre with the way they blink in some parts.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Jimmy.
- Bowties Are Cool: Skully wears one.
- Brainy Brunette: Hannah shows a lot this in the sequel; she uses her creativity and imagination when Jimmy causes a lot of problems for Halloween i.e. candy, pumpkins, and the spooky house.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Occasionally. Skully winks at the audience, and Scary Godmother takes a moment to give us her recipe for shutting up a chattering werewolf.
- In The Revenge of Jimmy, Hannah also gives a recipe after she and the others found out that the candy and costumes in stores have been tampered with.
- British Stuffiness: Harry is a talking wolf, with a heavy British accent.
- Brown Eyes: Jimmy, Daryl, Bert, Katie, and Hannah all have brown eyes. Hannah, however, is the only one with brown eyes that are bigger.
- By the Lights of Their Eyes: Jimmy and his friends hiding inside the closet.
- Character Development: Hannah goes from an easily scared little girl to a more outgoing and assured young lady.
- The Comically Serious: Count Max.
- Commonality Connection: Hannah stops being scared of Bug-a-Boo because they both like pizza with olives.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Hannah and Katie are both brown haired brunettes and have brown eyes.
- Cute Witch: The Scary Godmother is an adult version.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Deal with the Devil: The pizza skeleton offers one to Scary Godmother. She looks over the contract, then politely declines — her soul is worth more than 12 pizzas.
- Dem Bones: Skully.
- Department of Redundancy Department: "The light burns! It burns worse than the worst burn ever!"
- "I die! I flail... and then I die!"
- Drama Queen: Harry so much.
- Everyone Calls Her Barkeep: Everyone refers to Scary Godmother as Scary Godmother. Her real name has to be revealed.
- Fiery Redhead: Scary Godmother.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Why is Harry invited anywhere? According to Jill Thompson, even his mother can barely stand him.
- Upon his introduction, Scary Godmother and Harry seem to be on good terms, until his Establishing Character Moment.
- Maybe the overcharging for pizza was the straw that broke the camel's back for Scary Godmother?
- Genki Girl: Scary Godmother.
- Gentle Giant: Bug-a-Boo.
- Genre Savvy: Surprisingly, Harry has an instance of this.
Ahem! While I'm sure this Jimmy-slash-monster discussion is imperative to the plot, can we get back to something that is really important? Like ordering pizza?
- Getting Crap Past the Radar
Hannah: Does everyone have a skeleton in their closet?
Mr. Pettibone: Almost everyone, little miss.
- Goth: Orson has shades of this.
- Happily Married: Max and Ruby. Ruby is very supportive of her husband, and Max is very much in love with her.
- Hurricane of Puns: People on the Fright Side are apparently very into puns, since we hear at least five every scene.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Averted with Bug-A-Boo, and zig-zagged with the vampires. Max, Ruby, and Orson think that Hannah is one of the party snacks when they first see her, but are perfectly fine with pizza when it's suggested (as long as there's no garlic).
- I Was Just Joking: Orson says this after Hannah asks if he wants a bite, and pretends to try to bite her but she shoves food in his mouth.
- Interspecies Friendship: Hannah (human) and Orson (vampire) become fast friends.
- Interspecies Romance: It's heavily implied that they have feelings for each other in the specials. Word of God even confirmed that in the book versions, Orson does have a crush on Hannah.
- Jerkass: Jimmy. His friends to a lesser extent, but they're mostly just following Jimmy's lead. By the time of the sequel, though, they're more like Hanna's friends then Jimmy's.
- Jimmy eventually becomes a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- There's also Harry. In the first movie he's an annoying pest of a Big Eater with absolutely no consideration for anyone but himself. But in Revenge of Jimmy, when it looks like Scary Godmother has been crushed by her house, Harry was overjoyed that he was free from doing chores to pay her back the twelve pizzas he stiffed her for, while Skully and Bug-A-Boo are racked with grief. She wasn't dead, but still.
- Large Ham: Harry the Werewolf.
Harry: (With a flashlight shining on him) Look how that light radiates into my countenance! (Beat) Tis too much for my and my pitied soul! The light burns! It burns worse than the worst burn ever! Oh, mercy me, is this the end for poor Harry? It seems so! Goodbye, mother. I can see a long tunnel with a bright light! I move towards the light! (Scary Godmother gives him a cue to move on) Oh alright! I die! I flail! And I die.
- Last-Second Word Swap: In The Revenge of Jimmy:
Without pumpkins, you ain't got jack...
- Medium Awareness: In The Revenge of Jimmy, Scary Godmother starts noticing "dramatic music".
- Motor Mouth: Harry.
- Narrator: Harry in The Revenge of Jimmy, as part of his repaying Scary Godmother when he eat all the snacks (again) in the first movie.
- Nice Hat: Skully's top hat.
- Bert's red cap that he wears backwards.
- Noodle Incident:
Orson: My mom won't let me use glitter. Not since the incident with the glue and the dog...
- Noodle People: Scary Godmother is a very skinny woman.
- Parental Substitute: Implied. Scary Godmother is very motherly towards Hannah, and the latter shows no doubt that she loves her godmother very much.
- Pink Means Feminine: Hannah's fairy costume and daily clothes are mostly pink.
- Pixellation: This happens to Harry in The Revenge of Jimmy when his shirt disappears.
- Platonic Life Partners: Scary Godmother and Skully are always seen together. Be it helping Scary Godmother's Halloween parties, snarling at Harry, or dancing with each other.
- Red Is Heroic: Inverted with Jimmy when he wears his red devil costume. He's the closes thing to an antagonist, especialliy in Jimmy's Revenge. Possibly played straight after the ending of the sequel.
- Sarcasm Mode: When the humor isn't puns, it's sarcasm.
Scary Godmother: Was that supposed to help?
Skully: Yes! Do you think it worked?
- Sequel Hook: The key Scary Godmother gives Hannah.
- Shipper on Deck: Scary Godmother appears to be this for Hannah and Orson.
- Shout-Out: Scary Godmother's Wicked Witch's act.
- A trick-or-treater dress like Mike the TV. Somewhat appropriate since Mainframe Entertainment made the films.
- Skirt over Slacks: Hannah wears this in her mormal clothes.
- Slasher Smile: Jimmy in The Revenge of Jimmy.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Without the glasses or hair, Orson looks just like his father, Count Max.
- Sweet Tooth: Daryl. He even dresses up as a piece of candy.
- That Came Out Wrong: Hilariously played with in The Revenge of Jimmy.
Orson: Do I have to wear it? I'll look like a dork in the crown!
Max: Yes, you will be the Prince of Dorkness! [Orson groans] What? Dorkness is not good? What is a dork?
- Token Minority: Bert is the only non-white teen of his friends.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Jimmy's favorite meal is spaghetti and meat balls.
- A Witch And Her Ghost Cat: Scary Godmother and her cost cat, Boozles, are pals.
- You Can Panic Now: When Halloween is completely gone from the calendar in The Revenge of Jimmy.