A mildly obscure movie, animated in Denmark in 1984
, Samson And Sally
is a Coming-of-Age Story
centering around a young white whale named Samson. He and his herd live their lives in the Arctic Ocean, eating octopuses
, hiding from the Iron Beasts (whaling ships) who hunt them, and dealing with the destruction that mankind
wreaks on their ocean. Shortly after a run-in with one Iron Beast, the herd comes across an orphaned whale named Sally, who they take in. The two young whales grow closer, eventually leading to a Falling in Love Montage
. Shortly afterwards, Samson leaves the herd to search for his hero, the legendary white whale, Moby-Dick
This film provides examples of:
- After the End: It's implied throughout the movie that mankind is on its last leg and has stopped trying to protect the environment.
- All Myths Are True: Though they might not be quite how they're described. Moby Dick is an old, decrepit whale, living in Atlantis, which is apparently a sunken New York City.
- Babies Ever After: The last scene of the movie shows adult Samson and Sally defending their baby from killer whales.
- Badass Boast: Samson claims to be able to destroy an iron beast with a single strike from his tail.
- Bittersweet Ending
- Coming-of-Age Story
- Does Not Like Spam: Initially, Samson hates eating octopuses. It ends up being a phase, though.
- Falling in Love Montage
- Green Aesop: It's pretty apparent. Along with the usual 'save the whales' aesop, we get one about the environment.
- Hong Kong Dub: The English dub, in several scenes.
- Humans Are Bastards: Over the movie, the whales have to deal with two oil spills, radiation dumping, and whalers.
- Humans Are Cthulhu: They're also one of the only things that can kill a whale.
- Humans Are Morons: As said by Moby Dick, "Mankind is not vicious, mankind is stupid!"
- Let's Meet the Meat: During the BLAM, one of the walruses comes across a can of sardines, who dance down his arm and dive into his mouth.
- Mood Whiplash: Samson's mother death is juxtaposed directly with Samson and Sally's Falling in Love Montage.
- No Name Given: Samson, Sally, and Moby Dick are the only characters whose names are mentioned.
- Parental Abandonment: Both of Sally's parents are dead before the movie begins, and Samson's mother dies in the movie.
- Plucky Comic Relief: The Seagull, also a Deadpan Snarker
- Ruins of the Modern Age: A sunken New York City. Doubles as scenery porn.
- She's A Man In English: In the English dub, Samson's mother is given a deep, clearly male voice in her first scenes. This effectively turns her into a new, unnamed character whose relation to Samson is uncertain.
- Spaghetti Kiss: Done with an octopus tentacle
- Sunken City: New York and others.
- Underwater Ruins: Atlantis, a.k.a. a Sunken New York