series from 1970, produced for CBS
, featured Sabrina, the platinum blond teenage witch from The Archie Show
, as well as her cat, Salem; her boyfriend, Harvey, and her two aunts, Hilda and Zelda. Yes, the same characters from Sabrina the Teenage Witch
, but 20 years earlier
Sabrina often visited Horrible Hall, which was home to the Groovie Goolies: comic versions of classic monster types (vampires
, Frankenstein's Monster
.) who told jokes and played songs. It bore a hit single in 1970, "Chick-A-Boom (Don't Ya Jes' Love It)" by Daddy Dewdrop, the pseudonym of producer Allen Duchovny. The single itself was slightly racy; the version on the cartoon was much more sanitized.
About a year later, the show would be split into its constituent halves and shown separately. In 1972, on the ABC Saturday Superstar Movies
, the Groovie Goolies would appear in a bizarre Crossover
with the Looney Tunes
This series provides examples of:
- Alternative Foreign Theme Song: The Japanese dub has this as its theme song.
- Animated Adaptation
- Animated Series
- Bad Is Good and Good Is Bad: The witches have this viewpoint. Except for Sabrina and Zelda, who are often punished for being too nice.
- Bratty Half Pints: Batso and Ratso
- Canon Foreigner: The Groovie Goolies are spinoffs from Sabrina, but from her animated show, not her comic book series. The characters were owned by Filmation, and never appeared in Archie Comics (or comic books by any other company, for that matter.)
- Catch Phrase: "This place is driving me batty!"
- Frank (after being struck by lightning): "I needed that!"
- Cool Broom: Sabrina's ride had a big cushioned eggshell-like seat with a flower on top. (Aunt Zelda flew a vacuum cleaner.)
- Cross Over: In the aptly named Daffy Duck and Porky Pig Meet the Groovie Goolies.
- Dem Bones: Bonapart and the Bare Boned Band.
- Evil Redhead: Della. Her hair was brown in the comics.
- Evil Twin: Sabrina's Cousin Damina, though she had black hair and a different voice.
- Extraordinarily Empowered Girl
- Fan Of The Underdog: Apparently Frank is a huge fan of Looney Tunes No Respect Guy Daffy Duck.
- Flying Broomstick
- Glamour Failure: Witches cannot be photographed or filmed. One episode mentions that witches can drink a potion that allows them to be filmed but it is very risky to use.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: The Witch Queen Della.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Sabrina. In her defense, witches are evil in this universe. One episode had her wish granted, but she relented when she had to contend with the local Alpha Bitch, who turned out to be Aunt Hilda in disguise.
- Magical Girl
- Monster Mash
- Non-Human Sidekick: Salem the cat
- Rich Bitch: Della, Queen of the Witches in every sense.
- Skeletal Musician: The Bare Boned Band.
- Stock Footage: Common, as in all Filmation series. Footage of vampires Drac and Bella (!) would show up decades later on Filmations Ghostbusters.
- True Blue Femininity: Sweet, demure Sabrina wears a simple blue dress.
- Wicked Witch: Hilda and Zelda both had the traditional appearance, though it was belied by a kindly nature in Zelda's case.