"Robin Hood Daffy" is a 1958 Looney Tunes Animated Short starring Daffy Duck which, as the title implies, casts the acerbic-but-always-lovable fowl in the role of the legendary bandit Robin Hood. The plot involves Daffy's inevitably inept attempts to prove his identity to an aloof friar (played by Porky Pig), by stealing a bag of gold from a wealthy traveller.Not to be confused with another Looney Tunes short "Rabbit Hood" (1949), which stars Bugs Bunny.
This short provides examples of:
- Amusing Injuries: Daffy crashing into the trees and rock, taking a staff to the beak, falling in water, being flattened by a drawbridge.
- Calling Your Attacks: "Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! THRUST!" Beak Snap!Daffy: Hmm, let's see now. Something amiss here... Hmph... I'll run through it. Ho, Ha ha, Guard, Turn, Parry, Dodge, Spin, Ha, Thrust! Beak Snap! Got it!
- Cassandra Truth / Actually, I Am Him:Daffy: But honest and truly, I am Robin Hood! [runs smack into a tree]
Porky: Suuuuuuure you are.
- Contagious Laughter: Daffy doesn't like Porky laughing at him, but eventually even he has to admit it's Actually Pretty Funny.
- Deadpan Snarker: Friar Porky, after one of Daffy's failed attempts to steal the gold.Oh, I don't know how I ever could have doubted you; shall we spend the gold all in one place?
Ho ho, very funny. Ha ha. It is to laugh.
- Daffy also gets in a few digs. Including his response to Porky's line:
- Did Not Think This Through: As a last resort, Daffy stands in front of a drawbridge to stop it from lowering. Big mistake.
- Failure Is the Only Option: It's Daffy Duck. This is not a spoiler, people.
- Hope Spot: One attempt has Daffy try to swing down and swipe the traveller's gold only to be foiled by several trees. Daffy cuts the trees down, then swings away with a triumphant look only to splat against a rock.
- Huge Rider, Tiny Mount: The wealthy traveller and his teeny tiny donkey.
- "I Am" Song: Daffy's little ditty that opens the cartoon.
- Informed Ability: In-Universe. Among other things, the opening credits are displayed by flags on arrows which are shot into a bulls-eye, sequentially, each one right into the shaft of the preceding. At the end the camera pulls back to reveal that Daffy has been shooting the arrows from ONE INCH AWAY.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Daffy tries to kill the traveller with a giant spear. Not only does he miss, the spear actually helps the traveller by forming a bridge over a gully in his path.
- Not Helping Your Case: Failing miserably to stop the traveller only convinces Porky that he isn't Robin Hood.Porky: I'm convinced you're just not Robin Hood.
Daffy: Never mind joining me, I'll join you. Shake hands with Friar Duck.
- Overly Long Gag: Yoiks... and away! *CRASH* Repeat.
- Road Runner vs. Coyote: Daffy and the traveller. Humorously, the traveller never seems to be aware of Daffy's exploits nor even his presence.
- Rule of Three: Daffy's beak. spoiler
- Shadow of Impending Doom: As the boulder Daffy tied the rope to falls towards him.
- Simple Staff: Daffy's trusty quarterstaff. "Actually, it's a buck-and-a-quarter quarterstaff, but I'm not telling him that!"
- Splitting the Arrow: The opening credits have an arrow flying into the centre of a target, followed by a series of arrows each flying into the end of the one before it. The camera pulls back to reveal that Daffy is firing each arrow from less than an inch away.
- Squashed Flat: Daffy when he stands in front of a drawbridge. After it is raised back, he rolls up like a window shade.
- Swapped Roles: The two characters have more or less come full reverse from how they originally started, here Porky is the cheerful heckler to Daffy acting as the frustrated Butt Monkey.
- Watch Out for That Tree!: All of them. "Yoiks... and away!" *CRASH* "Yoiks... and... away!" *CRASH* "Yoeeks...and...uhhwaaay" *CRASH*
- What the Fu Are You Doing?
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: Daffy slips into this when announcing "I am he for whomst thou seekest".