Western Animation: Rescue Heroes
Rescue Heroes began as a toy series by Fisher-Price. It was turned into a Merchandise-Driven children's show on Teletoon that taught kids about safety and a couple of other issues starting back at 1999.The Rescue Heroes Global Response Team is a team of emergency rescue specialists (firefighters, police, mountain climbers, divers, spelunkers, etc.) who are on call at a moment's notice to travel to the sight of big emergencies anywhere in the world and deal with them, usually employing a variety of high-tech vehicles and equipment. All this is directed by astronaut Roger Houston, who watches over the world from a space station. Conceptually very similar to the classic series Thunderbirds, but set in the Present Day.Oh, and absolutely every recurring character has a Meaningful, Punny Name, whether he/she is based on a toy or not.
This animated series provides examples of:
- Action Girl: All the female members of the Rescue Heroes.
- Alliterative Name: Billy Blazes, Wendy Waters, Jake Justice.
- And Knowing Is Half the Battle/Catch Phrase: "Think like a Rescue Hero. Think safe."
- Art Evolution: Season 1 is different design wise from Seasons 2 and 3. This is due to switching from Wang Film Productions (credited as Hong Gaung) to AKOM.
- Badass: Everybody.
- Big Damn Heroes: The Rescue Heroes.
- Big Eater: Rocky.
- Christmas Episode: "All Alone for the Holidays."
- Cool Bike: Jake Justice's.
- Demoted to Extra: Roger after Season 1.
- Embarrassing First Name: Rocky's real name is Richmond as mentioned in "Cave In".
- Emergency Services: The whole show is built around them.
- I Am Not My Father: "Storm of the Century" reveals Billy's father was a construction worker along with all of his ancestors, and expected Billy to follow the same path. When Billy and his brother chose to be firefighters instead, he became frustrated and slowly lost contact with the two over the years. It becomes a major point of contention when they meet up again after years of silence between each other.
- Imagine Spotting: When Jack tells the story of how he became a Rescue Hero in "Flashback to Danger", his Imagine Spot opens with him walking while carrying a huge stack of metal beams at a construction site, to which Rocky asks "How many beams were you carrying!?" Jack admits he was stretching the truth and the Imagine Spot then restarts with him carrying a lunchbox.
- Jerkass: Avery Ator in "Up, Up and Uh Oh".
- Meaningful Name: Every single character's name has to do with their job.
- The Movie: All in CG. Also to provide a very long commercial to promote their new toy.
- Promoted to Opening Titles: Jack starting in Season 2.
- Punny Name: Rocky Canyon, Ariel Flyer, Jack Hammer, and many more.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Averted. Rocky almost quits the Rescue Heroes in "Flashback to Danger" when he makes a mistake during a rescue. Billy convinces Rocky to stay after telling him the story about the only other Rescue Heroes to quit. Turns out that the Rescue Heroes who quit was Billy himself. He ultimately decided to stay with the team after watching an audition tape Rocky had sent in two years prior to events of the episode.
- 10-Minute Retirement: In "When it Rains, it Pours", Ariel, after rescuing a hiker during a forest fire, accept a job to become a spokesperson for the National Safety Council in order to teach kids about safety. After a while, she starts to miss being a Rescue Hero. Ultimately, she rejoins the team and decide to create a website to teach kids about saftey. Out of all the other Rescue Heroes, Rocky was the one who was not happy about Ariel leaving.
- Tomboy: Ariel.
- Traveling at the Speed of Plot: The location of the accident in each episode seems to never be a detriment to how quickly the team arrives, despite how widely they can vary from episode to episode. This even applies to the space station.
- Where the Hell Is Springfield?: While the locations of each disaster are always written in text and sometimes even directly stated, the exact location of the command center is never revealed or hinted at.
- Whole Episode Flashback