Western Animation: Pond Life
Pond Life was a British animated television series created by Candy Guard. It ran for two seasons in 1996 and 2000 on Channel Four, and, despite being a cartoon, its target audience was women.The series revolves around Dolly Pond (hence the title Pond Life) and the trouble she has living in an unnamed cul-de-sac, in a flat below her ex-boyfriend Nobby, with a job at the local shop due to never having gone to college. The worst part? She's in her 30s!Not to be confused with that Pond Life.
Tropes seen in Pond Life:
- Accidental Misnaming: When Dolly's mother gets arrested during Birthday Suit, she gets identified as "Fingers Pond".Shop assistant: I'm sorry, Mrs Fingers, but you'll have to come with me to the office.Ivy Pond: She's delirious, my name's Ivy!
- A-Cup Angst: Dolly is often ridiculed for her small assets.
- Blind Without 'Em: Dolly's father.
- Butt Monkey: Dolly
- Casanova Wannabe: Nobby can be this at times.
- Chubby Chaser: In the episode Fat, Dolly gains some weight and starts dating one, not realising he only likes her for her body.
- Cool Old Lady: Mrs A, the shopkeeper.
- Deadpan Snarker: Dolly
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: The episode Good-Looking Boyfriend introduced two French characters, Didier and Michelle, whom every other character perceived as being drop-dead gorgeous.
- Eye Glasses: Dolly never takes her glasses off.
- The only episode where she does is Fit, although even then we never see her face.
- First Name Ultimatum: Nobby gets this a lot.
- Groin Attack: Dolly's father gets this in Bitter and Twisted.
- Mistaken for Gay: In Bitter and Twisted, when Dolly's therapist stands outside her flat serenading her, one of the other characters enters and mistakes Dolly and the Therapist for being a lesbian couple.Gloria: Dolly! I never would've thought... a woman!
- Mistaken for Pregnant: A shop assistant does it to Dolly in the episode Birthday Suit.
- You're Just Jealous: In the episode Mr Wrong, Nobby says this to Dolly.