They don't actually live in a pond.Pond Life
was a British animated television series created by Candy Guard. It ran for two seasons in 1996 and 2000 on Channel Four
, and, despite being a cartoon, its target audience was women.
The series revolves around Dolly Pond
(hence the title Pond Life
) and the trouble she has living in an unnamed cul-de-sac, in a flat below her ex-boyfriend Nobby, with a job at the local shop due to never having gone to college. The worst part? She's in her 30s!
Not to be confused with that
Tropes seen in Pond Life:
- Accidental Misnaming: When Dolly's mother gets arrested during Birthday Suit, she gets identified as "Fingers Pond".
Shop assistant: I'm sorry, Mrs Fingers, but you'll have to come with me to the office.
Ivy Pond: She's delirious, my name's Ivy!
- A-Cup Angst: Dolly is often ridiculed for her small assets.
- Blind Without 'Em: Dolly's father.
- Butt Monkey: Dolly
- Casanova Wannabe: Nobby can be this at times.
- Chubby Chaser: In the episode Fat, Dolly gains some weight and starts dating one, not realising he only likes her for her body.
- Cool Old Lady: Mrs A, the shopkeeper.
- Deadpan Snarker: Dolly
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: The episode Good-Looking Boyfriend introduced two French characters, Didier and Michelle, whom every other character perceived as being drop-dead gorgeous.
- Eye Glasses: Dolly never takes her glasses off.
- The only episode where she does is Fit, although even then we never see her face.
- First Name Ultimatum: Nobby gets this a lot.
- Groin Attack: Dolly's father gets this in Bitter and Twisted.
- Mistaken for Gay: In Bitter and Twisted, when Dolly's therapist stands outside her flat serenading her, one of the other characters enters and mistakes Dolly and the Therapist for being a lesbian couple.
Gloria: Dolly! I never would've thought... a woman!
- Mistaken for Pregnant: A shop assistant does it to Dolly in the episode Birthday Suit.
- You're Just Jealous: In the episode Mr Wrong, Nobby says this to Dolly.