Western Animation: Nellie The Elephant
Nellie the Elephant is a cartoon for children from the director of the first two Mr. Men cartoons and the Animated Adaptation of Bananaman, which was broadcast in 1990.Based on the nursery rhyme of The Fifties, Nellie is a pink fat elephant who leaves the circus to the island of Mandalay with the other elephants, but yes, there is an antagonist, and it's the Ringmaster, who, in each episode, tries to get her back to the circus! Nellie goes to all sorts of places before she leaves, such as beaches and Ski Resorts, and she apparently loves it, but it might not always go to plan.The show was narrated by Tony Robinson, with Lulu not only singing the Title Theme Tune, but also voicing Nellie. Only 33 episodes were made, but still, the show was considered essential for children.
- Animated Adaptation: Well, sort of...
- Beach Episode: Goes to Sea and At the Seaside.
- Catch Phrase: Ta-tum-ta-ta!
- Every Episode Ending: Nellie is always seen thinking about the Head of the Herd calling her, she says goodbye and leaves at the end of every episode.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every episode starts with the protagonist's name.
- Imagine Spot: See Every Episode Ending above.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: The big fat pink elephant appears in one children's compilation for charity, and that's Rescues Mrs. Marple's Moggy in NSPCC Children's TV Favourites Volume 2 in 1993.
- No One Should Survive That: See Too Dumb to Live below.
- Scenery Porn: For 1990, the scenery looks pretty cool, but Rescues Mrs. Marple's Moggy takes the crown.
- Short Runner: Only 33 episodes were made.
- Title Theme Tune
- Too Dumb to Live: In Takes the Train, Nellie eats loads of cakes and gets fat, then she gets stuck in the train door. The passengers try to pull her out, but it doesn't help... she had to stay between the door all night (actually 4 minutes on screen, obviously), until she squiggled, and wiggled, and bumped!
- You Are Fat: Nellie. Especially in Takes the Train.