Western Animation: Mia and the Migoo
aka: Miaandthe Migoo
Mia and the Migoo (original title Mia et le Migou) is a 2008 France/Italy animated movie. Winning EFA award for best animated feature film in 2009.It's about a tan-skinned, long-haired (but not for long) girl named Mia and her quest to find her father Pedro, a laborer who has been trapped in a landslide at a disaster-plagued construction site on a remote tropical lake. Mia seems to feel his plight and embarks on an adventure to save him. Meanwhile, the brash hotel promoter is alarmed by the discovery of a huge footprint and other incidents on the site. At the same time, the man behind the construction, Jekhide (slicked-back black hair, fancy white suit and a devil’s grin) journeys with his financial backers to sell the project. And he was forced too take his son Aldrin with him. The story is not complicated and revolves around a very classical theme man vs nature.But my God it looks BEAUTIFUL. Where movie stands out it its animation style. It uses bright strong watercolours and pastels. In a way, some of the scenes in this film are more beautiful than in Miyazaki’s because of this artistic choice. Much effort was put into making Mia and the Migoo into a visually appealing experience. On top of the pastel/watercolour work, all vehicles and technology appear to have been animated with CG, making them look sharper and slightly out of place in nature (which they are).
- Abusive Dad: Jekhide to Adrian, emotionally.
- Big Beautiful Woman: The fat lady who helped Mia snuck in the bus without a ticket.
- Does Not Like Shoes: A few people are shown barefoot. In Mia's case, it's due to Barefoot Poverty.
- The End of the World as We Know It: What would happen if the tree is destroyed and a new seed doesn't get planted.
- Green Aesop
- Happy Rain
- Happy Ending
- Heel-Face Turn
- Heel Realization
- Important Haircut
- It's All About Me: Jekhide.
- Laser-Guided Karma
- Missing Mom: Mia's mom passed away sometime before the movie. Adrian's mom is away in research in Antarctica.
- My God, What Have I Done?
- Relationship Revolving Door: It appears that Jekhide and his wife are back together again.
- Rousseau Was Right
- Scenery Porn
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!