Western Animation / Little People
is a stop-motion animated
series produced by Egmont Imagination, based on the Fisher-Price
toys. The series follows the adventures of Eddie and his frog Freddie, Sarah Lynn- Eddie's sister, Michael, Maggie, and Sonya Lee.
Fisher-Price has announced a complete Continuity Reboot
of the franchise on it's website, now helmed by Genevieve Goings
of Choo Choo Soul
fame and produced by DHX Media
, in cel-shaded CGI. Noticably, this version retools Eddie, but retires the rest of the other characters, while introducing a new set of characters. This version also faces a slight genre shift as the episodes are now Web Original
, only available from Fisher-Price's official video sources (i.e. their own website, and their Youtube channel).
As of March 2016, it has been spun back into a TV show. The new series airs on Sprout
weekdays at 7AM.
Not to be confused with short fantasy races
, really short fantasy races
, an episode of The Twilight Zone
, or a series about real life people with dwarfism
contains examples of:
Tropes found in two or more versions.
Tropes found exclusively in the claymation show:
- Art Initiates Life: Michael's power.
- Black Bead Eyes: All of the characters, but most noticeable with Sonya Lee.
- Credits Gag: The closing credits screens include amusing headings such as "The Big People Who Like to Tell People What to Do" for the screen listing the directors, "The Big People Who REALLY Tell People What to Do" for the production company and producers and "The Big People Who Like to Think They are VERY IMPORTANT" for the executive producers.
- Crying Wolf: Using a monkey who tells a tale about a flying elephant instead.
- Friend to All Living Things: Sonya Lee's power.
- Four-Fingered Hands
- Off Model: The claymation models of the characters have a visible neck compared to the toys and cartoon-style illustrations found on most of the merchandise, where the characters have no visible neck at all. Although this normally isn't a problem and most people don't realize it until they start examining stills from the claymation show carefully.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Michael and Eddie. Michael is more reserved and enjoys drawing and making art. Eddie is loud and loves to go fast and driving cars.
- Super-Deformed: Faithful to the toys.
- Theme Tune Cameo: In "About Music," a clown named Smiley played a triumphant, brassy version of the theme tune.
- Theme Tune Roll Call
- Title Theme Tune
Tropes found in the 2013 reboot
- Art Shift: The general style of the web episodes are cel-shaded 3D. However the TV series goes full CGI 3D.
- Cel Shading: The animation style of the web episodes are clearly done in CGI 3D then cel-shaded to give it the cartoony look. Averted with the 2016 TV series.
- Cool Teacher: Miss Hugg. It's implied that her earrings are magical.
- Put on a Bus: Sonya Lee, Michael, Maggie, Sarah Lynn, and everyone else from the claymation series.
- Shout-Out: The opening scene in the pilot features a classic Little People toy.