"Hillbilly Hare" is a 1950 Merrie Melodies
cartoon starring Bugs Bunny
. Bugs is vacationing in the Ozarks when he runs into two stereotypical hillbillies who get the idea that Bugs is a member of another clan that they are feuding with. After embarrassing and outwitting the hillbillies in typical Bugs Bunny fashion, Bugs tricks them into a long, elaborate square dance routine in which he gives them increasingly violent directions, until the brothers finally dance off a cliff.
One of The 100 Greatest Looney Tunes
. Directed by Robert McKimson
- Aerith and Bob: The two hillbillies are named Punkinhead and Curt.
- Backwards-Firing Gun: Bugs does this by turning the barrel around after one of the hillbillies pulls the trigger.
- Deep South: The Ozarks! Where hillbillies wander around the forest barefoot, wearing overalls fastened by one strap!
- Disguised in Drag: One of Bugs's go-to tactics, which he uses here to lure the hillbillies into the square dance.
- Eye Poke: Bugs gets the brothers to do this to each other during the square dance routine.
- Feuding Families: The hillbillies, brothers from the Martin clan, believe Bugs is one of the Coys.
- Overly-Long Gag: The square dance takes up the whole second half of the cartoon.
- Packed Hero: Packed Villain in this case, as Bugs lures the brothers into a hay baler.