Western Animation: Hair High
is a 2004 animated film by Bill Plympton
. The movie falls somewhere between romantic comedy, and horror
, or Horror Romantic Comedy
... But one thing that can be agreed on is it's a trip
what with this being a Bill Plympton work and all.
Rod and Cherri rule the school as the prom king and queen, respectively. Spud, the new kid in town, accidentally offends both Cherri and Rod and so is forced to become Cherri's slave. Naturally, they immediately hate each other, but later fall in love
. However, Rod is not too pleased with this and having already warned Spud beforehand, this could mean trouble.
The following tropes include:
- Accidental Public Confession: Rod tried to cover the fact that Spud and Cherri had drowned in the lake (after he butted them off the road) by saying that they moved to Mexico. Come next year's prom when Spud and Cherri, as skeletons, return that night and attempt to reclaim the crown but Rod refused to believe that that's them by saying out loud they drowned in Echo Lake... Nice.
- Alpha Bitch: Cherri, at first. Darlene is a straighter example.
- Beehive Hairdo: Some characters as part of its '50s-'60s motif.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Up to Eleven with Spud and Cherri. They even outright torture each other in one scene only to find themselves staring into each others eyes afterwards... and then quickly turning away.
- Black Comedy: Everything that's immoral, disgusting, and possibly just plain offensive is Played for Laughs.
- Cool Car: Rod owns one to which he is very attached with.
- The Cheerleader
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Cherri begins to fall in love with Spud after some strong tension.
- Dem Bones: Spud and Cherri (who are apparently undead) return to the following year's prom with their bodies already decomposed. Naturally, everybody is shocked.
- Deranged Animation: It goes without saying.
- Disney Acid Sequence: Spud and Cherri's kiss stand out in particular simply to visualize the feeling.
- Double Entendre: Discussed. The scene with Rod and Darlene.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: In a way, despite Spud and Cherri both dying. They share a kiss at prom in the end while they symbolically revert to their human forms.
- Foreshadowing: At the beginning when the guy squishes two flies that were, er, having sex on the table, it prompted JoJo to tell them the story of Cherri and Spud. Also, the ballad played a few times in the movie as background music had the lyrics explicitly mention that the couple die on the way to the prom.
- The Fifties/The Sixties: The film seems to allude both periods.
- Framing Device: The movie is a story JoJo is telling to a young couple who are on the way to prom.
- Gorn: Somewhat. Especially with Mr. Snerz who after choking on a cigarette, he coughs up all of his guts on the table. Then the students, with the help of Spud's knowledge in Biology, attempt to hurl it back in in the proper order! The image is just as pretty as what you might expect.
- The Hero Dies
- High School: Which gives us...
- Jerk Jock: Rod.
- Karmic Death: Rod is devoured by the animals from Spud and Cherri's skeletons after their arrival.
- Mood Whiplash: Gory, surreal imagery, and death is thrown everywhere.
- More so in-universe. Zip seems to have been crushed after falling off the scoreboard and the whole stadium is silent for awhile. Then the cheerleaders begin dancing and everything is back to normal with the crowd cheering and music playing.
- Raging Stiffie: Rod gives Zip one in the form of an aphrodisiac disguised as a tonic so he could have the courage to ask Darlene out for the prom. After drinking the whole thing, he began humping at just about everyone and everything.
- Seemingly Wholesome '50s Girl: Every prim and proper looking young lady.
- Teenage Death Song: If such a song was adapted into a film (and some random, crazy stuff thrown in), this would be it.
- Too Dumb to Live: Zip, literally. He's the first one to die (though it's not quite clear if the scene in the church is anything to go by) after dry humping a giant image of a chicken on the scoreboard and falling from it.