Western Animation: Duck! Rabbit! Duck!
"Duck! Rabbit! Duck!" is a 1953 Merrie Melodies short directed by Chuck Jones. It is the third and final installment of the "hunting trilogy", following "Rabbit Fire" and "Rabbit Seasoning".When Elmer Fudd goes hunting, Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny find themselves again locked in battle.
Tropes Used In This Short Include:
- And I'm the Queen of Sheba: In the face of Bugs' antics, Daffy pulls out this trope: "If he's dead, then I'm a mongoose!" Of course, it backfires spectacularly.
- Amusing Injuries: The shotgun blasts in the face annoy more than harm Daffy, and easily half of the visual humor in the short comes from the various ways that his bill ends up in some place other than its normal position afterwards.
- Crazy Survivalist: Daffy, because it's actually duck season.I'm a duck bent of self-preservation.
- Elmuh Fudd Syndwome: From the Trope Namer.
- Freak Out: Daffy eventually snaps from multiple gunshots.Shoot me again! I enjoy it! I love the smell of burnt feathers, and gun powder, and cordite! I'm an elk! Shoot me, go on! It's elk season! I'm a fiddler crab! Why don't you shoot me? It's fiddler crab season!
- Elmer has a milder one after being told by the "game warden" (Bugs) that it's baseball season.
- Guile Hero: Bugs, naturellement.
- Harmless Villain: By this short, Elmer is essentially reduced to Daffy's stooge, only shooting his prey according to what they "order" him to do. Even abiding by that, he succeeds in only irritating Daffy with Amusing Injuries.
- Laughing Mad: Elmer at the end of the episode.
- Running Gag: Bugs getting Elmer to shoot Daffy by telling him that Daffy is a particular type of animal that is in season.
- Overly Long Gag: Becomes this because it continues for the entire episode.
- My God, What Have I Done?: When Elmer seemingly shoots Bugs, and sees him come down (as a fake-angel) asking how things are down on Earth, he becomes regretful.Elmer: Golly, Mr. Wabbit, I hope I didn't hurt you too much when I killed you.
- Sanity Slippage: Both Elmer and Daffy, since they constantly get outsmarted by Bugs.
- Talking with Signs: Bugs pulls out a "X Season" sign every time Daffy says he's a particular animal
- You Just Had to Say It: After Elmer is gone, Bugs ask Daffy what season it really is, to which Daffy nonchalantly admits it's Duck Season, resulting every hunter in hiding coming out and shooting at him.