Western Animation: Dinosaucers
was a short lived but fondly remembered Animal Superheroes
cartoon from the United States that lasted only one season. (A particularly long season that was about 65 episodes, all of which ran in syndication for a while, but one season none the less.) It is about a war carried out on Earth between two groups of anthropomorphic dinosaurs from outer space. The good Dinosaurs are the titular Dinosaucers who fight a group of evil dinosaurs, the Tyrannos. The Dinosaucers have also recruited a bunch of earth kids called the Secret Scouts to help them in their fight. Why? It was the 80's! Every show had kids being recruited to fight some kind of evil
The Dinosaucers also have an underused power called Dinovolving, which transforms them into normal, non-anthro dinosaurs while retaining all their other human-like abilities (talking, ect.) However it's rarely used and usually didn't appear for entire episodes. The Tyrannos themselves do not have this ability, but they do have a Transformation Ray
gun that does essentially the same thing — but the now-normal animal character has that animal's intelligence as well. The device is usually used on the Tyrannos themselves for comedic effect
The Dinosaucers include:
- Allo: An Allosaurus who led the group.
- Dimetro: A Dimetrodon (though he looks more like an 80's Spinosaurus, see below) who was the group's mechanic/scientist. Had a slight Scottish accent.
- Bronto Thunder: An Apatosaurus... or Brontosaurus. That name is always confusing for writers it seems. Was considered second in command.
- Stego: A Stegosaurus who was easily frightened and prone to panic attacks. Somehow he is able to stick his head inside his armor like a turtle. Don't ask how.
- Tricero: A Triceratops who used to be a detective back on the Dinosaucer's home planet, Reptilon. Talks in a voice that can be considered a slight parody of film noir detectives.
- Bonehead: Allo's nephew who was very stupid. For some reason, while his uncle is an Allosaurus he is a Pachycephalosaurus... yeah.
- Ichy: Pronounced 'Icky'. He's an Ichthyosaurus, a prehistoric marine reptile. He can swim very fast and communicate with other sea animals. For some reason, this sounds familiar.
- Teryx: The only female of the group. She's a multitalented Archaeopteryx who's second in command, apparently can speak to birds and conducts medical and physics experiments in her spare time. She has a crush on Ichy, but is afraid the relationship won't work because, well, she's a flyer and he's a swimmer.
The Secret Scouts include:
- Ryan and Sarah Spencer: They're brother and sister, but he doesn't get into as much trouble as his sister does (although a lot of it is more getting into adventures rather than Distressed Damsel, thankfully), so he doesn't show up as much.
- Paul: An African American with glasses, appears to be a computer whiz.
- David: The tough guy of the scouts. Well, as tough as you can be while fighting dinosaurs from space, of course.
The Tyrannos include:
- Genghis Rex: The bombastic leader of the Tyrannos. Although why it's not entirely certain, as he's usually a perpetual failure. He's, of course, a Tyrannosaurus rex. Previously had a relationship with Teryx (which she wisely broke off), but he still carries a torch for her.
- Ankylo: An Ankylosaurus who snorts like a pig, though he has about half the smarts of one.
- Quackpot: A Hadrosaurus, with sharp fangs at the end of his bill, who acts the comic relief of the Tyrannos. He sounds like a 20's gangster, and keeps making quack noises when he talks. Was once forced into a Heel-Face Turn, but was even worse as an ally then an enemy.
- Brachio: The Brute strongman of the Tyrannos, though on occasion he can gadgeteer. He's nominally a Brachiosaurus, but his teeth are filed into fangs, too!
- Styraco: A Styracosaurus who use to be a dentist(!!!) before joining Rex.
- Plesio: A Plesiosaurus with a lisp who acts as a Mad Scientist, Gadgeteer Genius, and an aquatic evil counterpart to Ichy.
- Terrible Dactyl: An English accented Pteranodon who wears a pilot's helmet and a white scarf. Acts as a scout for the Tyrannos, and has not-entirely-unfriendly aerial rivalry with Teryx. Came very close to making a genuine Heel-Face Turn after a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming but, sadly, Status Quo Is God.
The entire show's premise may be ridiculous, but hey... it's dinosaurs
, and it was boosted by general tongue-in-cheek writing and pretty good characters. Compare/contrast the genuinely ridiculous Extreme Dinosaurs
and Dino Squad