Butt Ugly Martians
was a rather short-lived CGI cartoon that ran on Nickelodeon
between 2002 and 2003. It focused on three butt-ugly Martians named B-Bop a Luna, 2T Fru-T and Do Wah Diddy who were reluctantly sent as scouts to the planet Earth under the commander of their ruler, the Emperor Bog, to make it suitable for conquest. However, they take a liking to Earth and its culture and instead pretend they enslaved it by sending fake progress reports to their boss. Bog starts to get suspicious of the reports, sending in forces to check out on how the trip is progressing, forcing the aliens to defend themselves and their newfound home when the time comes.
- Absolute Xenophobe: Dr. Brady Hacksaw (who takes delight in dissecting anything that isn't human), as opposed to the more-tolerant Muldoon (who just wants to prove that aliens exist—and get them to appear on his TV show—and readily accepts that the Martians are friendly when presented with proof).
- Acting for Two: A necessity with such a small voice cast, although perhaps the best example is that Emperor Bog and Dr. Damage were both played by S. Scott Bullock.
- Aliens Speaking English: Emperor Bog noted once to a captured Mike that "We Martians speak many languages."
- All-CGI Cartoon
- The Dragon: The more competent Dr. Damage, to the lazy and whiny Emperor Bog.
- Forgotten Superweapon: The Butt-Uglies only ever changed into their Butt-Kicking Mode suits when there were only a few minutes to go in the episode.
- And on top of that, all three of them have to be together for it to activate. Luckily this only came up once.
- The Goggles Do Nothing: Mike.
- Interspecies Romance: Do-Wah has something of a bashful crush on Angela.
- It Is Pronounced Tro PAY: Damage's name is pronounced "duh-mahj."
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Whenever Muldoon saw a little too much, the Butt-Uglies would let him have it with a purple gas that would knock him out and make him forget most of the episode.
- Monster of the Week: These tended to come in two varieties: non-Martian-affiliated aliens who wanted to take over or destroy the Earth for their own reasons (and who the Butt-Uglies would defeat supposedly for the glory of the Martian invasion), and alien mercenaries Bog would send to help the Butt-Uglies conquer Earth. With how un-conquered Earth is, the Butt-Uglies both have to defeat the other alien and hide their lack of conquest from Bog.
- The Reptilians: Lt. Penkan of the never-named-in-print Zwarat.
- The Resolution Will Not Be Televised
- Space Jews: Rinko the gambler alien.
- The Starscream: Dr. Damage to Emperor Bog, he even takes over for an episode by attempting to kill him.
- Super Mode: Or rather, Butt-Kicking Mode.
- Theme Naming: All friendly-to-Earth Martians were named after 1950s songs, including occasional love interest Shaboom-Shaboom.