Western Animation: Bugs and Thugs
"Bugs and Thugs" is a 1953 Looney Tunes short starring Bugs Bunny. In this cartoon, Bugs goes to the bank to withdraw some carrots from his safe deposit box, only to blunder into the getaway car of bank robber Rocky and his Mook Mugsy. (He thinks it's a taxi.) After getting away, Rocky decides Bugs needs to be eliminated. Hilarity Ensues as Bugs outwits the criminals.Directed by Friz Freleng.
- Ash Face: Mugsy after Bugs shoots him.
- Backup Bluff: Bugs fakes the sound of a squad of cops coming to get them, complete with sirens.
- Bank Robbery: They don't get the carrots.
- Diminishing Villain Threat: Rocky and his goons were a sinister menace against Daffy and Sylvester in previous shorts (and even won in Golden Yeggs). Naturally against Bugs, he quickly meets his match, especially paired with his far stupider mook, Mugsy.
- Hammerspace Hideaway: Bugs crams both of the crooks into a tiny oven.
- He Knows Too Much: Rocky's stated motivation for getting rid of Bugs.
- Here We Go Again: After Bugs pretends to talk to a policeman while Rocky and Mugsy hide in the stove (and Bugs lights it to "prove" he's not there), the real police come and the entire exchange happens again... except this time Rocky and Mugsy break out and beg to be arrested.
- Literal Metaphor: Rocky tells Mugsy to "button your lip", and Mugsy... does.
- Literal-Minded: Mugsy lets Bugs have it.
- Look Both Ways: At a railroad crossing, Rocky asks Bugs to see if the train is approaching. Bugs looks both ways and gives the all clear. Rocky crosses... and is hit by the express train.
- Officer O'Hara: The real cops are Irish, as is Bugs' impression of a cop.
- Pity the Kidnapper: When the cops finally arrive, Rocky and Mugsy beg to be taken away from Bugs (using the exact same voice too).
- Reaching Between the Lines: As Bugs calls the cops on a phone booth, Rocky drags him back in the car and drives off while he's still holding the receiver. The cop on the other line is pulled through the booth and dragged down the road before the line snaps.
- Rhymes on a Dime: The final lines.Bugs: Hello, Bugs Bunny Detective Agency. Thugs thwarted, arsonists arrested, bandits booked, forgers found, counterfeiters caught and chiselers chiseled.
- Shutting Up Now:Rocky: Shut up!Bugs: Shut u-up? Why certainly! You don't think I'm the type that would keep on blabbin'? Some people never know when to stop. When I'm told to shut up, I shut up...Rocky: [sticks gun in Bugs's face] Shut up shut-in' up!
- Verbal Irony: "Boy am I glad I live in the city where it's safe", says Bugs, as he blissfully crosses the street reading his paper, unaware of all the traffic that keeps just missing him, or the bank robbery in-progress.
- Wipe That Smile Off Your Face: "I said button yer lip." So Mugsy literally does.