"Bugs and Thugs" is a 1953 Looney Tunes
short starring Bugs Bunny
. In this cartoon, Bugs goes to the bank to withdraw some carrots from his safe deposit box, only to blunder into the getaway car of bank robber Rocky and his Mook
Mugsy. (He thinks it's a taxi.) After getting away, Rocky decides Bugs needs to be eliminated. Hilarity Ensues
as Bugs outwits the criminals.
Directed by Friz Freleng
- Ash Face: Mugsy after Bugs shoots him.
- Backup Bluff: Bugs fakes the sound of a squad of cops coming to get them, complete with sirens.
- Bank Robbery: They don't get the carrots.
- Hammerspace Hideaway: Bugs crams both of the crooks into a tiny oven.
- He Knows Too Much: Rocky's stated motivation for getting rid of Bugs.
- Here We Go Again
- Literal Metaphor: Rocky tells Mugsy to "button your lip", and Mugsy... does.
- Literal-Minded: Mugsy lets Bugs have it.
- Officer O'Hara: The real cops are Irish, as is Bugs' impression of a cop.
- Pity the Kidnapper: When the cops finally arrive, Rocky and Mugsy beg to be taken away from Bugs (using the exact same voice too).
- Rhymes on a Dime
- Shutting Up Now:
Rocky: Shut up!
Bugs: Shut u-up? Why certainly! You don't think I'm the type that would keep on blabbin'? Some people never know when to stop. When I'm told to shut up, I shut up...
Rocky: [sticks gun in Bugs's face] Shut up shut-in' up!
- Verbal Irony: "Boy am I glad I live in the city where it's safe", says Bugs, as he blissfully crosses the street reading his paper, unaware of all the traffic that keeps just missing him, or the bank robbery in-progress.