Brandy & Mr. Whiskers
was an American animated television series about a snobbish dog and a hyperactive rabbit that get stuck in the Amazon Rain Forest together. The show originally aired from August 2004 to August 2006. It was televised in the United States by Disney Channel
, and then aired on Toon Disney
Brandy and Mr. Whiskers start getting acquainted as they began their new lives in the Amazon Rain Forest. They build a treehouse to live in, using debris that fell out the plane's cargo compartment ... along with them. A big part of the series is Brandy's desperation to getting back to her home in Palm Beach, Florida. In the meantime, both she and Mr. Whiskers adapt by exploring the environment and making friends with the native animals. Brandy makes attempts to get the jungle to become a civilized society by introducing elements such as fashion, hygiene, and currency ("shiny rocks"). Mr. Whiskers prefers to mix things up by using the powers of invention and imagination to occupy his time, but it usually causes havoc in the jungle. This affects his popularity.
As Brandy and Mr. Whiskers get more settled in the jungle, a lot of changes are put in order. They redecorated the treehouse by giving the interior a more "homely environment", which includes flowery wallpaper, tasteful decor, and an indoor bathroom (this was after Mr. Whisker's new "dream house" was destroyed). The native animals have also become more anthropomorphic as they have now established a new market economy in the Amazon. They have developed clothing, consumer products, restaurants, theme parks, TV commercials, a boy band called Sugartoad, and a shopping mall. These drastic changes are possibly the cause of Brandy's influence to use shiny rocks as currency. The lack of adaptation has also lowered Brandy's desire to getting back home (as it is not as mentioned).
Now has a character sheet
This Disney Channel Original animated series contains examples of:
- Accidental Athlete
- Adorkable: Ed certainly qualifies.
- Alpha Bitch: Brandy Harrington, of the Florida Harringtons, and Margo the Stick Bug.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Mr. Whiskers is a surrogate one for Brandy.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: From I am Rainfo. *Lola breaks in * "AAAH! The boa constrictor, it squeezes the life out of it's prey!" *Cheryl and Meryl break in* "AAAH! Toucans, they use their beaks to crush fruits and defenseless animals!" *Ed breaks in* "AAAH! The river otter, it tells long boring stories and has a very weak bladder!"
- Bare Your Midriff: Obviously Brandy, but also Tiffany.
- Big Bad: Gaspar. Almost every episode he appears in shows him as the main antagonist, and anything that isn't caused by either Brandy's selfishness or Whiskers' stupidity is usually caused by him.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: A lot.
Lola: Brandy, this isn't a cartoon! This is real life!
: (a beat
, then she turns to the camera) I don't have the heart to tell her.
- Butt Monkey: Both Brandy and Mr. Whiskers are put through hell quite frequently.
- Chained Heat: Brandy and Whiskers spend an episode glued together back to back.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Mr. Whiskers and Ed.
- Crack Defeat: Subverted. In "Pop Goes the Jungle" Brandy wins the singing contest because the judges are howler monkeys.
- Credit Card Plot
- Cursed with Awesome: Radio Free Bunny
- Didn't Think This Through: Brandy reinvented currency so she would regain her Rich Bitch status. What she didn't realize is the way money works; While the more Genre Savvy animals followed up by constructing official buildings and workplaces to earn money. Brandy just sat there waiting. As a result, Gaspar ended up as a millionaire (even before tricking Mr. Whiskers into a huge creditcard debt although it sure helped). Brandy on the other hand had to work on a fastfood restaurant just to make a living. A job that she was too lazy to keep nevertheless.
- Expository Theme Tune
- Exposed Animal Bellybutton: Brandy and Tiffany.
- Formally Named Animal: Mr. Whiskers
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: In "Two Heads are Not Better Than One", Brandy, dressed in only a grass skirt together with her traditional pink shirt, is getting the treehouse ready for a party when Whiskers comes back having grown a second head. Upon thinking she 'should be more freaked out' she learns the second head can talk which causes Brandy to go into a Wild Take. During this, we see the underside of Brandy's grass skirt (she's wearing panties underneath, but still one wonders how that got past Standards and Practices)!
- In another episode, Mr.Whiskers' brain throws a party and everyone is dancing. Everyone except Ed who appears to be passed out over a piano.
- Heroic BSOD
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Brandy in "Pop Goes the Jungle".
- I Owe You My Life: The episode "Payback". Also hangs a lampshade on what normally happens in that sort of situation:
Brandy: This isn't that "I saved your life so you become hopelessly annoyingly devoted to me" plot is it?
Whiskers: It is, sorry we had to do it sooner or later.
- Keet: Mr.Whiskers. Dear lord, Mr.Whiskers.
- The Minnesota Fats: Sandy and Mr. Frisky.
- Misplaced Wildlife: South American tapirs are Brown, not Black and White (they live in Asia)
- Muscles Are Meaningless: In "Big Girls Don't Body Slam" Brandy becomes a pro wrestler and despite keeping her usual slim figure she defeats many really buff opponents.
- Name and Name
- Nice Guy: Ed the otter is pretty much this.
- No Ending: We'll just assume they never go home.
- After finding that giant shopping mall, it's likely that Brandy just stopped wanting to go back.
- No Fourth Wall
- Nothing but Skin and Bones: In the episode "Wolfie: Prince of the Jungle" Brandy has a bunch of fashion magazines on the floor. One of them has a literal skeleton on it.
- Odd Couple: The show's premise
- Organ Autonomy: Mr Whiskers' brain.
- Raised by Wolves: Wolfie was raised by monkeys. Ed hangs a lampshade on the fact that the monkeys in the rainforest act much more civilised than him and it's handwaved by saying his adoptive father was raised by a panther and the panther was raised by a palm tree.
- Reality Ensues: One episode features the obligatory "House Keeper Equals Parental Substitute" plot. It ends with said house keeper revealing that she holds absolutely no maternal love for either of them; taking care of them was her job, she wasn't doing it out of love.
- Rich Bitch: Brandy (Literally!).
- Eventually subverted: She invented currency in the form of shiny rocks... Only to realize she know nothing about EARNING money.
- Saving Christmas: "On Whiskers, on Lola, on Cheryl, on Meryl"
- Smug Snake: Gaspar Gecko. Not Lola Boa.
- Stay with Me Until I Die: Subverted in Rip Van Whiskers.
- "Strangers on a Train"-Plot Murder: In Dog Play Afternoon, Gaspar and Brandy are understudies for the main leads of the play. Gaspar suggests Brandy to play dirty:
Brandy: Come on! If something happens to the stars, It would be obvious we did it!
- Swallowed Whole: This happens to Mr. Whiskers on several occasions.
- Talking Animal
- Unexplained Accent: Lola is the only Amazonian with a South American accent.
- Weird Currency: Brandy establishes a market economy based on the exchange of shiny rocks.
- Yiddish as a Second Language: Mr Whiskers' brain.