Western Animation / Animal Crackers
is an animated series that aired on Teletoon
in 1997, and based on a comic that's been running in newspapers since 1930
. It was produced by Cinar with association from Alphanim. The series is set in the fictional land of Freeborn, and follows the lives of several of its animal inhabitants.
- Gnu: A gnu who leads a local herd. He is, however, lazy and timid, and often has a bad sense of direction. As a result, his herd are rather eager to get away from him. He's also a single father trying to do right by his son.
- Lyle: A lion who is anything but a king of the beasts. He's a passive Momma's Boy whose main goal appears to be to get Lana to date him, despite how clear she makes it that she doesn't quite feel that way about him. In fact, whenever Lyle tries to do something to get her to like him, it usually gets sabotaged.
- Dodo: The last dodo in existence, who is always trying to fly, and utterly refuses to accept that dodos are flightless birds. He's Lyle's best friend.
- Eugene: An elephant and a [bully who hogs the watering hole, beats up anyone who tries to stand up to him, and enjoys stomping petunias as a hobby.
- Lana: A lioness, and the object of Lyle's affections, despite her frequent rebuffs of this.
The show also adds multiple new characters into the fold.
The cartoon ran from September 7, 1997, to September 12, 1999, and had three seasons.
Animal Crackers contains the following tropes:
- Adaptational Dye Job: If you count the shape of one's hair as this. Lana's hair was straight in the comics. In the cartoon, it's all curly.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Lyle has a huge crush on Lana, who wants nothing to do with him.
- The Bully: Eugene. He hogs the waterhole for long periods of time, and will beat up anyone who stands up to him.
- Canon Foreigner: Multiple characters were added to the cartoon. These include...
- A Dog Named "Dog": Gnu is named after his species.
- Dumb Dodo Bird: Dodo is a subversion, being fairly smart enough. He is, however, too stubborn to realize his species are flightless.
- Furry Female Mane: Lana's mane, which looks more like a human woman's than a lion's.
- Those Two Guys: Frog and Toad.
- The Voiceless: Tito never really said a word throughout the show's run.