Western Animation: Angelina Ballerina
Angelina Ballerina is an Animated Series
produced by HiT Entertainment, based on books by Catherine Hollabird and Helen Craig. First airing in 2002, the series is a Slice of Life
type program. It features the misadventures of a mouse named Angelina Mouseling and her friends.
In 2009, the series was given an All-CGI Cartoon
makeover and subtitled "The Next Steps" as Angelina goes to attend dancing school. Angelina herself received a makeover in this version of the show: She's now light pink in color. In the original series and books, she was white.
Angelina Ballerina provides examples of the following:
- Accessory-Wearing Cartoon Animal: Majority of the cast in the original series.
- All-CGI Cartoon: The 2009 CGI revamp.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Pink mice in The Next Steps (logic being that pink sells better to girls).
- Animated Adaptation: An adaption of books by Catherine Hollabird and Helen Craig
- Anthropomorphic Shift: From the books through to the 2002 series, Angelina and the other mice were firmly in a Mouse World/Civilized Animal setting but as of the 2009 series, where the dance aspect of the show became a more dominant element, they had become Petting Zoo People. This was to enable more diverse styles of dance to be performed by the characters and to be more relatable to the older viewer demographic they were now aiming at.
- Art Evolution: As time moved on, Angelina became less plump, taller, and her fur color changed from white to light pink but this is less evolution, more wholesale In Name Only as far as looks are concerned.
- Art Shift: From traditional animation to CGI and a huge one at that.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome / Put on a Bus: Henry received the short end of the deal when The Next Steps rolled around as he was sent off to be essentially replaced by Angelina's younger sister, Polly.
- Cool Old Lady: Miss Lilly.
- Face Palm: In the episode "Angelina's Oldest Friend", the titular character of the episode and Angelina pulls this.
- Angelina's mother has this in the end of episode, "Angelina's Sleepover".
- The Faceless: Ms. Mimi appears this in "Angelina's New School". Her face is revealed in the next episode.
- Five-Man Band:
- The original series:
- The Next Steps:
- Full-Name Basis: For some reason, on Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps, Angelina's little sister Polly regularly refers to her as "Angelina Ballerina" and not simply Angelina.
- Fully Dressed Cartoon Animal: Angelina and the other kids in the original series when at dance school and performing on stage. Plus Ms. Lilly in the regular cast. Became the norm for the CGI series.
- I Can't Hear You: Played straight in an episode of the 2009 CGI revamp.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Mrs. Hodgepodge in the original series.
- Licensed Game / Edutainment Game / iOS Games: One for the iPhone (although like most iPhone games, it runs on most other iOS devices as well).
- Limited Wardrobe: In The Next Steps, Angelina wears her ballerina outfit at home as well. Averted in the original series as there was no real wardrobe to speak of.
- Merchandise-Driven: Like most animated adaptations, it was originally created to sell the books but since the new series this has been geared mostly towards selling dolls and miniature figures which may explain why both Angelina is pink and why she (and everyone else) bares little to no resemblance to her book counterpart.
- No Antagonist: Most of the episodes focuses on slice-of-life issues.
- No Time to Explain: Played straight in the episode, "Angelina and Alice's Big Night".
- Petting Zoo People: The character design in The Next Steps is this whereas the books and series preceding are anything but.
- Pink Means Feminine: Angelina's pink tutu, and then being pink herself in The Next Steps.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Alice really pulls this off in one episode of The Next Steps.
It's. My. Turn!
- Recap Episode: Dreams Come True, an hour-length The Next Steps movie released on DVD has a definite feel of this, with a lot of flashbacks to past events and past song numbers
- Recursive Adaptation: Some of the books are this.
- Same Language Dub: The Next Steps has two versions - one dubbed for the USA and the other for the UK. The UK dub has a slightly different theme song and different character voices. At least one character name is different too - AJ in the UK, AZ in the US.
- The Silent Bob: Played straight with Ms. Mimi in The Next Steps. And also earlier, the yogurt selling mouse.
- Skirt over Slacks: Alice, Vici, and Ms. Mimi wear this in The Next Steps.
- Slice of Life: Yep, one of those series.
- Something We Forgot: Played straight in the episode, "Angelina's Lost Ice Skates".
- Spring Is Late: With a twist in "Angelina's Spring Fling". The characters know perfectly well that there's nothing they can do to stop it from being cold and snowy outside. So, instead, they decide to try to create a bit of spring inside by doing things such as pretending to play baseball, painting Easter eggs and playing a CD of Vivaldi's "Spring."
- Surprise Party: In "Angelina's Irish Jig," from Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps, after Angelina accidentally messes up Vicki's Irish music, she decides to throw her a surprise Irish party, but things are nearly ruined because Vicki overhears Angelina and the other characters whispering about her and thinks they're being mean.
- Sweet Tooth: In the 2002 series, Alice is usually seen snacking on cookies, candy, or popcorn.
- This Is My Side: In Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps, Angelina and Marco did this with a poster after they were assigned to work together. Marco didn't want frills and a tutu on his poster, while Angelina couldn't abide by the idea of having soccer balls in the poster. It didn't work work out, and they went through a couple of other hangups, before finally hitting on a working idea.
- Thriving Ghost Town: The CGI series has this in both Angelina's school and in the town of Chipping Cheddar. It's quite rare to see any other inhabitants other than the cast strolling about town. As for Angelina's school, Camembert Academy, the building is shown both on the inside and outside to be huge; yet, apart from the occasional extras, we usually don't see anyone except Angelina, Miss Mimi and Angelina's friends.
- Two Girls to a Team: Inverted in both the 2002 and 2009 series. William and Henry (Angelina's younger cousin) are the only two boys in Angelina's predominantly female ballet class. The Next Steps has Marco and AZ (AJ in the UK) as the only regular boys in the cast.
- The Unfavorite: This is what Angelina feels about when Polly debuted in original series episode, "Angelina's Baby Sister".
- The Voiceless: Ms. Mimi becomes this in one episode of The Next Steps when she has laryngitis.