There is an option now on your profile page
to use "compact" folders. This works pretty well for phone users and others who like less scrolling.
Webvideo: Stuff You Like
A Web Original
show where redhead Sursum Ursa
waxes enthusiastic about books, TV shows and anything else that comes to mind
, while the subtitles
look on (and snark)
Expect trope references and a LOT of Sherlock
You'll find all Stuff You Like episodes here
, and some other stuff on YouTube
. The show is also featured on The Agony Booth here
, Geekvision here
, and Chez Apocalypse here
Stuff You Like provides and discusses examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: The Porn Critic for Ursa:
Sursum Ursa: Stop sending me condoms in the post, you creepy pervert!
- Action Girl: Mentioned by name quite a lot: Ariane, the adrenaline junkie pilot/racer from Grand Central Arena, as well as Katara, Toph, Suki, Azula, Mai, Ty Lee... and Jame.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: In-Universe, Jim is a Stalker with a Crush.
- Anachronism Stew: Namechecked in The Scorpion King review:
: But this movie runs on Rule of Cool
, not Rule of Historical Accuracy, so we must forgive it.
- Asteroid Thicket: Namechecked in GCA which has a section that consists of a long string of tropes and accompanying pictures.
- Bad Boss: Ursa herself, judging by the "Staff Training Video" at the start of the Underworld review...
- The Bechdel Test: Mentioned in passing in the Underworld review:
- Big "YES!" / Glasses Pull: "This week: (glasses) it's Sherlock Whump Week." "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
- Black Cloak: For the "Staff Training Video":
: Greetings, minions. *thunder* Welcome to hell. (Evil Laughter
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: In the Roman Holiday review:
- Bonus Material: Her Labyrinth review has a Bonus Webcomic Review about Roommates and Girls Next Door. We can safely say she is also a fan of the Buildingverse.
- Buffy Speak: On the subject of Jim's mood swings:
Sursum Ursa: He has mood swings like a...very...swingy...thing!
- Catch Phrase: Early on in the series, "Meet our protagonist..." More recently, "The plot it goeth thusly"
- Chewing the Scenery: Mentioned in Underworld:
- Deadpan Snarker: The Subtitles, and also Sokka.
- For the Evulz: Jim again.
Sursum Ursa: Jim is just indiscriminately evil...for the lulz.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: A whole section dedicated to it in the A:TLA Book 3 review.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Both River Tam and Jim are described as, "Completely batfrakked!" More generally, the (usually) PG-rating means this is quite common.
- Halloween Episode: "5 Ridiculously Entertaining Things About Underworld."
- The Hero's Journey: The Labyrinth review is titled this and used to talk about it.
- Hollywood Hacking: Averted in Sherlock Series 2, and mentioned in the Reichenbach Fall episode:
- Hollywood Homely: Discussed In-Universe in the Mycroft and Lestrade episode. TV!Lestrade is much better looking than his literary counterpart
- Hollywood Pudgy: Also In-Universe and in Mycroft and Lestrade, Ursa explains how the trope is avoided, and references Special K adverts to give an example of the trope.
Sursum Ursa: You're NOT FAT!
- Ho Yay: Lampshaded by her when Zuko wants Aang to dance with him. And Sherlock's "A Study In Pink" review had a dedicated montage on the subject.
- Left the Background Music On: In the Jim vs. Moriarty episode.
- Musical Episode: For the Les Miserables review.
- "No. Just... No" Reaction: She gives one when The Porn Critic invites her in for a cameo, saying he will "gently ease [her] in" and showing off that he has lots of lube.
- One of Us: She seems to namecheck at least one trope per video, usually more
- Pimped-Out Dress: Referenced by name in the video about Kaylee from Firefly, and the dress she wore in "Shindig".
- Punny Name: Sursum Ursa's real surname is Bearup.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: Azula, Mai and Ty Lee from, what else, Avatar: The Last Airbender .
- Rebellious Princess: Anne from Roman Holiday.
- Record Needle Scratch
- Right-Hand Cat: Barclay.
- Rule 63: As Watson in her crossover with Sofie Liv to review the 2009 Sherlock Holmes movie.
- Sarcasm Mode: Most of the time.
- Scenery Porn: Referenced in Roman Holiday.
- Shout-Out: To NCIS fandom when she describes Molly Hooper as an 'Autopsy Gremlin'. To the Sherlock fandom...all the time.
: "Good luck River
. Now that you are a slightly less broken mind reading Waif-Fu
practitioner I'm sure you'll be doing just fine."
: "I spotted her in the Buildingverse
yesterday. She seemed... fine"
- Squee: She literally squees at the start of the Avengers review.
- Surveillance As The Plot Demands: She has cameras EVERYWHERE. Above Welshy's and Cheapus' beds, in Miss Liv's bedroom, in Cheapus' bathroom and fridge...
Funky Monkey: ...breaking into people's houses, and installing cameras, doesn't sound like a heroic thing to me! More like...paranoid.
- The Cast Showoff: Ursa in the Musical Episode.
- The Firefly Effect: In-Universe discussion in SYL 20: this video.
- TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Vocabulary: She drops Troper Speak with great regularity.
- Unobtanium: Required to get the crew home in Grand Central Arena.
- Unusual Euphemism: By way of Expospeak Gag in the Zoe Washburne episode:
Sursum Ursa: But when the fecal matter hits the rotary air impeller...
- Video Review Show
- "World of Cardboard" Speech: Marc C Dusquene. No, not that one.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Ariane again.