SourceFed is a spinoff
, of sorts, of The Philip De Franco Show
that DeFranco launched in 2012 as part of YouTube
's content initiative. The channel runs regular shows Monday-Thursday, featuing five stories a day, 4 minute max per video. On Fridays they do "Comment Commentary
". Weekends originally featured movie reviews and Movie Club, as well as Hilarious Outtakes
, behind-the-scenes videos, one on ones, game competitions on the weekends.
The channel started with DeFranco, Joe Bereta
, Lee Newton and Elliott Morgan, and DeFranco as the first commentators, and Kevin Brueck hosted "Curb Cash" on Saturdays. A couple weeks in DeFranco left, since the channel was intended to be separate of him, and let the others run the show. "Curb Cash" was eventually pulled due to low popularity, leaving the three commentators as the only members on the show. Steve Zaragoza, Trisha Hershberger, and Meg Turney would fill in when other members were gone for the main show, but as they were not employees of DeFranco, they were not permanent fixtures on the commentaries. All three joined the show in short succession as official members in Fall 2012, and now all six rotate for presenting news and hosting weekend content. They all appear on the commentaries unless they're gone. They also run as a non-acting Production Posse
for DeFranco, joining him for VidCon and the Presidential debates, and he occasionally appears on weekend shows. For a span of time in 2013, Ross Everett joined the ranks of the hosts. In April 2014, Elliott and Meg both departed from SourceFed, and three new hosts joined SourceFed Reina, Will, and Matt. While Ross went back to just writing the stories. Later on it was revealed that Ross also left SourceFed to pursue his own career. On Comment Commentary 150 Joe Bereta revealed that he will be leaving Sourcefed for a new job, his final day is December 31st 2014.
They can be found here.
channel, SourceFed Nerd, was launched in May 2013, with a focus on tech, video games and comic book news. It's also the new home of Table Talk and Movie Club.
Tropes associated with SourceFed:
- AcCENT Upon the Wrong SylLABle: Happens a lot in their blooper videos when they run into a name or word that they're unfamiliar with.
- Adorkable: All of them show adorkable tendencies. Considering that Phillip DeFranco is also called adorkable, it may be a running thing throughout his company.
- "Feelin' Good With Joe Bereta" really emphasizes Joe's Adorkable side.
- "Obvious-Lee News" is often the same thing for Lee.
- Air Hugging: Averted. None of the men are scared to get up close and personal with each other.
- Animated Adaptation: Sourcefed Animated, made by Andrei Terbea. Showcases funny animated versions of Sourcefed and Sourcefed Nerd videos.
- Ascended Extra: Anyone who normally works behind the scenes who shows up on camera on a semi-regular basis. Ross is the most well-known but Sam and DJ are gaining popularity.
- Bad Boss: One Comment Commentary has Joe, Lee, and Elliott pretend DeFranco is one, citing Lee being on massage duty because of her "nimble, aggressive hands" and Joe being forced to dance for him.
- Badass Beard: Steve and Joe (when he lets his grow) has one.
- Badass Moustache: Joe (when he lets his grow, again).
- Berserk Button: Whenever the news is about someone harmful to children, Joe tends to be the most vocal (read angry/furious) about it. Having children himself, when you take into account his Papa Wolf tendencies, it's quite understandable.
- Lets just say Elliott doesn't take having a laser pointed at him well, as seen in "Men Face Prison After Laser Pointer Prank" starting at 1:59.
- Trisha will not tolerate anyone messing with someones laptop
Trisha: You don't mess with someones laptop, that's punishable by death!.
- Bilingual Bonus: Joe calls himself "Menso" on an episode about Mensa. "Menso" means "stupid" in Spanish.
- Bi the Way: Meg, who casually revealed that she liked girls when she asked her heterosexual panelmates if it would be weird for them to have sex with clones of themselves.
- Blatant Lies: Meg claiming that her first Democratic National Convention video was about "freedom," as opposed to her playing on a water slide.
- Blondes Are Evil: Played with. Lee sometimes is put into this corner, especially during one of the comment commentaries where they discuss how touchy she is.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Lee, Trisha, and Meg, respectively. Subverted, in that both Lee and Meg have stated that they dye their hair.
- Brainless Beauty: Clearly averted for Lee, but she doesn't mind to poke fun at herself about this sometimes (2:55):
Co-Worker: If you're falling down, put that dinosaur over your face, Lee!
: Watch out, protect that face, it's all you got!... Thanks, Mom
in the office. Tony got the giggles and fell onto the ground.
- Also averted for Meg and Trisha
- The Bus Came Back: In the Christmas Extravaganza Benjamin Franklin Time Traveler made his big return
- Butt Monkey: Steve is playfully picked on because he had such a sheltered childhood.
- Matt and Will seem to be challenging Steve for his position.
- Matt left his twitter account signed in, so Joe and Will had all of his followers do their best to say mean things about him.
Matt (Reading a tweet): I'd rather have Elliott on his bad day than you.
- The Cameo: Anytime there is a guest YouTube star on a TableTalk or SourcefedPlays.
- When ever Elliott appears in a Sourcefed Animated as an extra.
- Cluster F-Bomb: On-camera, Trisha is by far the worst offender, generally during gaming episodes. Off-camera, it's been stated on occasion that Reina is actually worse.
- Catch Phrase: Trisha and Steve have these
Trisha: No, no! (waving finger)
- Will brought several that spread to other cast members; Joe in particular is fond of "You right", and "motherhugger" was so popular it got a t-shirt.
- Matt hates wasp.
- References, usually by Steve or Matt, to a particular Minecraft tip by a viewer named Peter Marquez; this came from one of the single weirdest Comm Comms ever.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Lee, in this video, serves as a parody.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Lee, Joe and Steve tend to do this most often.
- Corrupt the Cutie: Pretty much the entire dynamic between Steve and Will.
- Deadpan Snarker: Elliott tends to stay in this mode the most, with Lee being this when not Cloudcuckoolander.
- Distracted by the Luxury: Lee and a P.S. Vita. Phil declares she sucks at it, and takes it away from her at the end of the episode.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Lee is developing quite a fan base.
- Lee bragged about touching Jessica Nigri when she appeared on the PDS.
- Meg will usually join in with the guys when they say a female person is sexy.note
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: So, so true. Lee is a huge fan of dinosaurs, and she even owns a dinosaur plush at the office (2:36 and more)! Aaaaaaaaawwwwwwww.
- Freak Out: Elliot has a minor one in the "Porn Star Cannibal" video (all staged, of course). After having to cover so many crazy stories, he completly loses it.
- Completely loses it again when a Laser pointer is pointed on him.
- From Bad to Worse: Invoked during the story about killer spiders in a city of India...
Joe:I'm sorry, I'm just reporting the news, but it gets worse.
Lee:NO DEAR GOD NO!
- Goth: Lee and Elliott dress as them in honor of World Goth Day.
- Gamer Chick: Meg and Trisha.
- Happily Married: Parodied. Lee married herself, with Phil acting as the mayor representing the state of the Internet in "The Self Marriage Trend" video.
- Played straight with Joe, Steve, and Elliot.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Will and Steve seem to be this since they share a fair about of time with each other outside of the office, Will even says that Steve is the reason he came out of his shell.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Played With. In the Christmas Special Meg cuts her own hand with a pair of scissors to the point where she loses control of herself in a panic, and drops a Christmas Tree on herself.
- Hufflepuff House: In this video, the different members took a test on Pottermore in order to determine in which house they would belong. Joe got Griffyndor, Elliot got Ravenclaw and Lee got... Hufflepuff. She does not take it well, because of the implications of the trope.
- Is This What Anger Feels Like?: Lee's rant in the second comment commentary about how women can't argue.
- Jerkass: Troll Joe, picks on Lee during an entire video. He also attacked other sensitive topics:
Joe: You're dumb, Sourcefed is dumb, Sourcefed Nerd is dumb, puppies are dumb... Oh, and so are charities. Charities are dumb!
- Kill It with Fire: Lee's reaction to the killer spiders story.
- Killed Off for Real: Played with (Thank god). In the Christmas Special Steve ends up dying from having his heart grow 3 sizes from the special itself being too good.
- Kubrick Stare: Lee, during Burping, Cheating, and Prometheus VS Madagascar... It's Comment Commentary 21!, at 2:40). That girl is dangerous...
- Large Ham: Joe when he acts as Teddy Roosevelt.
Joe: BIG MAGIC STICK
- Mall Santa: Santa Steve and hes probably one of the worst ever. Between mistaking Meg for a boy, constantly interrupting Trisha when she tries to tell him what she wants for Christmas, coming onto Lee, borderline molesting Sam, ditching Ross because hes Jewish, and having idle conversation with Joe.
- Hes back again for the year of 2014, and hes as bad as ever.
- Mr. Fanservice: Joe. He loses his shirt sometimes, and even his pants during a blooper video (4:44).
- In the Ice Bucket Challenge Will takes his shirt off, Damn
- Musical Episode: Kind of. Behold! Featuring Laci Green.
- Named by Democracy: Every year, Maxim Magazine makes a list of the top 100 hottest women. In 2012 they let the readers vote and you could do a write in, and add someone who wasn't on the list. Joe and Elliott told viewers to vote for Lee. They did. So much that they crashed the site! Maxim then did an article that included Lee and mentioned that she had "list potential." In the end, Lee landed in 57th place.
- New Meat: In "VidCon Q&A With SourceFed!" they are asked who they would eat first if they were stranded on an island. Joe mentions that Ross is the new guy and that they aren't as emotionally attached to him.
Joe: Oh, Ross is dead? Sucks.
- Not That There's Anything Wrong with That: Lee's final statement about being sorted into Hufflepuff House. Elliot's reaction?
Elliot: Yeah, tell yourself that.
- Papa Wolf: Joe. Everytime a story is about a child put in danger, this pushes his Berserk Button and he makes it pretty clear that anyone who is harmful to children should deserve the worst punishment ever. Given the fact he's a proud father himself, it's quite understandable.
- Since Will began working at the office Steve has always tried to keep him on track in Comment Commentary videos, even though Steve is the one going of the rails when Will isn't around.
- Primal Fear: Spiders story. 'nuff said.
- The Rival: Will has been trying to phase Joe out ever since he became a host, especially when it comes to dance moves.
- Running Gag:
- Lee and dinosaurs.
- The introduction of guests, filling in for x because of y
- [Plasma Bomb/Hit/Eat/Smash/etc] the like button.
- Benjamin Franklin Time Traveler, much to Elliott's and Phil's chagrin
- Meg and #[insert random group of people]Shaming
- Sexy Montages
- Getting Norged in the bloopers
- Steve punching Elliott
- Joe walking into the frame on a TableTalk just to drink Steve's water and leave
- Thaddeus J. Spider
- Strens'ms. Played with, as there is neither rhyme nor reason to their products.
- Self-Deprecation: All of the hosts crack jokes about themselves. However, Will usually the one doing this.
- Shirtless Scene: Joe, in the "Woman goes TOPLESS in NYC" video.
- Shipper on Deck: Some might say Trisha ships Will and Reina, actively putting the former on the spot in "Ultimate Nerd Comm Comm"
Trisha:I feel like you turn the smooth on every time Reina comes into the room
- Weina has gotten engaged (Not to Will), thus debunking #Weina
- Ship Tease: Played with. In dozens of videos the host fuel the rumors of relationships in the office such as Steve kissing Joe or in the case of Lee, almost kissing. However #Weina is currently the biggest of these thanks to Trisha.
- In Comment Commentary 137 it was revealed that Reina is engaged to her boy friend (Not Will) there for ending #Weina
- Sixth Ranger: Ross Everett, one of the writers, started making regular on-camera appearances in July 2013.
- Reina, Will, and Matt who became new hosts shortly after Elliott, Ross, and Meg left.
- To Skyrim, for obvious reasons:
: Ok, so this trailer (1:45
) is gonna results in way too many "arrow to the knee" comments.
Lee: Arrow to the knee!
- Strange Girl: combined with Noodle Incident for Reina, who, according to Trisha, is just a deeply odd person who doesn't show it so much on camera.
- Tagalong Kid: The other hosts sometimes treat Will like this because of how young he is. Joe even called him a baby when he realized Will was still in college.
- Team Mom: Trisha is often called the "Mom of SourceFed" by the other hosts.
- That Came Out Wrong: In "Sexy Interns, Adorable Dogs, & Elliott's 3-Year-Old Friend... It's Comment Commentary 68!" Elliott mentions a 3-year-old friend that he has, Steve Lee and Joe all let him know how wrong that sounds.
- Top Ten List: The "Top 10 Worst Remakes" video and again with the "Top Ten Best Space Movies" video
- Wham Line: On Comment Commentary 150. Joe revealed that he was leaving SourceFed. After a clever segue from talking about Stephan Colbert's last show.
- World of Pun: in "Bees, Time Travel, and 25 Years To Live on #Table Talk!" Steve, Ross, and Trisha go on an unbeelivable bee pun rant.
Trisha: we're beehive on our shoots today.
- You Have to Have Jews: "The Offices of Lieberman and Rosenberg". Also, the out-of-office video for Christmas 2013 opened with about two minutes of Ross nonchalantly eating Chinese takeout.