Web Video: Ace Attorney Abridged
Not even the Ace Attorney
games have immunity
from being made into Abridged Series
Get it? "Attorney"? "Immunity"?
Okay, anyway. This franchise managed to get two separate abridged series, amusingly within weeks of each other. The first, by Cardboard Lawyer
, is a reasonably straightforward abridgement of the first three Ace Attorney
instalments, managing to turn the games into a Black Comedy
. The second, by Volty
and discussed further below, rarely even tries to follow the plot of the games, preferring instead to place the characters in original stories.
Let's talk about Abridged Attorney
first. Phoenix Wright is a fresh, wet-behind-the-ears defense attorney working for Mia Fey, who has no faith in him and continually beats him up. Things only get worse for him from there.
This show provides examples of:
- Awesome McCoolname: When Phoenix gets amnesia, he believes his name is Pimpin' McKickass.
- Badass Baritone: Godot. He stripped Franziska and Edgeworth of their roles, and is pretty much calm and collected.
- Black Comedy Rape: Subverted. You'd think with Phoenix screaming off screen, he's being violated, but he's just not taking it well that his Tetris high score was beaten. Played straight with Gant, however.
- Comedic Sociopath: Everyone has their moments, but Maya seems to be stuck on this.
- Courtroom Antic: Making even less sense than in the games.
- Don't Explain the Joke: "It's not as funny when I have to explain your own joke to you."
- Downer Ending: Phoenix gets disbarred, Gumshoe gets fired, and Edgeworth gets killed by Aquaman of all people. All Played for Laughs, of course.
- Idiot Hero: Phoenix himself.
- Kangaroo Court: Even more crazy than the original games!
- Large Ham: This series has good amount of hammy moments. The most notable are Luke Atmey and Manfred Von Karma.
Atmey: You shall face true fear in court! FEAR! IN THE FORM OF MAN! EPIC BADASS! Sharp dresser, cool mask, and a really F*CKING COOL MASK!
Von Karma: No, I don't have any evidence. All I have is... SUPER EVIDENCE!
- Mouthy Kid: Pearl.
- Running Gag: Gumshoe's pay continually being cut.
- The random television shows mentioned throughout the series, always in the form of "X vs Y", such as "Man vs. Tiger", "Hamster vs. Gun", "Puppy vs. Paper-Shredder", etc.
- Shout-Out: You can tell the guy's a Zelda fan, as the series finale uses numerous songs from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask and even references that "[Maya] has only three days to beat [a] dungeon before the moon falls on us!"
- Synthetic Voice Actor: The Judge, but with a Spanish program, even though everyone else speaks English. (except for Edgeworth's Dutch-speaking replacement Robo-Judge)
Franziska: What in the hell kind of foolish language is it speaking?
Franziska: You bastard! Only you would make a Judge-Bot that speaks a dead language.
Miles: I'm pretty sure Dutch isn't a dead language.
Franziska: Of course it is, you fool.
Miles: You may be more ignorant than Wright.
Franziska: Hah! Fool! Don't even compare me with Wright. My ignorance knows no limits!
Miles: This is going to be a long trial...
- Thematic Theme Tune: "I Fought the Law" by Bobby Fuller for the first game's cases.
- Tsundere: Maya never misses an opportunity to beat up or have Phoenix beaten up by someone else.
- Voice of the Legion: Dahlia and Morgan
- Logical Fallacies: Played for Laughs.
PHOENIX WRIGHT: ACE IDIOT
Just a few weeks after Abridged Attorney
(now known as Volty), who went on to be one of the minds behind Apollo Justice Abridged
, put out his own parody of Ace Attorney
. This one mostly ignores the plot of the original games, instead coming up with original stories that manage to make even less sense. If Phoenix Wright: Abridged Attorney
is the franchise's Code Geass: The Abridged Series
, then Ace Idiot
is its Code MENT
This series provides examples of: