"Game Maker (1999-present): Started out as Animo, a 2D animation program. It is now technically complex enough to be considered a full-fledged 2D Game Engine, not a Game Maker. Ironic."
Yoyogames are the company behind the Game Maker software originally created by Mark Overmars, making a variety of Game Engine
products, the newest being Game Maker Studio. Game Maker has produced indie titles such as Iji
and An Untitled Story
The Sandbox site suffers Sturgeon's Law
due to the fact that anybody
can upload games they've made using the free edition of the software, previously giving the software a bad reputation. The creators of Yoyogames consider The Sandbox an Old Shame
which no longer works.
The newest software can export to Android.The other wiki
has an article on Game MakerhereMain Website here.The forums are here.Yoyolabs (Open Source Sharing) here.Needs wiki magic love
Here is a list of games created with Game Maker which have pages on TV Tropes
Yoyogames and Game Maker feature examples of....
- Abandonware: All previous versions of Game Maker. Justified by Yoyogames since Pirates kept causing them no ends of problems with those versions.
- Beta Test: The software allows you to update to the latest possible version, although there may be faults.
- Bitmaps Sprites and Textures: The inbuilt image editor and background / texture editor.
- Copy Protection: There was a fault with the DRM software in Game Maker Studio that actually affected legitimate copies of Game Maker and turned all the sprites into Skull and Crossbones. Has since been fixed.
- Event Flag: Built into the software in the form of Alarms and Collisions.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Subverted. Game Maker being a Game Maker is the main example. When you open the program, the first interface you see for Coding is Drag-And-Drop. Anyone who doesn't read the helpfile or readme will not be aware there is a full Programming Language in there.
- Freeware Games: The Sandbox website. Most of the games on TV Tropes made by Game Maker are this.
- Game Engine: Game Maker is one.
- Gaming Audio: Midis have been removed. But MP3s, OGGs and WAVs are fair game.
- Indie Game: The Game Maker is the source of many.
- Konami Code: Entering this on the main website at one point caused pink unicorns to appear. Sadly, this has gone.
- Loading Screen: Has this at the start of running, both Games and Game Maker.
- Lost Forever: The site once hosted two seperate forums, the Game Maker Community and the Yoyogames Forums. Averted in the fact someone created an archive here.
- The Sandbox is planned to be deleted, although most of the Tutorial Edits on there will not be missed. There are some hidden gems there that will be Lost Forever. Not even internet archive will be able to bring them back...
- Level Editor: The Room Editor part of the software acts as this.
- Middleware: YoyoLabs is planned to be this. The original examples were this. DLLs can be used as this.
- Physics Engine: Has one built in. There are various DLLs and such that can provide a much improved one, however.
- Polygonal Graphics: How a lot of the 3D games work and look.
- Programming Language: Although not obvious at first, has one. Game Maker Language or GML.
- Random Number Generator: random()
- Software Porting: To Android, Mac, and various others. Game Maker was once Windows only.
- Sturgeon's Law: The Sandbox.
- Video Game 3D Leap: 3D became possible in Game Maker at Game Maker 6. (Due to DLL support.) Support has grown since, but Game Maker is definitely more suitable for 2D Games.
The Game Maker Community features examples of...
- April Fools' Day: The CEO decided to say they were being purchased by Valve on April 1st 2013. This his did not receive good reception.
- Awesome Mc Cool Name: Nehemek, Mark Overmars.
- In Joke: There are many of these, emoticons have been created specifically as a homage to some of them by the staff. (Ducks, Squirrels, A certain Irish employee...
- Beware of the Nice Ones: Chance is considered by some to be the most neutral moderator on the site, get on his wrong side however... Applies to Forum Moderators in general.
- Digital Avatar: Built in the Forum Software.
- Fan Remake: Various users have tried re-making Game Maker in Game Maker. Not only is this redundant since they are already using Game Maker. But Impossible since nobody has succeeded.
- Online Personas: Crammed with them.
- Left Fielder: Even happens in Q&A forums. Although usually one person asking for help with a number of issues and doesn't state them all at once.
- Play By Post: The Forum Games section.
- Pun: The Community loves its Puns. As do Yoyogames themselves. Their Anti-piracy measures were actually meant to be a Pun on the Movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley".
- Resident Freak: Go to the Off-topic forum. You'll probably find 8 of them.
- Shameless Self-Promoter: Expect to see this a lot when someone has just finished a new game.
- Spammer: The moderators try to clean up the "Hi, I am new here!" or "This is nice, try my Website!" posts, made by various spambots. Older spam frequently included advertisements for ugg boots
- The Shepherd: A lot of the moderators there are this.