Started at Stanford University, Yahoo! is one of the Internet's largest and most popular portal sites. Originally a searchable directory of Web sites, Yahoo! has expanded to offer world news, free Web-based email, discussion groups, online games, and other services. It once owned (and still owns in Japan) GeoCities, a provider of free Web sites. The official website can be visited here.
This site provides examples of:
- Easter Egg: Before the logo change, a voice said "YAHOO!" when you clicked the exclamation mark in the logo.
- Fun with Acronyms: The name originally stood for Yet Another Highly Organized Oracle.
- Hypothetical Fight Debate: This is a staple question in Yahoo Answers "Comics & Animation" section.
- Loophole Abuse: On Yahoo! Answers, you stand a good chance of gaining points quickly by voting for your own answer as the best. You get 2 points for the answer, 1 point for the vote, and 10 points when your answer is selected the best, making a total of 13 points for doing almost nothing. Of course, that doesn't work if the asker selects a best answer, or if some other answer gets more votes.
- Obvious Beta: Yahoo! Mail (the version codenamed "Minty"), with several users still experiencing hiccups compared to smoother functionality with Yahoo! Mail Classic, which is now virtually inaccessible save for an obscure method which can forcibly revert the user's email to Classic.
- Smug Straight Edge: Chances are, if there's a question related to drugs, ther is always going to be someone who doesn't do drugs and acts as if they were better than everyone who does.
- We All Live in America: Yahoo! Answers. Not only the users, but often the forum itself indulges in quite a bit of it.
- A Winner Is You: Given the sheer amount of time, energy and application it takes to move up the higher levels in Yahoo Answers, (geting from Level Five to Level Six involves accumulating 5,000 points) getting there is a distinct anticlimax leaving you with the feeling of "why even bother?" They could do a little more to reward you...