Wikia is a wiki hosting service founded in late 2004 by Jimmy Wales and Angela Beesley. It is notable for hosting many fanwikis, such as WoWWiki and Wookieepedia. However, many wikis have left the site due to discontent over policies such as advertising and the new "Oasis" skin, implemented against the majority of the community's will.
This website provides examples of:
- Content Warnings: Especially the spoiler warnings.
- Don't Make Me Destroy You: Admins.
- Everyone Is Gay: Depending on the Wikia's topic... for example, in the Winx Wiki a majority of the population are girls.
- Hot Linked: Particularly with deleted images.
- Insistent Terminology: Wikis hosted on Wikia are not wikis, they are wikias.
- They were originally "wikicities" — the name of Wikia when it was started. References to this can sometimes still be found◊.
- Longer-Than-Life Sentence: An "infinite" ban actually bans the user for 1000 years, literally.
- Our Super-Strict Language Policy
- Post Count: The editcount.
- Reading Your Rights: Admins and Bureaucrats.
- Rule of Cautious Editing Judgement
- Someday This Will Come in Handy: Has been known to cause attempts to invoke this trope.
- Walkthrough Mode: Especially in gaming wikis. In some cases, the walkthrough is so unbelievably detailed that you really feel dumb for following it.
- Wikia Will Ruin Your Life: Just take a look at this nice guy.