The Duffel Blog
, frequently described as a military version of The Onion
, takes a similar satirical approach to reporting on everyday life in the weird and wonderful world of the US Military
. It was founded in March of 2012 and has also expanded into "radio"
and video, in the form of humorous clips of soldiers in their natural habitat taken from the internet.
Much like its civilian counterpart, people have mistaken The Duffel Blog for a legitimate news source
, generating much hilarity in the comments section of each article. Unfortunately, this occasionally
extends to legitimate news media organizations as well.The Duffel Blog
also has a satirical advice column staffed by such characters as Top, the Non-Friendly Neighborhood First Sergeant
; the Barracks Lawyer
; and the Public Affairs Officer.
Tropes Identified and Parodied, Silence From Pentagon:
- Armed Farces: Of course!
- Bears Are Bad News: "Grizzly Bear Wanders Into Unlocked Recruiting Office, Joins Navy"
- Continuity Nod: Many articles reference and build upon previous articles. Sometimes the only connection is the topic, with the writers of the later piece seemingly unaware of the previous one.
- Crippling Overspecialization: "Sailor Runs World Record 1.5 Mile, Fails Pushup Portion of Fitness Test"
- Deadly Training Area: "Pentagon Announces Pre-Deployment Training To Take Place In Detroit And Chicago"
- Enhanced Interrogation Techniques: "US Denies Prisoner Torture, Allegations Of Forced Listening To Justin Bieber, Rebecca Black"
- Fun with Acronyms: "DoD Unveils New Troop Leading Steps For Military, ‘RIMJOBS’ To Streamline Mission Planning"
- Irony: "Bitter Irony For Coast Guard, Seaman Apprentice Arrested For Piracy"
- Memetic Badass: General James Mattis of the Marine Corps is shaping up to be one In-Universe.
- Mood Whiplash: On occasion, an article will start out farcical before taking a hard right turn into more serious emotional fare, most commonly in the Opinion pieces.
- Never My Fault: "Corps’ Lone Thief Apprehended; Marines Rejoice, Burn Missing Gear Statements"
- Poe's Law: The reason so many of the articles can be mistakenly accepted at face value is because the military lifestyle in Real Life can occasionally be patently absurd.
- Reality Is Unrealistic: When seemingly absurd military news breaks in Real Life, the Duffel Blog's twitter feed will post a link with the comment "Should have been Duffel Blog".
- Ridiculously Human Robots: "Air Force MQ-9 Reaper Diagnosed With PTSD, Refuses To Fly"
- Shout-Out: "USSOUTHCOM Reports Unexplained Murders in South American Jungle"
- Space Marine: "Space Marine: Oh, You Think My Job Is Cool? Try Police Calling In Zero Gravity
- Stupid Statement Dance Mix: "Taliban 'I'm Sexy and I Know It' YouTube Video Reaches 2 Million Views"
- Throwing Out The Script: "General’s Controversial Graduation Speech Sparks Riots, 11 Killed"
- Tokyo Rose: "Vietnam Veterans Outraged Over Navy Christening Of USS Jane Fonda"
- Unfortunate Implications: "African-American Skipper Makes History, Takes Command of USS Nathan Bedford Forrest"
- You Go Girl: "Women’s Rights Activist Demands ‘Camouflage Ceiling’ Brought Down, More Females Killed In Combat"