Website: That Guy with the Glasses
"Warning: the contents of the following video may be awesome."
Logo circa 2014 note Channel Awesome
, formerly known as That Guy With the Glasses
, is the
pop culture reviewing site network, featuring over 50 critics, sketch comedians, and riffers since June 4, 2008. Occasionally and early on they did Anniversary Specials with the big names. It is divided into Blistered Thumbs, Inked Reality, Team TGWTG, and formely Barfiesta.
From November 2010 to January 2014, they operated a spinoff site Blistered Thumbs
, which featured gaming-centric videos and articles; after that sites closure, its contributors were moved to the main site. There were plans at one point to spin off Channel Awesome's comics and anime reviewers into a new site called Inked Reality
as well, but those plans never went through. In addition a third video reviewing site named Barfiesta
, which focused on Chicago
nightlife and was run by Rob Walker and restaurant critic Laura Lopez, was operational for a few months in late 2009 before shutting down.
On December 2, 2014, Rob Walker announced on his Facebook page that thatguywiththeglasses.com
is no longer the website for Doug and the rest of Channel Awesome's content creator. Now, they have a new website using the company's name: channelawesome.com
Please restrict examples from the following shows to their respective pages, unless they're from non-anniversary special crossover videos.
Sub and Related Pages
Channel Awesome provides examples of:
open/close all folders
- Culture Clash: According to one of Spoony's vlogs, this happens to Benzaie when he's introduced to the concept of sales tax.note
- A Day in the Limelight: Many members of the site's "B-team" came together to review Dragonball Evolution while they were attending a convention. For some, it was their first appearance in a video in months. It was also a movie that many people had wanted the Nostalgia Critic himself to review, so it got a lot of attention when it came out.
- Death Glare: Linkara withers under the Critic's glare when he's caught pretending to be the Critic in their Superman IV review.
- Death Is Cheap: In the case of Phelous and the Nostalgia Critic. Both lampshade it too.
- Death World: Krypton, both canonically and according to Zod. Zod mentions frequent meteor showers and acid rain that melts the heads of any children foolish enough to play in it, and uranium slurry as a food instead of snowcones.
- Department of Redundancy Department: In the Bad Movie Cinema Snob of McBain.
Cinema Snob: And you know else they're evil? One's called Hans. Ahh, God bless foreign xenophobia.
- Depraved Bisexual:
- Spoony in his Spooning With Spoony videos. He's had post-coital conversations (some rohypnol-induced) with the Nostalgia Chick, That Chick With the Goggles, Benzaie, the Nostalgia Critic, Angry Joe, and Bennett the Sage.
- Ask That Guy counts and it is nobody's surprise.
- Master Bate and Dr. Tease as well.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: Nash and Nella broke into the TARDIS. The Doctor was... not pleased.
- Don't Explain the Joke: Epic Fail.
- Dramatic Ellipsis: Notable to the point of overuse in Masterpiece Fanfic Theatre review of "Until the End of Time" and the Linkara/Spoony crossover review of Warrior #1.
- Driven to Suicide:
- The Linkara/MarzGurl Cool World review opens with Linkara preventing MarzGurl from suffocating herself with a pillow, the result of an ill-advised attempt to watch the movie alone. MarzGurl has a second attempt foiled by Linkara, and she returns the favour later.
- The Nostalgia Critic also attempts to kill himself (despite precautions taken to prevent him from doing so) so that he doesn't have to watch Joel Schumacher's Batman & Robin. He is stopped by a guy in an increasingly bloodstained lab coat.
- Dude, Not Funny!:
- Invoked at the 2013 Donation Drive, Rob tells Doug off for his "Minnie Mouse hanged and gored like Drew Barrymore from Scream" 'joke', reminding him that they're doing a children's charity.
- Smarty groaned in pain when Doug told Suede that he should hold his baby "Michael Jackson-style".
- Dysfunction Junction: Some of these people need a really good therapist.
- Enforced Method Acting: Chester A. Bum's live appearance during Transmission Awesome has Walker trying very hard (in character) to annoy his friends. He succeeds.
- Epic Hail: The Nostalgia signal.
- Erotic Eating: LordKat of Until We Win eating a strawberry in the Dragonball Evolution joint review.
- Et Tu, Brute?: In the Brawl: "Et tu, Lee from Still Gaming?" Echoed later in Kickassia.
- Even Evil Has Standards:
- Linksano may very well be evil, psychotic and out to kill Linkara, but as shown in Linkara's joint review with Film Brain on the movie The Spirit, he will not condone the murder of kittens.
- While he's made jokes about pedophilia, vaginal bleeding, and that whole thing with the strawberries in the past, LordKat was appalled at the "Can we rape them?" line from Hudson Hawk.
- Even Ask That Guy was horrified by Bennett the Sage.
- Everyone Is Bi: Most likely aided on by the ficdom, if it makes for laughs or fanservice then anyone can express an interest in their own gender.
- Facepalm: Everyone has their moments at the second when they realize that some of the stuff they are reviewing contains some elements that are either Critical Research Failures from the writers, filmmakers or directors, or just because whatever these people have to say regarding their works that are just wrong or ridiculous.
- Fat and Skinny: Sean Fausz and Paw, respectively, who do a fair amount of crossovers.
- Female Gaze: The women give out as much fanservice as you'd expect them to, but it's mostly the men indulging in it. Especially Doug. In fact, it seems that when Channel Awesome tried to increase its female audience, they discovered that "cute nerdy guys who review interesting things, offer fanservice and suffer appealingly" is the answer.
- Ficdom: Has a name - the Secret Treehouse - and its tropes could fill a page of their own.
- Follow the Leader:
- After That Guy's Bum Reviews' success, the other reviewers started to use their own Bum characters.
- After The Nostalgia Critic started having unique cartoon title cards for his videos, more and more contributors to the site started to get their own cartoon title cards as well, including Linkara, The Nostalgia Chick, MarzGurl, Phelous, The Cinema Snob, MikeJ, JesuOtaku, and Todd in the Shadows, to mention some.
- In their commentary for the joint Critic/Chick review of Ferngully The Last Rainforest, Doug and Lindsay note that it was probably the first time two of TGWTG's reviewers had appeared together in the same frame. Ever since that review, multi-reviewer crossovers have become commonplace.
- There are also a number of people not from the site who have started doing their own satirical reviews.
- Foreshadowing: In his Battlefield Earth review, the Nostalgia Critic implies that there are two Sci-Fi films that are as bad or even significantly worse than Battlefield Earth. Doug has since revealed that one of the films in question is Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, but is keeping his lips sealed as to what the second film is.
- Freud Was Right: In the Coffee With Bargo segment this is implied about Alice in Wonderland.
- Fridge Logic:
- Frivolous Lawsuit: The site was threatened with one for its review of The Room. The Critic made an awesome sketch out of it.
- Funny Background Event:
- The review of Interstella 5555 always has one of the four reviewers dancing in the background.
- In the video where everyone sings Rebecca Black's "Friday", you can see a guy stab himself in the background.
- Furry Fandom: There are several in-universe critiques.
- Bennett the Sage has harsh words to say after reading a TMNT/Gargoyles crossover slash lemon. The fact that his next target is Oscar may have contributed.
- Gag Sub: From the Star Wars Holiday Special review Doug Walker did:
Wookiee mother:Junior, come over here and eat your yak testicles!
Young Wookiee:They taste like diarrhea. I wish I was adopted!
Elder Wookiee/Wookiee mother:You were adopted! You're just a Sand-Person we glued hair onto! Now eat your dinner, you abomination!
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot
- Spoony and Sage, watching the Nostalgia Chick and That Chick With The Goggles fighting during the Brawl.
- Mike J in his review of Dumb and Dumberer, while he watches a pointless dream sequence that doesn't go anywhere. While he watches a pointless dream sequence that doesn't go anywhere. While he...
- Also, "Linking Up With Linkara"
- Guy-on-Guy Is Hot: Came on a bit later than Girl-on-Girl Is Hot, but became the default when Michaud and company figured out that was how to get more women watching. Including the wives/girlfriends, who love watching Doug/Lewis/anyone else have Homoerotic Subtext with other men.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: The Nerd and The Critic argue over a game of Geek Fight in the middle of a battle.
- A God Am I:
- God Is Evil: He stripped away all of Film Brain's clothes and smote the Critic, so he seems to be shaping up to this in this universe.
- Golden Raspberry Award: Several Worst Picture winners have been reviewed on the site: Nostalgia Critic reviewed Howard the Duck, Battlefield Earth and Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, the Chick reviewed Showgirls, Wild Wild West (which was also reviewed by That Sci-Fi Guy and The Blockbuster Buster) and Freddy Got Fingered, JesuOtaku, Todd in the Shadows, RolloT, and Y: Ruler of Time reviewed The Last Airbender and Film Brain reviewed Hudson Hawk. (Film Brain also reviewed All About Steve, for which Sandra Bullock won Worst Actress.)
- Gratuitous Italian: During the Superman IV review, the Critic and Linkara start spouting off various Italian words like the underwearing-a man is doing.
- Green Aesop: The Critic has picked on a few series with this trope as their theme and ripped on them for it. However, as he made clear with his praise for the use of this trope in Sonic The Hedgehog SatAm, he appreciates a well-written Green Aesop that's subtle and not one that bashes you over the head for it. And as the Chick noted in the Ferngully The Last Rainforest review, some of these shows don't actually give a helpful message at all.
- Heroic BSOD: Several in Sean Fausz's case, but the result is always the same - Sean sitting in the bath, crying uncontrollably to the tune of Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On.
- Hey, It's That Guy!/Hey, It's That Voice!:
: No matter what game I play or anime I watch, Wendee Lee
be there, taking the job away from another starving voice actor.
- Hotter and Sexier: In a fucked up, crossing so many lines way, Spooning With Spoony 2 compared to the first one. While the first had Benzaie naked in a bowtie, it was mostly Spoony holding a twisted interview. The second had both Spoony and Critic showing skin and Spoony talking mostly about how he fucked Critic and Joe out of their minds.
- Hype Backlash: In-universe, Lee from Still Gaming is about to put Neon Genesis Evangelion on his and Dena's top anime theme songs, but he changes his mind when he realises the lyrics are about Shinji...