The "It Gets Better" Project
was created by openly-gay relationship advice columnist Dan Savage
in response to a string of tragic suicides
by bullied LGBT teenagers, to reassure them that in fact, It Gets Better
. Anyone can add a video, and hundreds
of average users, celebrities, politicians, web personalities, and organizations (including some offbeat videos from Facebook
, and Pixar
) have jumped on the bandwagon.
The official website can be found here.
Bring a hankie!
- Affectionate Parody: Courtesy of The Daily Show, entitled "It Gets Worse." Before you panic, it's actually telling homophobes (specifically Sen. John McCain, R-AZ) it gets worse.
But it gets worse. Sooner or later, gays will end up serving. And then twenty years later they'll make a documentary about it. You know how every documentary about a big social change has a bad guy? The guy who fought it tooth and nail until it was obvious to everyone else what needed to be done - you know, the George Wallace role
. . . It gets worse . . . It gets worser. You have no idea
how much worse it gets.
- Another one titled "It Gets Worse", although this one is talking about customer services and doesn't mention any form of homosexuality or homophobia whatsoever.
- There was another affectionate parody done for the A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones fandom regarding the infamous event known as the Red Wedding. Veteran fans appear in the video trying to reassure newer fans that things will get better, only to be crushed by depression and disillusionment and wind up concluding that things will just keep getting worse and worse forever.
- Catch Phrase: It Gets Better!
- Driven to Suicide: The project was created in response to this.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: In a nutshell: "It doesn't get better. You get stronger. If you kill yourselves, they win. Don't let them win.".
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Max Adler, who plays homophobic but closeted Jerk Jock Dave Karofsky on Glee, supports gay rights in real life and made his own video for the project.