GoAnimate! is a website that allows people to make their own animated videos
, using a Flash Animation
app. It has been used even by some noted Animation personalities such as Paul Dini
, who used it to produce his web series "Super Rica and Rashy". Signing up is free, though you must upgrade to a paid account if you want to have access to their full resources. You must be at least 13 years old to join.
There are two ways to make the videos. One is the "Quick Video Maker" which offers several ready-made "animated shorts" (some of which are based on licensed properties) with the settings and actions already selected, and a small cast of characters to choose from (different for each); all you have to do is write the dialogue.
There's also the "Full Featured Video Maker" that allows you to start from scratch and select almost everything by yourself- settings, actions, sounds, FX, etc. (though again, you have a limited cast to use.)
You can also make more characters and post your videos on YouTube
, but that requires a paid account. Note that the any videos you publish will have a watermark indicating they were made by Go Animate
(though you can pay to have it removed.)
GoAnimate also has a forum with an active creative community that gives advice and offers examples and contests. However, you must have a paid account to use it.
You can find it here: 
- Abusive Parents: Seen in spades.
- Animesque: The Chibi Peepz, Chibi Ninjas, Ninja Anime, and anime themes are all anime style. Lil Peepz also features animesque hairstyles and Cartoon Classics has a few anime expressions like sweat drops and anger veins.
- Bowdlerise: There's a version of the GoAnimate video maker that's meant for schools and has weapons, alcohol, and tobacco props removed.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: A lot of "Grounded" videos feature the parents giving all sorts of unusual punishment to the kids.
- Crossdressing Voices: Whenever you see Dora used, the model is clearly male, but the voice is always female.
- Deconstruction: After Tumblr discovered the Goanimate community, several attempts at deconstructing grounded videos have been made. Most notable are Eric gets grounded and wakes up to a realization and Eric's Dad Discovers the Truth. NeilsEpic GoAnimate Vids and Mitsuki Goanimate Fan also tend to deconstruct, but more often just satirize the absurdity of grounded/dead meat videos. After the latter gained unironic subscribers from the goanimate community, it became a Stealth Parody.
- Disproportionate Retribution: This is literally the only form of retribution in the infamous "Gets Grounded" videos. Make one small slip-up and you'll find yourself grounded for an impossibly long time. Sometimes your parents will violently attack you. And you can even get grounded for no reason at all.
- Worse, there have been videos made of users the uploader doesn't like being executed and their deaths being celebrated. All this over petty things like making bad videos, as noted below, making fake VHS openings!
- Not to mention that you can get expelled from school just for getting a mathematical problem wrong. (granted, most of the time the grounding victims come up with answers not even remotely close to the actual one, but still)
- Dull Surprise: Makes it surprisingly funny.
- Felony Misdemeanor: The GoAnimate community wants to kill a guy called Warren Cook for making fake VHS openings!
- Not only that, but in a lot of the videos where someone gets arrested, they get sent to jail (often for long periods of time and without a fair trial) over crimes like littering a single hamburger.
- It Is Pronounced Tro PAY: Due to the limitations of the text-to-speech software, Caillou frequently ends up being rendered as either "Kaylew," "Kaylow," or "Kay-Ai-Yew."
- Kick the Dog: As if the execution videos weren't cruel enough already, most of the time the condemned's parents will visit them just to insult them, ground them, and tell them that they hope they suffer when they die, then celebrate at their funeral.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Someone may mention their voice changing to something when they're sick, or have their voice changed as a punishment.
- Life Embellished: Super Rica and Rashy was based on Dini himself (and his wife, Stage Magician Misty Lee.) And their sock monkeys.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Characters may often be injured severely and then speak in a completely deadpan voice.
- Negative Continuity: Unless you're willing to believe characters can survive the abnormally long grounding periods, characters will usually not be grounded next video.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: some of the characters offered look... familiar.
- Read the Fine Print: in the joining conditions if you are going to use the site to make your own projects.
- Raymanian Limbs: The site's mascots, the "Lil' Peepz" seem to have these.
- Seth MacFarlane: The Comedy World theme uses animation similar to his adult cartoons.
- Shout-Out: It is unclear whether it was intentional, but one of the stock characters in the Anime theme looks exactly like Touma Kamijou.
- Strictly Formula: Amongst many authors.
- Suck E. Cheese's: "ATTENTION KIDS; CHUCK E CHEESE WILL BECOME DEADL E CHEESE AT 9 PM. AND ALL EXITS HAVE BEEN SEALED TO MAKE SURE YOU WON'T GET OUT. EVER."
- Synthetic Voice Actor: text to speech voice actors.
- Toilet Humor: With a good number of kids using the site, this is bound to happen.
- Web Animation: Several have been produced or are being produced with GoAnimate.
- You Are Grounded: Commonly happens in the "Gets Grounded" videos.
- You Don't Look Like You: Trying to create some characters in go animate will make them look... really weird.