<h0tm4m4> basically if you post quotes that use the word fag at least once, talk about anal sex between men, make references to nazis, refer to women in the context of rape, allude to child porn, or any form of adolescent sexuality or violent graphic behavior, essentially just limit the quote to anything that a 14 year old boy would say to his 14 year old friends, then it'll get approved. they don't even have to be funny or clever. hope that helps.Bash.org is a site where people submit quotes from chat rooms (IRC, AIM, MSN, etc.) It is moderated, which theoretically helps keep the quality up and the spamming down, and has buttons to vote quotes up or down, thus giving a rough measure of how quality a quote is. It has spawned a number of imitators.Since chat rooms tend to be a microcosm of real life, bash.org exhibits a number of tropes. However, as there are over 20,000 quotes on the site, we cannot exhibit them all, so please pick the ones that best exemplify the trope in question.Has nothing to do with a certain command line...
This site provides examples of:
- Adult Fear: Dying Alone tops spiders.
- All Men Are Perverts: This.
- Also, the whole site.
- And a Diet Coke: This anecdote about insulting a customer who makes this type of order.
- And That's Terrible: The reaction to sorting through the Porn Stash on a girl's hard drive:rhys_rhaven: oh it gets worse. she has no file structure!!!!!
rhys_rhaven: what kind of sick woman doesnt organize her files?!!!
- Appliance Defenestration: This needless destruction.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: This quote.
- Artificial Stupidity: The page quote.
- ASCII Art: A particularly triumphant example.
- Bestiality Is Depraved: Quite a few of these, but here's a funny bait-and-switch example.
- Big Red Devil: Hilarity Ensues when someone cosplaying as one gets into the same hotel as a Southern Baptist convention.
- Black Comedy Rape: Declaration of intent to rape an Internet window.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: "Neonazi" turns up in the unlikeliest of sentences, thanks to a bad cut-and-paste.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Demonstrated masterfully here.
- Casual Danger Dialog: AFK, tornado.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: The former page quote.
- Cereal Vice Reward: A truly epic rant on the subject, with a brief discussion of Adjacent to This Complete Breakfast.
- Christmas Cake: Heather Locklear.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Too many to count. Here are some examples.
- Could Say It, But...: Combines this with False Reassurance.
- Double Standard: Combined with two instances of A Date with Rosie Palms.
- Erotic Eating: Unpleasantly combined with Share the Male Pain.
- Extreme Graphical Representation : Discussed here.
- Eyepatch of Power: The appeal explained at length here.
- Finishing Move: Forward, forward, back, back, forward, punch. What better way is there to kickban someone with the handle "MortalKombat"?
- Follow the Leader: Quite a lot of similar websites can be found in English and other languages, both for general chat quotes, and for quotes from specific channels/communities.
- Freudian Slip: There are many examples, including this one.
- Geeky Analogy: This entry.
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: The otaku version.
- Henway: One of the best examples of the trope.
- Hiroshima as a Unit of Measure: This (intentionally) creepy example.
- His Name Is...: Getting disconnected just before naming a hex address is compared to the murder mystery trope.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: A mod accidently kicks themself from chat.
- Hurricane of Puns: A really naughty one.
- I Am Spartacus: This provides the page quote.
- The Internet Is for Porn: A predictably large number of quotes are about downloading Internet porn.
- Item Get: The jingle from The Legend of Zelda brings hilarity to graduations and sex.
- It Will Never Catch On: Here.
- Lame Pun Reaction: After a bad pun, one user kicked the maker of the pun out of their chat room. The exchange can be found here.
- Literal Genie: Conversed here.
- Less Disturbing in Context: One example.
- Metaphorgotten: Here. Another is combined with Creepy Uncle.
- Noodle Implements: This.
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer: The storyteller here gives one right before describing his encounter with spectacularly dumb customers.
- Not What It Looks Like: A bottle of Coke is mistaken for... something else.
- Percussive Maintenance: With hammers.
- Power Perversion Potential: A discussion of the advantages of telekinesis in foreplay.
- Pun: This, also, this and this.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: This.
- The Problem with Pen Island: He shot his girlfriend?
- Rank Up: Here.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: A Crosses the Line Twice chronicle of the past and future failures of someone asking "where do i fail again?"
- Robe and Wizard Hat: Trope Namer, here.
- Rock Beats Laser: Discussing strategy games.
- Scunthorpe Problem: Autokicks are a pain.
- Seemingly Profound Fool: Professor invites guest speaker on racism, sight unseen, and a "super black gangsta ghetto dude" comes to class:<BronsonTheBeef> so she tells him to give his speech on diversity and shit
<BronsonTheBeef> and he starts talkin about 'the man' and how 'white folk be dissin'
<BronsonTheBeef> then like a minute later this other black dude runs in dressed in a suit
<BronsonTheBeef> and says 'sorry I'm late'
<BronsonTheBeef> it turns out the first black dude was just baked. he doesn't even go to college
<BronsonTheBeef> he just wanted to buy weed in the dorms
- Self-Deprecation: The assumption that every chatroom user is a hopelessly geeky Basement-Dweller who will never know the touch of a woman seems very common, mostly applied to oneself.
- Sex for Services: Quote #180081 is about a girl offering sexual favors in return for writing a sociology paper on "accomplishments and growth of feminism".
- Shoot the Television: Suggested in response to a question concerning "the best program for capping tv."
- Sophisticated as Hell: Here.
- Stop Copying Me: Efficiently neutralized.
- Straw Feminist: Assigned topic: "accomplishments and growth of feminism." Proof: negative.
- Straw Vegetarian: Featured here.
- Talk Like a Pirate: Calling it "software piracy" makes it cooler to talk about.
- The Tetris Effect: This guy has been playing too many platformers.
- That Came Out Wrong: Thousands upon thousands of them. For example.
- Those Wacky Nazis: User named "Hitler" enters and exits #world.
- Tonka Tough: In this quote.
- Too Dumb to Live: Billions and billions of them. This is among the more notable.
- Totally Radical: a hilarious variation.
- [Trope Name]: Quote #23396 is a parody of internet arguments using generic descriptions, complete with someone spouting a Non Sequitur.<Eurakarte> NONSENSICAL STATEMENT INVOLVING PLANKTON
- Unintentional Period Piece: With a site that's encapsulated quotes from the past 15 or so years, quaint and outdated references have been made.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: A bait-and-switch version.
- What Did You Expect When You Named It ____?: Quote #7936 is pithy:*** Quits: TITANIC (Excess Flood)
- Who's on First?: But Watts was in The Ring.
- Wildlife Commentary Spoof: "Like the Mallard Duck and Peacock, the wigger male will go to great lengths to secure a mate."