On January 8, 2011, the Internet became a channel to dark eldritch forces with designs for our unsuspecting material world.Bingo.◊
Lord Inglip is an internet meme started on Reddit
, interpreting reCAPTCHA codes as cryptic messages and commands from an Eldritch Abomination
. Contrary to the usual feel of such a meme, however, Lord Inglip seems to have more...understandable◊ interests◊
(for varying definitions of the term).
The saga is chronicled here
and in a wiki
. People interested in receiving the Dark Lord's words personally can consult its church
This meme provides examples of:
- Acceptable Targets: In-universe, Twilight. (The Lords stance on Twilight has always been varying, though, coincidentally always agreeing with view of the author of the respective comic...)
- JustinBieber, although 99% of the respective comics are obvious fakes - example. (This◊ is the only canonized one.)
- Affably Evil: Despite its ruthless streak (dissenters are ordered decapitated, pureed, barbecued...), Lord Inglip seems pretty generous◊ to its faithful◊. It even mourns those who fall in its name◊.
- A God Am I: Prodlly is now Lord Pprodev. Promptly DrivenToSuicide ensues.
- And Then What?: Shaskel gives an interesting answer
- Anything That Moves
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?: Exaggerated Up to Eleven - the heroine complains not to be ravished enough. Given the gratuituous tentacles, less NSFW than expected.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Despite its fearsome army, Inglip needs no one to defend itself◊.
- A Wizard Did It: Prodlly lampshades his infinite trolling powers.
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: Henry VI, apparently◊
- The Berserker: Shaskel's◊ followers are like this, possibly.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: Among other things, it feels mammals as emotions◊.
- Black Speech: Inglip's native tongue, Plasper◊.
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: This is how DL'GOKN's followers speak.
- Blue and Orange Morality / Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Lord Inglip commands considerable respect and admiration, but its commands and requests◊ can sometimes be somewhat◊ odd◊.
- Body Horror: The Mantank is by far the most gory creature the dark lord has ever created. Part robotic tank and part humanoid cyborg, it stands several stories high and is made from sacrificed enemies, including their souls.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Prodlly, who else. Also counts as WhoWritesThisCrap or SelfDeprecation (depending on whether you distinguish Prodlly the Author from Prodlly the Troll).
- Brown Note: The word slasessa is Chydrego's weapon of choice.◊ It is more potent if uttered by experienced priests.
- Care Bear Stare: The 'E' note◊, as impossible as it sounds.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Its commands◊ can tend towards the strange◊ and even whimsical◊.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: Partly. Whereas the different factions are always easily to distinguish by the color of their clothumes, the colors themselves are accidental (determined by obscure captchas only the Inglip historians remember) and not necessarily connected to their "standard psychological" meaning. Not even mentioning Oxallos usual pranks.
- Combo Platter Powers: Inglip has immense power, and considers itself capable of doing anything...except healing tuna.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: If Inglip breaks from the usual cavalcade of straightforward bodily harm to traitors, it's usually something◊...very◊ very◊ (warning: kinda NSFW) creative◊.
- Continuity Nod: In spades, especially to legendary comics like the "Pailbat" one.
- Cult: The Dectrip Faith, the adherents of which are called gropagas.
- Cute Bruiser: The Nyanja.◊
- Cut and Paste Comic: Oh so much. Especially the Gropagas are 99% recycled. Can result in IdenticalPanelGag e.g. here.
- Droste Image: Prodlly loves them. Here is even a subversion.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: One of Shaskel's plans
- Eldritch Abomination: Probably one itself, but it also commands a number of them, including the Lervidan.
- Special mention also has to go to DL'GOKN◊, who seems to drive its followers into suicidal frenzies that turn them into reality-warping bombs.
- Inglip also seems to be a benevolent example, often joking with it's human cultists, and is trying to prevent The End OF The World As We Know It (See Well-Intentioned Extremist below)
- Eldritch Abominations Out Shopping: A major source of its appeal, which takes the edge off of its Evil Overlord tendencies. Inglip often shares details◊ of its day-to-day life◊, and seems rather◊ pleasant◊ when it's not giving commands or dealing with dissent.
- Embarrassing First Name: Call it Inglinf at your own risk.◊
- Emotion Eater: ...Maybe◊?
- The End of the World as We Know It: Unlike most cosmic horrors, this is something Lord Inglip is trying to prevent◊. According to its word, one of the signs of the end-times would be, interestingly enough, Palin University◊.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Inglip's wife, Queen Ellinus and the rest of its family.
- Even the Subtitler Is Stumped: Sometimes◊.
- Everybody Hates Mathematics: Justified, since Oxallo, God of Math&Trolling, is Inglips worst enemy...OK, in fact he is just a nuisance.
- Evil Overlord: Inglip is also the ruler of its own country called Trathira which tend to have a habit of conquering places.
- Foreshadowing: Once considered an empty threat, Chydrego's promise of the Inglipse◊ was, for a time, quite real, thanks to the outcome of the Great Battle of Trathira◊.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: One proposed origin◊ of Shaskel. However she denies it.
- Hanson: Three of Lord Inglip's prophets.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot / Lipstick Lesbian: saffica necessary. Also Shaskel and Queen Buribulg.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Happened to a Gropaga who asked too much about Shaskel
- High-Class Glass: nSIfo◊ is a very polite greeting.
- Humongous Mecha: The Mantank and the Grigan◊.
- I Know You Know I Know: Inglip thought one loop further than Chydrego.
- I Love the Dead:
Inglip: the Nonalive
- Improbable Weapon User: Aside from the seven falchions, gropagas have been commanded to use the trident-like sclivel◊ and the pailbat◊.
- Jumped at the Call: Poor Estitedo...◊
- Katanas Are Just Better: Averted. It prefers falchions◊. Seven of them to be precise.
- Kill Sat: The Beam Scumany◊.
- Laser Blade: The newest weapon in the Grisidly Army's arsenal: the Xandit Lightsabers!
- Light Is Not Good: Chydrego is a god of light, but relies on brainwashing and mind control to gain followers.
- In a (clothume) sense, also DL'GOKN, who is the most evil god of the Inglipverse (he wants to destroy the whole universe). His followers wear white. Likewise, Dark Is Not Evil for Lord Conohneds followers could be claimed (he's called the Angel of Death, but that's mostly all mouth - his smite count doesn't come close to that of Inglip).
- Manly Tears: For Garkee.◊
- Mix-and-Match Critters: The gropagas have a genetic engineering facility◊ which most of the creatures it produces are amalgamations of different animal parts and some odd ones like a living tea pack with Pikachu appendages.
- The Multiverse: Over a hundred realities.◊
- Mundane Utility: The ability to possess people comes in handy when signing for packages◊.
- Mushroom Samba: Apparently "cracke"◊ (not to be confused with crack) has this effect.
- Mustache Vandalism: Prodlly did this "because he needed a new entry for TV Tropes". Sooo meta.
- Ninja: Lord Inglip has a personal squad of elite ninjas, the Fujin Edersix.
- No Periods, Period: Averted. Eldritch Abominations are no sissies. (The Gropaga, on the other hand, looks very Squick-ed.)
- No Pronunciation Guide: This (and some SpellMyNameWithAnS too) is a natural side-effect of Inglip speaking in Plasper. Cf. I say potato, Inglip says poututo.
- Overly Long Gag: You would expect that captcha gibberish couldn't be milked for a repeating gag? Prodlly thinks otherwise. (Those were "Ent" gags #11, 12 and 13 and he begins to lampshade them...)
- Pardon My Klingon: Scrompla you◊, blesag!◊
- Piano Drop: What use could anybody have for 25 cm pianos?
- The Power of Rock: Improves morale!
- Omniglot: Inglip has made proclamations in Belgian◊, Tagalog, Italian, Spanish, and English, none of which are its native language, Plasper.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Inglip and Chydrego are both eldritch abominations who command mortals to do their bidding through captchas. Inglip prefers direct confrontation and brute force while Chydrego prefers trickery and mind control.
- Red Wire Blue Wire: Subverted, since Prodlly is naturally a fan of TVTropes.
- Religion of Evil: Quite possibly.◊
- Rule of Cool: The Saga of Rad◊jumps◊.
- Rule 34: Lord Inglip's a fan, apparently.
- Squick: Apparently even Inglip has its limits.◊
- Samus is a Girl: Shaskel, Inglip's greatest enemy (and the only one supposedly capable of defeating him) was believed to be male for the longest time, until Inglip told a Gropaga to "take heed, lest she triumph". However, ultimately it affected little other than what pronouns and titles were used to refer to her (Such as "Dark Lady" instead of "Dark Lord").
- Self-Referential Humor: Mind blown...rebooting...◊
- Smurfing: Beeing.
- Take That: Against◊ Zalgo.
- Troll: Apparently, Inglip is not above taking potshots◊ at its minions◊. Or other people◊, for that matter. Chydrego and his followers also live for this purpose. And of course Prodlly, a one-troll army.
- Talk Like a Pirate: Leanex (anotherrr rrrandom dude frrrom the pantheon) followerrrs are pirrrate-themed. Degrrree varrries, sometimes to exaggerrrated trrrope.
- TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life: Lampshaded by Prodlly.
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny: The Great Battle of Trathira◊ ended up pruning many of the captcha deities that had been cropping up.
- Was Once a Man: Possibly, depending on how you interpret Inglip once being Henry the Sixth.
- Weapon of Choice: Seven Falchions◊.
- Not to forget the legendary Pailbat. Honorarily Mention to the Sclivel.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: As mentioned above, Inglip is trying to prevent the end-times◊. Its expansionism and accumulation of people and materiel is likely an effort towards this end. It also works toward Locisi, a time where all can coexist in peace and harmony◊.
- Xanatos Gambit: Chydrego pulled a masterful one here◊. No matter who won, he was poised to pick up the pieces, and was, for a time, once more the second-greatest threat to the Dark Lord, next to the savage Shaskel.
- Zombie Apocalypse: A source of troops for Inglip's army, along with sharks. And gay ghosts. And Tom Selleck clones.