is a fantasy/humour webcomic by Vivienne Medrano about a neurotic young woman named Cameron who, when desperate for a job, winds up being unexpectedly thrust into Safe Haven, a fantastic world full of incredible beasts, unimaginable beings and zany characters. She receives a job as a guidance counselor at the Zoo-Phoenix Academy, where she faces head-on with a colorful cast of talking animals and strange creatures. Unfortunately, Cameron has quite the terrible case of zoophobia
and is ultimately terrified by the very students and staff she must work with.
This series is currently on hiatus while its website is undergoing some major re-tooling. The last official word on the matter says the site will be up again by November.Now has a character page!
This comic provides examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: There are characters named Vanexa, Zechariah, Venganza and Afkinz, then there are those called Jack, Tom and Nathan.
- All There in the Manual: Some characters and themes are explained and expanded on in character sheets and by Vivienne herself.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife/Amazing Technicolor Population: The characters that are standard, garden-variety humans and talking animals have perfectly ordinary coloration. There aren't many characters in this comic that fit that description.
- Ambiguously Brown: Just what ethnicity are Mirage, Phineas and Camilla?
- Angels, Devils and Squid: Adina the angel, Lucifer the Devil and Winston, the squid-man.
- Anti Anti Christ: Damian, quite literally. He's the son of Satan himself, but prefers to hang out with his friends on the surface world. At first he does so against his father's wishes, but after telling his parents how much he hates living in Hell, Satan agrees to allow him to continue visiting the surface.
- Animals Not to Scale: Some animals, such as Fabian, Zechariah, and Jackie in bird form, are enormous compared to how their species would look in real life. Cameron at one point outright refers to the animals as "oversized."
- Anything That Moves: Word of God states that the demon Angel will go after anything that moves.
- Art Evolution: Compare here to . The site relaunch on July 29th 2013 that followed a months-long hiatus brought with it new and improved artwork, with backgrounds featuring far more details, shading and colouring becoming more intense and attractive, and an overall cleaner look.
- Creepy Cute: Despite beastly appearances/natures, many characters of this type still manage to come off as cute.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: In the world of Zoophobia, we have shapeshifters, vampires, werewolves, sirens, menaces (related to sirens, but more aggressive), angels, demons, banshees, reapers, nature spirits, unicorns, dragons and many, many more species all existing together.
- Fantastic Racism:
- Some avians consider themselves superior to other species, especially when it comes to performing arts.
- Leeson freaks out when he realizes Damian is a demon. The use of the trope is justified for two reasons. 1) He was a fundamentalist Christian. 2) Demons are not allowed in the area.
- Feather Fingers: Averts this. Any creature who can't pick up/hold things in their natural form has a human form.
- Glowing Eyes: Mostly done for dramatic effect, or to indicate power but some characters have them constantly.
- High School: The story revolves around the students and staff of the Zoo-Phoenix Academy.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Despite her outwardly tough and promiscuous demeanour, Camilla is just a misunderstood girl with a bad reputation.
- Horny Devil: Tom and Tam are an incubus and a succubus, respectively.
- Interspecies Romance
- Kayla is a kangaroo, Zill seems to be some sort of bug thing.
- Alanzo and Jackie are both macaws, but different species.
- Jack's description states that he's a "jackal-mutt", which would suggest that his cousin is a "jackal-devil".
- Jerkass Realization: As the title would suggest, Cameron has an enormous fear of animals and when she isn't frozen from fear, she tends to blindly attack anyone around her. This leads her to have to apologize to the mailman daily for constantly swatting him with a baseball bat or some other weapon. She admits that she needs to work on this.
- Light Is Not Good: Adina, a Knight Templar angel who believes that all sinful beings need to be purged from the world, (namely Damian).
- Loads and Loads of Characters: This series has already introduced up to about 50 characters within only it's first 3 arcs. And the third arc isn't even complete yet. The creator has an entire Tumblr devoted to listing the characters.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: Addison is unfazed by Tentadora's attractiveness, which is only natural being that he's gay. Damian as well for the obvious reason being that she's his nanny.
- Official Couple: Zill and Kayla are the token couple.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Afkinz's hair is so long that at one point he trips by stepping on it.
- Jestine's hair almost seems never-ending.
- Right Behind Me: When Cameron runs away from the world's residents and stops right at the edge of a cliff, Zech walks up behind her, causing her to faint.
- Scary Flashlight Face: Damian does this to Cameron: "I'M THE ANTI-CHRIST!"
- Shapeshifter: KayCee and Jillian. note
- Many, many characters are animal shapeshifters. So far, there have been avians (birds), serpentines (snakes), aquaians (fish and sea creatures) and deer spirits.
- Vivienne states that only characters whose animal forms are limited (such as being unable to hold something due to having hooves or wings instead of paws/hands) have a human form to help them fit in society.
- Security Cling: Damian jumps into Tentadora's arms when his father makes an entrance.
- Cameron also clings to Jackie when Sahara's magic explodes during her talent show audition.
- Sleeping Dummy: How Damien skips out on his tutoring to go to school. Not only does the tutor never suspect a thing, he believes he hears Damien answer his questions.
- Snake People: Latika is a naga, and also the 'Serpentines' (snake/human shapshifters).
- Speak of the Devil: Happens to Styx when he's scolding Bob and Larry for all the recent unruly demon activity.
- Speech Bubbles: All the characters have different colored word balloons, for example, Zill's bubbles are green, Jack's are light brown, Damian's are black and red, and Kayla's are powder blue. Cameron is the only character whose bubbles are the typical white and black bubbles.
- Your Worst Nightmare: Cameron has a terrible case of zoophobia. Where does she get her new job? A land filled with animals.