Webcomic / Zoo La La
is a Furry Webcomic found on the author's Deviant Art account.
It is a slice of life comedy revolving around the antics and (mis)adventures of a cast of teenage anthros and humans. The main cast features two human characters, Bianca and Sparky, as well as a group of anthros composed of a tabby cat named J.T., a mink named Brooklyn, a mouse named Marcie, a Border Collie named Jackie, and Sparky's pet mutt, Angel.
See also Turner Academy
, another Furry Webcomic
by the same author.
Zoo~la~la contains examples of:
- Alliterative Name: Fifi la Frou Frou.
- Animals Not to Scale Variant 1: The five anthros are all about the same size as the human cast, despite being a cat, two dogs, a mouse, and a mink.
- Author Avatar: A grey cat named Shiloh.
- Channel Hop sort of...the comic originated on a Facebook page, but was later transferred over to Deviant Art.
- The Ditz: Angel.
- Everyone Meets Everyone: Subverted in the Pilot; Angel is introduced to J.T. at the end of the story, and it is established that Jackie, Brooklyn, Marcie, and J.T. already knew each other.
- Female Feline, Male Mutt: Inverted by three of the main five anthros. J.T. the Cat is the only boy in the group while the two dogs, Angel and Jackie, are both girls.
- Fiery Redhead Angel and Sparky, just not so much angry as spunky and free spirited.
- Averted by Marcie, the quiet bookworm mouse.
- Five-Man Band:
- The Flapper Despite the webcomic having a modern setting Bianca could qualify as a subversion. Her fashion sense is based on vintage styles, especially 20s looks, she enjoys listening to and singing jazz music, and she was originally going to be drawn as a brunette version of Roxie Hart from the movie version Chicago, however, she is more of a Shrinking Violet than the typical daring flapper personality.
- Four Girl Ensemble the girls from the main five group of anthros:
- Angel - The Ditz
- Brooklyn - The Flirt
- Jackie - The Tomboy
- Marcie - The Smart One
- Fur and Loathing parodied in the Earth Day comic strip.
- Girlish Pigtails and Tomboyish Ponytail: Inverted. Jackie is a tomboy with pigtails while the, not necessarily girly, but more feminine Brooklyn wears her hair in a ponytail.
- Interspecies Romance: Seen in the pilot with J.T. and Angel (cat and dog), Marcie and her boyfriend (mouse and some kind of canine), and Brooklyn and her boyfriend (mink and human)
- It's Fake Fur, It's Fine: Said almost word-for-word by Bianca in the Earth Day strip.
- Known Only by Their Nickname: Sparky.
- Limited Wardrobe: While the colors vary, Angel is often seen wearing a tank top with a skirt or a sweetheart top dress with a cardigan.
- Line-of-Sight Name: In the pilot, Jackie comes up with the name "Angel" after looking at her iPod playlist and spotting Aerosmith a song with that title.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Played straight by Marcie and Brooklyn, however, most of the other female characters (not just the tomboyish Jackie) have hair that is shoulder length or shorter.
- Manic Pixie Dream Boy Sparky to Bianca.
- Nerd Glasses: Marcie.
- Not Good with People Subversion of the shy version. Bianca can be quite social if she tried, but she usually just prefers the company of her pet birds over interaction with other people.
- Not So Imaginary Girlfriend Played with in the pilot. Originally "Angel" and "Joey" were imaginary dates made up by the characters' friends. Later, the real Angel and J.T. end up meeting each other in person, each thinking the other is their date.
- Odd Friendship Sparky is a total Genki Boy while Bianca is more quiet and introverted.
- Overly-Long Name Angelle Raquel Krystal Zephyr Evelyn Maxine Rebecca Dawn Antoinette Juliet Quinn. (Often shortened to "Angelle Raquel Quinn" or just "Angel Quinn")
- Princesses Prefer Pink Angel's "fairy princess" costume at the Mardi Gras masquerade
- Shorter Means Smarter Marcie is the smartest one of the group, and she's a mouse.
- Shout-Out TONS of them, especially with the names.
- Marcie's full name and species is a shout-out to Walt Disney. Marcie is short for Marceline (the name of a town where he lived at one point in his childhood), her middle name is Annette (a character from Lady and the Tramp II), and her last name is Walters. (Take a wild guess). Plus, she's a mouse.
- Brooklyn's middle name is Audrey and her last name is Monroe.
- In part of the pilot, Jackie's iPod is shown to have music by Bon Jovi, Bowling for Soup, and Aerosmith (the Aerosmith song "Angel" being part of the plot).
- Shrinking Violet: Bianca pretty much keeps to herself around anyone except Sparky and her pet birds.
- Side-Story Bonus Art: a whole folder dedicated solely to this.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: Jackie in the pilot when she wore a red wig for her disguise as the fake girlfriend she made up for J.T.
- Species Surname: Joey the Cat.
- However the "T" in J.T. stands for his middle name, Tiger, not "the".
- Stock Animal Name Joey's middle name is "Tiger".
- Sweater Girl: Fifi.
- Teen Protagonist
- Token Human Sparky and Bianca are the only humans in the main cast (however, there have been some other humans, such as Brooklyn's love interest seen in two scenes of the pilot)
- Uptown Girl: Bianca to Sparky.