A Slice Of Life Webcomic
that revolves around Ronnie, an awkward, geeky, easily-depressed, webcomic-writing Man Child
. With him is his best friend and female roommate Agrias,
Motivation Dude or M Dude; a physical manifestation of his motivation
who makes it his job to make Ronnie's life horrible and Ronnie's now former
girlfriend Mei who likes him for reasons unknown.Check it out here.
Whomp provides examples of:
- Anthropomorphic Personification: M Dude represents Ronnie's motivation.
- Apologizes a Lot: Here
- Author Avatar
- Axe Crazy: King Stabs. Despite being a Monster Clown, notably manages to avoid being The Caligula.
- Badass Beard: Ronnie has a beard which he is very proud of.
- Bald of Evil: M Dude.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: This.
- Blessed with Suck: Ronnie's "magic fat". Any shirt that Ronnie puts on that is not a Hawaiian shirt turns into a Hawaiian shirt. In fact, any object that makes contact with Ronnie's torso is turned into a Hawaiian shirt... without changing size. A fly that lands on Ronnie's torso turns into a tiny Hawaiian shirt, for example. Ronnie gets this from his dad, who has the same problem, but with Santa outfits instead of Hawaiian shirts.
- Body Horror: The McRib.
- Chubby Chaser: It's implied that Mei is only dating Ronnie because she has a fetish for fat men.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Agrias is often forced into this role, as she's pretty much the only person who understands how Ronnie functions.
- Cringe Comedy: Much of the humor in Whomp is centered around the main character Ronnie and his debilitating social awkwardness, as indicated here and here.
- Crying Indian: Ronnie's reaction to seeing McNuggets thrown on the ground.
- Distinctive Appearances: Ronnie's cartoon form appears to be based off of a circle.
- Fat Idiot
- Fear of Thunder: "Spongeron Roundpants"
- Gass Hole
- Give Geeks a Chance
- Grammar Nazi: "Text Dirty To Me"
- Humanoid Abomination: "Runnie's replace", as it calls itself. A tall... thing with Bizarre Alien Biology, a face that appears to be made of balloons and talks in horribly mangled english. Sometimes it shows up when "Runnie is feel unwell" and does nothing except a weird mockery of Ronnie's daily behaviour (except that one time it tried to kill itself) and creep the hell out of Agrias. Absolutely no explanation is ever given about what it is.
- I Have No Son: His father who happens to be Santa Claus.
- Jerkass: M Dude
- Klingon Scientists Get No Respect: The Smartest Klingon
- Life Embellished
- Limited Wardrobe: Ronnie's Hawaiian shirts, thanks to his "magic fat", as explained above.
- Literal Metaphor: Which was proven wrong.
- Loser Protagonist: Not quite at Al Bundy levels, but close.
- Lovable Nerd: Ronnie (for varying values of "lovable").
- Made Myself Sad: Ronnie multiple times
- Magic Carpet: "Tragic Carpet Ride"
- Man Child
- Mistaken for Gay "Preconceived Emotions"◊
- Mood-Swinger: Ronnie often, as well as this girl.
- Nerd Glasses:
- Nervous Wreck: Ronnie is constantly paranoid about what other people think about him, going to great lengths to save himself from embarrassment (although this often backfires and Ronnie ends up humiliated anyway). He's also easily startled by loud noises and tends to get emotionally overwhelmed at extremely trivial shortcomings. Even thinking about something sad will reduce him to a cripplingly-depressed (and naked) puddle.
- Noodle Implements: "Not the bucket!"
- Not So Different: Agrias and Ronnie. They share the same love for comics and video games. And while Ronnie is far more socially awkward, Agrias can prove herself quite weird, if not disgusting, too. She gets to realize this in this strip.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Agrias' real name is Li Ming Chiu, but she goes by her nickname almost exclusively.
- Platonic Life Partners: Ronnie and his female roommate Agrias
- Previously On: This
- Proud to Be a Geek
- Slice of Life
- Trademark Favorite Food: Ronnie's Chicken McNuggets.
- Ugly Guy Hot Girlfriend: Ronnie and Mei. Why she's attracted to him is anyone's guess.
- Vorpal Pillow: "Fight For Your Right To (Slumber) Party"
- Xanatos Gambit: M Dude.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair: Mei's hair is violet with a streak of pink.
- Your Head A Splode: "Cookie Ronster"