is a fantasy webcomic by Shawn Tommelleo, creator of Coffin Comics
. The story follows Coffinshaker, Nith, and Ell. Coffin, a born fire mage and last of his kind, travels with his two mage friends (ok, Nith is a battlemage, but close enough) to uncover a wicked plot to use his unique abilities to power the evil "fire god" Fred.
What's Shakin' shows examples of the following tropes:
- Action Girl: Ell, but only in time of need. Mostly defensive, but she can kick a butt or two.
- Aerith and Bob: Ell, Nith, Pai... and Coffinshaker... and Fred.
- Always Chaotic Evil: Pretty much just Fred. He has an irrational need to gain power and destroy.
- Art Shift: Each flashback has a different art style.
- Page 37 - Ell's flashback uses the old B&W animation style.
- Page 38 - Pai's flashback uses a childish crayon style.
- Page 39 - Nith's flashback is in a B&W manga style.
- Page 40 - Coffin's flashback uses an old disco painting/tarnished style.
- Page 49 - Fred's flahback has a monochrome red grunge style.
- Page 52 & Page 53 - The Sister's flashback uses an old cartoon, like Scooby Doo kind of style.
- Big Bad: Fred. He's just a big bad jerk.
- Big "NO!": Nith discovers his home has been destroyed.
- Combat Medic: Ell.
- Cleavage Window: Ms. Apple.
- Cute Monster Girl: Ell and Pai.
- Daydream Surprise: Coffinshaker does this at times where his fantasies blend into the story layout without notice.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Coffin and Pai don't wear shoes!
- Elemental Absorption: Fred, a fire elemental, absorbs fire magic, which is why he hunts fire mages to consume their powers.
- Elemental Embodiment: All the elementals are called Eternals, which are embodiments a single element. The only eternal seen so far has been Fred.
- Elemental Powers: Mages and Battlemages have the ability to use all types of magic, but excel in only one type.
- Fire Magic: Coffinshaker, who is also the only one that can use fire magic.
- Holy Magic: Ell and Nith use holy magic. Though Ell mostly heals, but can sometimes attack too.
- Spirit Magic: Pai is a spirit mage, a type of mage that can gain the powers from creatures from the spirit world. Granted, she can't use these powers just yet.
- Summon Magic: Spirit mages like Pai are able to summon their spirits in the form of "haints" aka ghosts. Of course... Pai is not able to use these powers yet.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: In contrast to typical canon, ice and water elements are weak against fire as seen in the fight against Fred.
- Embarrassing First Name: The evil fire god's name is Fred. This is lampshaded with the heros saying, "Wow, worst villain name ever!"
- Final Boss Preview: Fred.
- Glass Cannon: Coffin is a fairly powerful fire mage, but without his reliance of fire, is mostly vulnerable to all other attacks. He does seem to have some bit of acrobatic skills though.
- Impossibly-Low Neckline: Ell and Pai.
- Oh Crap: Coffin experiences this when Fred absorbs all of his fire attacks and is cornered with no way to defend himself.
- Power Glows: Ell powers up with anger!
- Scenery Porn: Many large panel scenes are drawn this way to emphasize something dramatic going on. Or transitional pages to help break the mood, like THIS one.
- Silence Is Golden: The last page of every issue has absolutely no dialog or narration.
- Southern-Fried Genius: Basically all of the mages.
- The Speechless: Coffinshaker never speaks! Neither does Berry.