We have the four kids. Sonja was born on the moon and has access to the MacGuffin. EntropicPhantom is a more normal guy, so far. pwnz0rz has some useful connections. Meta is Properly Paranoid ( and a cyborg) skilled hacker. Then there's meta's dad. But there's more! @hena doesn't want to die. Then there's Admiral Pancake and his sc underlings. And then there's OITHEOI and BloodShoes. And to top it all off, there's GodsOfOlympus. Got all that?Unichat
—A reader, commenting on the plot of the comic.
is a text-based webcomic
about a group of people who communicate on a chat program called Unichat (with the entire comic consisting of their fictional chat logs). It is set in the near future, starting in the year 2089 and featuring a lunar colony where the character Sonja (alias SonjaOfTheMoon) lives. The comic is recently "back from the metaphorical grave" after more than a year of being an Orphaned Series
Unichat provides examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: Variant. The names of characters revealed are quite mundane, but since most characters are only known by their chat names, very few of them sound as such.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Those who have absolute control over warp energy are described as basically having become gods.
- Badass Damsel: Sonja, holding the MacGuffin, knows how to use it, so when her captors give her an opening, she takes it.
- Card-Carrying Villain: The Space Pirates.
- Cerebus Syndrome: This page is even titled "Cerebus".
- The Chessmaster: In what is at least a three-way battle, between Admiral Pancake, OITHEOI, and GodsOfOlympus, with other possibles such as meta's dad.
- Cloudcuckoolander: What some of the characters initially appear as. However, in most cases, what they say has basis in fact...
- Color-Coded Characters: Each character has their own chat color.
- Evil Counterpart: Though not strictly evil, multiple characters tend to have parallels to the four kids.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Sonja's username is SonjaOfTheMoon, and she lives on the moon.
- Instant A.I., Just Add Water: The first sufficiently complicated @hena program becomes an AI.
- Kudzu Plot: Admiral Pancake, GodsOfOlympus, @hena, meta's dad, OITHEOI, and probably other factions all have their own goals and objectives.
- Leet Lingo: sentientconspirator talks in an extreme version of this.
- Narrative Profanity Filter: The chat client has a filter. Often used for jokes.
- No Name Given: Most of the characters. EntropicPhantom and pwnz0rz are known to be named Alex and Luke respectively, and SonjaOfTheMoon's name is in fact Sonja, but otherwise, no one's name is known. meta's dad takes this a step further by not even having a username.
- Our Graphics Will Suck In The Future: Despite the comic being set in the year 2089, text-based chat is still used... Even between space ships.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: Averted—Though they may appear not to be active, Admiral Pancake's pirate conspirators are actively working to fulfill his agenda.
- Reality Warper: Anyone who can control warp energy. Some can do this purely mentally; others rely on a programming language, which is harder to use but more powerful.
- Running Gag: ...AND STAB UNICHAT'S FILTER IN THE CENSORED!
- Space Pirates: Lead by a man known only by his Unichat handle "Admiral Pancake". They were seen attacking a shuttlecraft carrying Sonja's family when they were going to Earth for shore leave.
- Strange Syntax Speaker: stealthyconspirator uses semicolons in place of most punctuation, except at the end of a message.
- Theme Naming: The pirate underlings use Unichat handles consisting of a word that starts with "s" and "conspirator". This convention came from the author's friend posting a comment as "silentconspirator" (as did the entire idea of having the underlings as full characters).
- Thirty Gambit Pileup: At least three warring factions exist, with multiple other agendas involved.
- True Companions: The four kids, Entropic, Sonja, pwnz0rz, and meta.
- Verbal Tic: @hena, using Sonja's account, compulsively uses ALL CAPS and spams the letter "G".
- Writing by the Seat of Your Pants
- Webcomic Time: Averted - There are time-stamps on all comics after a certain point.
- Weirdness Censor: On occasion, usually related to the pirates.
- What the Hell, Hero?: After Sonja was thought dead, EntropicPhantom and pwnz0rz call out GodsOfOlympus on his uncaring attitude.