is a Magic: The Gathering
webcomic that started in May of 2004. It stars two roommates and avid Magic
players, Tyler and Dominic. The comic usually uses the Two Gamers on a Couch
format, but has branched out many times into other formats; the author has shown a taste for experimentation with comic styles. Much of the comic's humor comes from poking fun at the Magic
community, especially the Unpleasable Fanbase
, although there is plenty of character humor as well. The title of the webcomic is actually pronounced "Blue Green Madness", as U and G are oftentimes used by Magic
players to refer to the game colors of blue and green respectively. The term "UG Madness" refers to a popular deck archetype from the game's Odyssey
(the webcomic, not the deck) has actually been recognized by Magic: The Gathering
R&D director and writer Mark Rosewater (who also happens to be a recurring character in the comic).
Ended on 12/29/2008, but the full archives are available at http://www.ugmadness.net
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Awesome, but Impractical: This strip demonstrates the mindset many players have about cards with high mana costs.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The author of the comic has vowed never to break the fourth wall...except for this strip poking fun at his own vow.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Magic R&D director Mark Rosewater, a.k.a. "Maro". He holds frequent conversations with talking consumer products and a giant red hairball named Thomas. He's also an imp.
- Gamer Chick: Erin
- GIS Syndrome: The comic occasionally did this in its early days, usually in the form of pictures on the wall.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Dominic's shoulder devil tempts him to make bad deckbuilding choices. His shoulder angel is a Cloudcuckoolander with Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!.
- Happy Place: Maro's happy place is inhabited by the aforementioned talking consumer products and Thomas, as well as the spirits of three dead samurai. They play Monopoly in their free time.
- Hulkspeak: Thomas
- Interactive Narrator: Parodied in this strip.
- Jerkass: Dominic, Permission Sam
- Metagame: Frequently commented on, given that this is a Magic: The Gathering webcomic.
- The Napoleon: Permission Sam
- Prison Rape: Parodied in this strip using Yu-Gi-Oh! cards.
- Satan: A recurring minor character. Works with Maro.
- The Smurfette Principle: Erin. Hey, this is a webcomic about Magic: The Gathering, after all.
- Sudden Anatomy: Characters will suddenly have fingers if they need to point at something.
- Take That: A few against Yu-Gi-Oh!.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: All the time, In-Universe, especially with the character Fanboy.
- Two Gamers on a Couch
- Unpleasable Fanbase: Fanboy, In-Universe, the embodiment of this trope.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Dominic and Steve, as seen here.