Webcomic: Touhou Journal
Touhou Journal (東方日記 - "Touhou Nikki"note ) is a Touhou Yonkoma written by Sora no Amagumo.The comic is mostly a Slice of Life series, with one major detail: Its version of Reimu Hakurei, Touhou's central protagonist, is silent, absolutely kind, and downright adorable. Despite being silent, she's somehow able to communicate with other characters just fine, even without sign language or very hinting gestures.The comic started in 2010, but seems to have stopped as of June 2012; no new updates have arised aside from once-in-a-long-while fanart of Reimu.The comic can be read in its original Japanese starting here (though you need a pixiv account); click the left button in the navigation bar above to view the next batch of comics. Alternatively, the entire series, translated into English, can be read here (comic is SFW, but Danbooru itself has NSFW ads).
Touhou Journal contains examples of the following:
- Affectionate Parody: "Reimu Reimu" and "PEKAAAA" feature a Super-Deformed clone of Reimu drawn in the style of Tsunamayo, an artist well-known for drawing chibis with big open-mouth smiles.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parent: Alice certainly seems to see Shinki this way, from how she reacts when she comes to visit.
- All-Loving Hero: Reimu. See Nice Girl and I Just Want to Have Friends for some examples, but there's plenty others throughout the comic.
- Art Evolution: Sora's art style has dramatically changed since the first strip, as demonstrated here.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: The Aki Sisters occasionally pop up to attempt this, usually while spouting Fall related Japanese Puns and Word play, but they don't seem to be very good at it.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Remilia has a blazingly obvious girl crush on Reimu and throws a tantrum whenever someone else is hogging her attention while she's around.
- Cute Mute: Reimu.
- Fan Disservice: In This Comic, Remilia catches Reimu changing (still SFW as she was still wearing her Sarashi). Normally this would be a Fanservice moment, but the general reaction in the comments is "This Reimu is too adorable, now I feel so dirty...". Remilia, on the other hand, faints.
- Meganekko: Patchouli gives Reimu glasses to try on. Unsurprisingly, this gives her dizzy vision.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Nue. Reimu grants her wish.
- Lighter and Softer: This compared to many other renditions of Gensokyo, so much to the point where it seems there's no incidents as the comic shows Reimu meeting various newcomers on very nice terms.
- Lost Food Grievance: Poor Reimu doesn't take lost yakisoba that well.
- Nice Girl: Reimu. She has absolutely no Jerk Ass moments here; just unconditional, wall-to-wall kindness.
"Reimu, you're almost too nice for your own good..."
- As Remilia puts it:
- In "What Did You Lose?", Nazrin offers her searching abilities to Reimu, asking Reimu if she wants anything she's lost found. What does Reimu ask for? A nail clipper and nothing else.
- Only Sane Woman: Alice, most of the time.
- Servile Snarker: Sakuya, especially when Remilia's crush on Reimu comes up.
- The Silent Bob: Reimu. Some other characters bear this trait, and are on very buddy-buddy terms with Reimu. The characters that speak lampshade this.
- Sore Loser: Reimu doesn't like losing at Jenga. Even though she's terrible at it.
- The Stoic: Kisume always looks bored, even when she's not. Unzan also appears devoid of emotion despite whatever he's really feeling. This is lampshaded in "A Quiet Party":Satori: "This is the first time I've ever seen Kisume look so happy!"
Marisa: "How can you tell?"
Ichirin: "It's the first time I've seen such a happy smile on Unzan's face!"
Marisa and Yamame: "How can you tell?!"
- The Speechless: Reimu. Subverted in that she is able to communicate with other characters just fine, despite having no voice.
- Tareme Eyes: Sanae.
- Tongue Trauma: Played up for cuteness in Tea.