Webcomic: Three Chord Dorks
is a webcomic by self-proclaimed rock fan Kevin Griffin. The comic stars Kevin Griffin (no relation to the author
) and his friends Arya (his roommate) and Cassie (who is also Arya’s girlfriend). Other characters include Jolie (Kevin’s Tsundere Love Interest
and Cassie's older sister), Sultan (Kevin’s best friend from childhood), and Wade and Myles Brownstone (Kevin’s next-door neighbors). The jokes revolve mainly around rock and metal music, but draw plenty from other materials (such as anime, superhero comics, and video games).
Also notable is Kevin's reviews of a number of artists and albums. Kevin is known to be level-headed and sensible when it comes to judging music, making a distinction between “objectively low quality” and “not my taste”. Check out what he has to say about Lady Gaga
and Justin Bieber
. He can also distinguish between being popular and being skilled, which sometimes brings surprising insight for a gag-a-day webcomic about rock.Needs More Love
3-Chord Dorks provides examples of the following tropes:
- Accidental Innuendo: Oh Cassie…
- Accidental Misnaming: It’s Eric.
- The Alcoholic: Cassie
- All Men Are Perverts: Kevin and Arya are, at least. Also, Jolie thinks so.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Cassie implies such a thing here. In a later strip, Kevin defies it verbally.
- Animesque: The 100th page.
- Apocalypse How: Apparently, you can blame the Canadians!
- April Fools' Day: Combined with some Self-Deprecation!
- Armor-Piercing Question: Cassie to Jolie.
- Art Evolution: Compare the first strip to the first fully-colored strip 200 strips later.
- This was invoked when Kevin switched to drawing the comic digitally (the first all-digital strip here).
- Asian Speekee Engrish: At the B’z concert…
- Aside Glance: Non-comedic version here.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Cassie can be quite easy to distract.
- Awesome McCoolname: Kevin convinces Arya to care about a band because of the name.
- Awesomeness Is Volatile: Actually it’s poisonous to Kevin.
- Badass Beard: Arya gets one after he forgot to shave.
- Badass Mustache: Believe it or not, Cassie (or to be more precise, Cassandra Rockerton Moustachingsworth III) is sometimes drawn with a handlebar mustache. Played for Laughs, of course.
- Bad Liar: Kevin. An example.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: On Flake Lorenz.
- Beach Episode: Starting in earnest here.
- Big "NO!": Kevin here.
- Better Than Sex: Arya tries to subvert this. He fails.
- Blatant Lies: “I’m sure that had no effect on my decision.”
- Blinding Bangs: Cassie. Lampshaded here.
- The British Invasion: Naturally.
- Brought to You by the Letter "S": B’z, actually.
- Bunnies for Cuteness: Cassie loves ‘em. Examples here and here.
- Cannot Talk to Women: Kevin. At least at first. (though he still has his moments even after the development.)
- Captain Ersatz: In-universe. However, Tropes Are Not Bad (according to Kevin, at least).
- Cat Girl / Little Bit Beastly: The Crowley sisters here.
- Celebrity Resemblance: Val Kilmer playing Jim Morrison.
- Childhood Friends: Kevin and Sultan.
- Crack is Cheaper: Kevin spends 400 dollars on Bon Scott's old underwear. Also, Gear Acquisition Syndrome (which is more expensive than heroin).
- Cosplay: Kevin here. Also, while waiting for the Wii U launch...
- Dark and Troubled Past: Jolie. Also Cassie, to a certain extent.
- Demon Head: Be careful when talking to a couch-stuck Jolie.
- Distracted by My Own Sexy: Going to the gym makes you hot!.
- Does This Remind You of Anything? / Fridge Horror: In-universe, the song “Don’t Let Daddy Kiss Me”
- Double Standard: And Jolie doesn’t mind!
- Dream Team: Of YouTube guitarists!
- Driven to Suicide: Played for Laughs; Arya does this and so does Kevin. Twice, actually.
- Epic Fail: Arya keeps a list of stupid things Kevin has said to women in the past. Kevin’s (attempt at) apology: this.
- Facepalm: Double facepalm!
- Fan Dumb: Some of the Nirvana fans, apparently.
- Fanservice: There are some here and there, but most notable is the Fanservice Week, starting from here.
- Fish Eyes: Kevin sometimes gets these, usually in the middle of a nerdgasm.
- Flipping the Bird: Dan Patlansky to John Mayer.
- Fridge Logic: In-universe!
- Freudian Excuse: Cassie has some… daddy issues, explained starting here.
- Freudian Slip: Oh Kevin…
- Funny Afro: Andrew Stockdale’s ‘White Boy Afro’
- Fun Size: Kevin is party-sized.
- Fun with Acronyms: G.A.S.
- Game Music: Aside from The Legend of Zelda, this is what prompted Kevin and Jolie to bond. Jolie is especially fond of these.
- Gamer Chick: Jolie, and proud of it.
- Geeky Turn-On: As usual, Kevin.
- Genre Blind: Sometimes Cassie can be this.
- Genre Savvy: Arya and Cassie are all too familiar with safety measures around Kevin. Arya can also successfully distract Cassie from whatever she’s focusing on (so can Jolie, though with less success).
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: A party!
- Gilligan Cut: Here and there.
- Global Ignorance: Kevin, being American.
- Gratuitous French: Apparently Jolie can speak French.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Kevin, towards his friend who went to a Slash concert when he himself didn’t.
- Groin Attack: Cassie threatens “the little one”
- Hates Being Touched: Myles.
- Heävy Mëtal Ümlaut: Discussed.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Kevin and Sultan. They even go on man-dates and give man-hugs!
- Hidden Depths: Myles. Seriously.
- Hypocritical Humor: History is important…
- I Call It Vera: Kevin’s guitar in real life is named Ghost.
- Ignoring By Singing: Wade does this.
- Image Boards: You know the one!
- Imagine Spot: Kevin again. Jolie has one here.
- Incoming Ham: Here.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: Jolie asked if Kevin would like some Brutal Honesty instead, ultimately subverting Not Even Bothering with an Excuse.
- Jerkass: Eddie van Halen, according to Kevin.
- Jizzed in My Pants / Nocturnal Emission: Played for Laughs here.
- Kamehame Hadouken: Here.
- Kill It with Fire: Kevin, to his computer.
- Last-Second Word Swap: Jolie.
- Leet Lingo: Myles actually speaks in this! Lampshaded here. Sultan can also speak like this, which prompts Myles to ask him to be friends.
- Lemony Narrator: Well, since Kevin is the narrator himself, it counts Self-Deprecation in some cases. Such as this one.
- Like Father, Like Son: Kevin picked up classic rock from his dad. The same goes for Wade and jazz, and Cassie and drinking.
- Limited Wardrobe: Spoofed.
- Lysistrata Gambit: Cassie uses this here and here.
- Man Hug: Actually the GIRLIEST HUG EV4R!
- Milestone Celebration: The comic started became colored in the 200th strip. Also, there’s this for the first anniversary of the comic.
- Mistaken for Gay: Kevin.
- Mistaken for Racist: Interesting case with Kevin and Wade.
- Mr. Fanservice: Kevin tries to be this, starting from here.
- My Eyes Are Up Here: But Kevin can't avert his Male Gaze here...
- The Name Is Bond, James Bond: Kevin imagines himself saying this here, presumably with a sexy voice.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: A band name: Bloodbath Holocaust!
- Nerdgasm: Kevin, at times
- Nice Hat: Completely unnecessary cowboy hat!
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Freddie Mercury of Queen fame. Also, fun. is a chocolate-covered blueberry-muffin pie.
- No Fourth Wall: Sometimes you feel like there is a fourth wall… only for Kevin to break it.
- Non Sequitur: Jimi Hendrix gives one.
- Older Than They Look: This Japanese lady.
- Origins Episode: Starting from here.
- Painting the Medium: At times, most notably with the font Myles uses for his leet-speak.
- Pass the Popcorn: Kevin, Arya, Cassie, and Wade watching a nerd showdown between Sultan and Jolie.
- Perfectly Cromulent Word: FUNKTACULAR!
- Perky Goth: Cassie.
- Pirate: Kevin and Arya. Also, pirate metal totally exists.
- Playboy Bunny: Guess who looks positively bangable…
- Proud to Be a Geek: The entire point of the comic.
- The Rant: Kevin LOVES these!
- Readings Are Off the Scale: Literally.
- Retcon: Dubstep Dave got renamed to Dubstep Derrick.
- Right Behind Me: Poor Kevin…
- The Rival: Sultan and Jolie. Over the Legend of Zelda (and later on, over spending time with Kevin).
- Self-Deprecation: Since Kevin is the Author Avatar, any insults to him can be considered this.
- Serious Business: Anything concerning the kind of music Kevin loves.
- Shipper on Deck: Cassie, for Kevin and Jolie.
- Shirtless Scene: Believe it or not, Kevin.
- Spit Take: Arya here.
- Squick: Reading the early strips causes Kevin and friends to get this.
- Start My Own: Provides the page image, in reference to Dave Mustaine forming Megadeth.
- The Stoic: Arya. This chart shows it…
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Kevin Griffin, the cunning and intrepid protagonist of this webcomic, is in no way related to Kevin Griffin, the cunning and intrepid author of this webcomic.
- Take Up My Magic Fingers: Stevie Ray Vaughan’s ghost, to Dan Patlansky.
- Take That: Lots!
- Tearjerker: There are many examples in-universe. Usually it’s Kevin crying at something rock- or metal- related, with Cassie tagging along sometimes
- That Came Out Wrong: Still Kevin.
- Title Drop: In the first page.
- Tough Love: Kevin shows this to a YouTube guitarist, starting from here.
- Tsundere: Jolie.
- Unsound Effect: Anger! Chagrin! … Remorse! Contrition!
- Virtual Celebrity: The possibilities are discussed.
- What Have I Become?: Parodied.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Cassie gives one to Jolie.
- Wide Eyes and Shrunken Irises: When Kevin surprises Arya and Cassie.
- Worthy Opponent: Sultan and Jolie. Again, over the Legend of Zelda.
- Yaoi Fanboy: Kevin seems to be this.
- Yoko Oh No: Mentioned here.
- Your Cheating Heart: Parodied and discussed here.
- Your Head A Splode: Downplayed.