Thomas and Monkey
"Add ejaculate to the list of words you can't use when talking to women."
— Thomas, on how his night out went.
Thomas and Monkey Comics
"You know Monks, I don't know what I'd do without you." "You'd probably drink a lot more."
— Thomas and Monkey's relationship.
is a webcomic strip at thomasandmonkeycomics.com
It was begun by Thomas Davidson in January 2010. The comic centers on the titular characters, Thomas and Monkey. Thomas is a court sketch artist who cracks horrifically bad jokes, usually while trying to pick up girls. Monkey is his roommate and (seemingly) only friend, a well-read primate who plays video games.
The two have been friends since childhood and are now out in the adult world of nightclubs, deadlines, bills and unfulfilled dreams.
Monkey frequently questions why he is friends with Thomas, not least because he has seen Confessions of a Shopaholic
over 20 times.
The webcomic is filled with bad pick-up lines, puns about genitals, drinking in the shower, and cigars on the rooftop.
This webcomic offers examples of:
- Art Evolution - Compare the first comic with the with strip number 85.
- Author Avatar - Thomas is physically based partly on the author himself, and the Monkey character is inspired by a toy he had growing up. Both characters are used as the author's voice on certain issues.
- Berserk Button - Here Monkey goes off over Thomas's obsession with 'Confessions of a Shopaholic'.
- A Boy and His Monkey
- Brilliant, but Lazy - Thomas alludes to it in this strip.
- Thomas's work ethic emphasizes this in this strip.
- Butt Monkey - Thomas takes a fair share of stick.
- The Comically Serious: Monkey is the straight-laced one compared to Thomas's quirks.
- The Couch - The couch in their apartment.
- Deadpan Snarker - Monkey, about Thomas. Thomas, about girls.
- Gallows Humour - Shown in this strip
- Ho Yay - On display in this comic.
- I Can Explain - Monkey caught in a dress
- Incredibly Lame Pun - This one is horrific.
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places - Thomas.
- Male Gaze - Evidenced here
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane - Some fans are starting to wonder if Monkey is real or in Thomas's head.
- Missing Episode - A few deleted strips can be found here.
- My God, What Have I Done? - Happens to Thomas after he does a comedy routine about vaginas.
- Also here after talking to a girl.
- Name and Name
- No Name Given - Thomas or Monkey's last names.
- Noodle Incident - The truth about this event is never explained.
- Although that could be about to change as hinted at in this strip.
- Odd-Shaped Panel - Frequently features strange panel layouts.
- Portmanteau - "Awes-Tastic"
- Pungeon Master - Thomas spouts some absolutely horrendous puns, like this one.
- Reality Subtext - Plenty of the jokes are said to be based on the author's experiences.
- Rule34: - Averted (for now).
- Running Gag - Thomas's "Sup Babe" here
- Scenery Porn - Especially evident in the detail of this strip.
- Sharp Dressed Man - Thomas always wears suits or shirts.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism - For a strip about a two friends one of whom is a monkey, it gets pretty dark. it's not clear that Monkey actually likes Thomas, and Thomas is sometimes quite bitter and dejected.
- Unnamed Parent - Both characters parents are unamed.
- Vitriolic Best Buds - Both main characters, though Monkey is usually at odds with Thomas.
- Write Who You Know - Thomas' jokes falling on deaf ears comes from the author's own jokes failing with friends.