Webcomic / The Quick And Dirty Life Of Fritz Fargo
The Quick and Dirty Life of Fritz Fargo
is a black and white traditional-media webcomic which tells the story of two young part-time musicians in Canada: good-natured, dependable Eddie and his troubled childhood friend, whom Eddie knows as John but who generally calls himself Fritz. Needs More Love
- Anime Hair: Fritz, Seth, and Eddie all have spiky hair, but Fritz in particular looks like he's about 25% hair by volume.
- Ambiguously Brown: Nemmi's surname is "Tan", which is generally Chinese, but she doesn't look especially East Asian. Just sort of dark-skinned with ethnically nonspecific facial features.
- Amicable Exes: After a rather unpleasant breakup, Eddie and Nemmi get back on good terms, shortly followed by him coming out to her as gay.
- Anything That Moves: Fritz sometimes seems to hit on most of the people he sees.
- Better as Friends: Eddie and Nemmi.
- Betty and Veronica: Eddie and Seth, to Fritz, sort of. Also Nemmi and Fritz to Eddie during his relationship with Nemmi.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center, Emotional Bruiser, Gentle Giant: Eddie is a big guy, but he's very sweet and sentimental.
- Butch Lesbian: Mona.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Fritz and Eddie.
- Coordinated Clothes: Downplayed with Eric and Lars. Usually, they both wear plain white tees, but Eric wears long pants and Lars wears Bermuda shorts.
- Domestic Abuser: Seth to Fritz.
- Dreadlock Rasta: Mona is a butch, grunge, party-hard type with really impressive dreadlocks.
- Dumb and Drummer: Averted. Eddie is a drummer, but he's not too dumb really.
- Friend Versus Lover: Eddie doesn't see why Fritz and Nemmi can't just get along. Eventually, Eddie and Nemmi become friends rather than a couple, and Eddie's friendship with Fritz sort of heats up.
- Gold Digger: Fritz's off-and-on relationship with Seth is predicated on financial support. He also steals scratch ticket money from an unnamed woman he has some kind of fling with.
- Guest Strip: Several.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: "I ALSO NEED TO PISS." A plausible excuse, but the delivery is obviously unconvincing.
- Incompatible Orientation: Nemmi and Eddie, as it turns out. Also applies to Fritz's persistent flirtation with the Lembertson twins.
- Keet: Fritz is tiny, energetic, and prone to emotional outbursts. It seems that one of the reasons he's so energetic, though, is that he does coke.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Eddie owns a cat. Eddie is also, as previously mentioned, very sweet.
- The Lad-ette: Mona.
- Last Het Romance: Nemmi, to Eddie.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Eddie seems to be trying to be this for Fritz, but Fritz is difficult to help.
- Lover and Beloved: Kind of Seth and Fritz's relationship.
- May–December Romance: Seth is well into middle age and is in a relationship with twentysomething Fritz. What's worse, they met when Fritz seems to have been about sixteen, and Seth gave him drugs and brought him back to his hotel room at the very least.
- Meal Ticket: Seth to Fritz; Fritz openly remarks that he's only with Seth for the money. And he's not the only one who mooches off Seth.
- Moment Killer: Fritz here.
- One Head Taller: Fritz and Eddie, Fritz and Seth.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Fritz's real name is apparently John, but only Eddie calls him that.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Eric is high-strung and abrasive, Lars is laid-back and agreeable.
- Raised Catholic: Eddie, according to Word of God.
Catholic Guilt, ed is constantly plagued by the feeling that what ever he is doing, is wrong and he will have to answer for it to… somebody.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: Every now and then, something is misspelled. The comic's creator seems to be open to audience proofreading.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Invoked by Eddie's dating-profile-format bio:
Strong sensitive type seeking fun loving, exciting type. Loving cats is a must!
- Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll: All very near and dear to Fritz's heart.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Seth.
- Shout-Out: Fritz quotes Rainbow Dash here. Also, some of the chapter title pages parody iconic images from popular culture.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Nemmi, as stated in her profile.
- Spoiler Title: It seems to be a reasonable expectation that Fritz’s demise falls within the scope of the narrative.
- Straight Gay: Eddie seems believably straight at first.
- Suddenly Sexuality: After Eddie goes on a couple dates with Nemmi and they break up, she asks if he's gay and he says yes.
- Third Wheel: Fritz drops in on a date between Eddie and Nemmi.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Eddie's parents. Eddie clearly inherited his build from his mom, although his skin tone is closer to his dad's.
- Fritz and Mona are a platonic example.
- Transsexual: Summer; clearly implied here.
- 20 Minutes into the Past: The comic takes place around 1994, but the retro vibe is very subtle.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy: Fritz propositions Lars for this reason.
- The Nicknamer: Mona calls Fritz various nicknames.
- The '90s
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Fritz and Eddie for most of the comic.
- Uptight Loves Wild: Eddie and Fritz. Not that Eddie is super uptight or anything, but he's much more conventional than Fritz is.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Mona and Fritz are a pretty low-key version.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: When Fritz gets puking drunk in one chapter, some truly nasty black-and-white cartoon vomit ensues.
- Will They or Won't They?: Fritz and Eddie. Even after their first sexual encounter, it's still an open question.