Our hero, and RGB.The Property of Hate
is a webcomic by Sarah Jolley (aka Modmad aka Fred aka Albionhands) that began publication in early 2012 and usually updates on Sundays.
A young girl is suddenly awoken by a strange man
who refers to himself simply as RGB. He is formal in speech and odd in the head, or in the television set where his head should be
. He asks her if she would like to become a hero, and though she answers with gusto
, she doesn't have any knowledge of what will be expected of her as she leaves her home for a world in the skies.
The journey across the clouds takes her to a world badly in need of a hero, where lies and fears are very real and very dangerous. The hero's courage helps her survive her first encounter with fear itself, but her very young age — and RGB's refusal to explain anything — make it a difficult and dangerous journey for her.
The comic can be found here
This comic provides examples of:
- And I Must Scream: What happened to Toby, though he can still communicate with others. After he was torn to pieces and stitched back together with his own nerves.
- Animate Inanimate Object: A chair inside the House of Paint here.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: The Hero and RGB find themselves ailed by manifestations of such turmoils as fear and grief.
- Disney Death: Hero, when she falls out of the tree and is apparently impaled on one of the branches. It turns out that the hole that she got from being stabbed by a fear opened back up while she was arguing with RGB, so she's fine.
- Don't Ask, Just Run: RGB's reaction to meeting the Fears the first time. Subverted when the Hero refuses to leave the Idea even after RGB explains what it is.
- Face Doodling: Of the mustache and glasses variety on RGB's screen.
- Fisher Kingdom: The world the story takes place in apparently has some of these properties, as it causes Hero to get Identity Amnesia.
- Foreshadowing: Take a look at the pictures on Hero's walls in the first two pages...
- Hurricane of Puns: This page.
- I Have Nothing to Say to That: RGB, upon receiving an... eloquent message from Hero via Assok.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: If you count getting shanked by a Fear, this has happened to the same character twice.
- Inherently Funny Words: "Blighterpoop."
- It Is Pronounced Tro PAY: It's TO-by, but RGB wouldn't care.
- Jumped at the Call: After saying goodbye to her mum first.
- Lame Pun Reaction: Toby has this to RGB's puns about time.
- Meaningful Name: RGB means Red Green Blue after the additive color model used in the first color television broadcast, as well as the CRT and LCD monitors and TV sets that followed it.
- Mundane Utility: One can actually use RGB's head as a television, but he cannot be awakened or move when used this way.
- The Nameless: The protagonist.
- No Name Given: The protagonist. Though thanks to Identity Amnesia, she's really The Nameless. She doesn't even realize it until she actually thinks about it.
- Scenery Porn: Lots and lots of it.
- Shout-Out: From classic movies to alchemy, the author loves putting in references.
- Stealth Pun: In spades.
- For example: A sleeping RGB's speech bubble is blank white - it's white noise.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Manifests one after being knocked out by a Grief.
- Tell Him I'm Not Speaking to Him: Starting on this page. An interesting example, as the messenger is only ever able to speak when copying someone else's words (albeit imperfectly).
- You Cannot Kill an Idea: Taken rather literally.
- You Can't Go Home Again: Practically said word-for-word by RGB, with regards to Hero. The given reason is not that it's physically impossible to go back, but that wherever they are is something of a Fisher Kingdom and Hero now has Identity Amnesia; thus she is no longer the person she was and can't resume her old life.
- Your Mind Makes It Real: Not necessarily, but a common theme within the story is how phenomenons the mind comes up with can become very real and, consequentially, very dangerous.