The Property of Hate
is a webcomic by Sarah Jolley (aka Modmad aka Fred aka Albionhands) that began publication in early 2012 and usually updates on Sundays.
A young girl is suddenly awoken by a strange man who refers to himself simply as RGB. He is formal in speech and odd in the head, or in the television set where his head should be
. He asks her if she would like to become a hero, and though she answers with gusto
, she does not have any knowledge of what would be expected of her as she leaves her home for a world in the skies.
The comic can be found here
This comic provides examples of:
- And I Must Scream: What happened to Toby, though he can still communicate with others. After he was torn to pieces and stitched back together with his own nerves.
- Animate Inanimate Object: A chair inside the House of Paint here.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: The Hero and RGB find themselves ailed by manifestations of such turmoils as fear and grief.
- Don't Ask, Just Run: RGB's reaction to meeting the Fears the first time. Subverted when the Hero refuses to leave the Idea even after RGB explains what it is.
- Face Doodling: Of the mustache and glasses variety on RGB's screen.
- Foreshadowing: Take a look at the pictures on Hero's walls in the first two pages...
- Hurricane of Puns: This page.
- It Is Pronounced Tro PAY: It's TO-by, but RGB wouldn't care.
- Jumped at the Call: After saying goodbye to her mum first.
- Lame Pun Reaction: Toby has this to RGB's puns about time.
- Meaningful Name: RGB means Red Green Blue after the additive color model used in the first color television broadcast, as well as the CRT and LCD monitors and TV sets that followed it.
- Mundane Utility: One can actually use RGB's head as a television, but he cannot be awakened or move when used this way.
- The Nameless: The protagonist.
- No Name Given: The protagonist. Though thanks to Identity Amnesia, she's really The Nameless. She doesn't even realize it until she actually thinks about it.
- Scenery Porn: Lots and lots of it.
- Shout-Out: From classic movies to alchemy, the author loves putting in references.
- Stealth Pun: In spades.
- For example: A sleeping RGB's speech bubble is blank white - it's white noise.
- Superpowered Evil Side: RGB doesn't call himself the very worst monster for nothing.
- You Cannot Kill an Idea: Taken rather literally.
- Your Mind Makes It Real: Not necessarily, but a common theme within the story is how phenomenons the mind comes up with can become very real and, consequentially, very dangerous.