"There is good news, and bad news. The bad news is that you will never enjoy the sweet ecstacy of devouring brains. The good news is that if you are reading this, you are not a One, and that TOGM exists so that you wont starve to 'death'."
For years it has been common knowledge that every human is dead. No one is certain how it began, but the end
is undeniable. Zombies have taken over the world. There are no pockets of resistance, no safe zone to reach and certainly no military to come in at the end of the day.
For John, who seems awfully human but with no memory of his past, there will be no easy way out.
But he is not without hope, because these zombies are different
. As they killed, they regained intelligence, and have created an entire society around their own needs. Their efforts to regain their humanity has permitted the perfect disguise: A human pretending to be a zombie pretending to be a human.
If he can manage to keep himself from getting killed by Beth, the lovely Limb Replacement Technician who has taken him in, he just might be able to help them get to the bottom of this whole Zombie thing.The Other Grey Meat
is written by James Maillet and illustrated by June Maillet. The main link is currently here
but may change in the future.
The comic contains some inappropriate language, cartoon violence and provocative pose, but would probably be PG 13.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Art Evolution: The characters have undergone significant changes from their original design.
- Big Bad: Robert, the head of the TOGM company is pulling the strings of his minions, while sitting in the shadows himself. He could also be considered a Villain with Good Publicity, as he is regarded as a saviour in the eyes of the general zombie-public.
- Black Eyes of Evil: Zombies all have black eyes. Twos on up wear contact lenses that give them oddly-colored eyes.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Sylene
- Disposing of a Body: John must dispose of Ole Corpsey™ after he discovers his remains in the bunker.
- Elite Zombie: Ones are your stereotypical derpy walking corpse. Twos on up fit into Person Zombies; with Robert being the only Five, who is either the only remaining human, or was able to gobble enough brains to become human again.
- Fish out of Water
- Hospital Hottie: Beth.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: Karl and Chuck interrogate Sylene about the murder of a Category One Zombie. Chuck starts nice, Karl immediately goes aggressive.
- Subverted when Karl isn't really trying to be part of the interrogation, he just wants his TOGM fries back, and Chuck looks surprised at his overreaction.
- Improvised Weapon: A can of peas, though it doesn't help much
- Only One Name: At this point, all of the characters only have one name.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Categorized from One to Five for their level of intelligence, Twos and higher have created a society.
- Ones appear rotted. Everyone else could pass for a human if not for the green blood, anime eye colors, and urge to eat brains.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Examples here and here.
- Sliding Scale of Undead Regeneration: "Twos" and above seem to be Type II (No healing and no rotting). "Ones" appear to be Type I, appropriately enough.
- Undead Child: R.Z. appears to be around 6 or 7 but is in fact much older. However, the fact that he is a Category Two zombie and is of lesser intelligence also makes him appear younger than his chronological age.
- Wide Eyes and Shrunken Irises: Pretty much in every other strip.
- Zombie Apocalypse