The Heroes of Middlecenter
is a furry fantasy parody webcomic begun in 2003, drawn by Ed and Stormy. Originally a video that was made for a school project or something (it's hard to check now that the site is offline), but the video ended after the first Big Bad
's defeat, while the comic continued.
The story runs so far: The fair land of Middlecenter, ruled by a fair and wise ruler, High King Meyzzo, is attacked by the evil Lord Baltimore, who turns all the people of Middlecenter into statues of solid bronze, or some obscure metal like that, For the Evulz
. The only ones spared are a Dark Mage, a White Mage, a Knight and a Wood Elf, who band together to free the people.
Unfortunately as of March 2011 it seems to have gone offline, and the Internet Archive is of no help because the website disabled crawlers
from analyzing it.
Tropes present in this work include:
- April Fools: Several april fools storylines. The first one had Kiki die in battle. Another had Dark commit suicide - until you scrolled down the page and saw that the blood was actually ketchup.
- Berserk Button: Darklight hates rhymes.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Kiki is a helpful White Mage who fights with a metal ruler. God help you if you're a zombie ninja.
- Calling Your Attacks: "Sparkling bubbles! OF FIRE!"
- The Chosen One: Lampshaded
- Doomy Dooms of Doom: The map.
- Then parodied with the Cave of Doom, renamed to the Cave of Not Doom.
- Embarrassing First Name: Darklight's real name is Daffodil. She hates it, understandably.
- For the Evulz: 'I will turn all the people of Middlecenter into solid bronze (or some obscure metal like that) because I'm evil, and that's the sort of thing us evil villains like to do!'
- From there, it gets more and more suggestive until Thatch and Wolf decide to look over the wall to see what's going on, and Kiki gets pissed off and uses water magic on them, draining the bath.
- No Man of Woman Born:
- The evil Lord Baltimore parodies the Witch King as such:
-Baltimore: Well heroes, I'm impressed that you've made it this far. But all for naught! For you see, no mortal man —
Kiki and Darklight, female mages : Ahem!
Baltimore: — or woman... can strike me down!
- Our Zombies Are Different: 'They weren't just any ninjas... they were ZOMBIE ninjas!'
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Darklight is a Black Mage who is secretly the Princess of Laffyland and hates it, Kiki is an orphaned White Mage, Wolfwood is a Wood Elf who missed out on combat school, and Thatch is a Knight sent to retrieve Darklight and bring her home.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Or rather, Real Life has a rather serious impact on when new pages are made.
- Rhymes on a Dime: The fairies. Or else they explode.
- Shout-Out: To Harry Potter's Avada Kedavra: Burning DEATH!
- There's also an encounter with an old "wise woman", which is pretty much a rerun of a similar scene in Black Adder The Third.
- Sugar Bowl: Laffyland
- We Need a Distraction: Lookitme lookitme! Look, a distracting thing!
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: Thatch speaks entirely like this. Lampshaded by Darklight earlier.
- You Just Had to Say It: No sign of any uncooperative characters here!