"The GaMERCaT" is a webcomic about a cat who is a gamer
. The webcomic centers on the adventures of GaMERCaT, his sidekick the Annoying Fairy (a parody of Navi
), and his protege Glitch, a stray kitten he wants to teach all about gaming. A recurring element is Anonymouse, a group of mice who love to antagonize
GaMERCaT. Later comics introduce a formed "gang" of Gamercats. Alongside GaMERCat and Glitch are Sweet, the big tough guy, and Pixel, the female GamerCat
. When not simply hanging out with the others, the two seem to fight over who should be the better influence for Glitch: Sweet wants him to play violent games to make him tough, while Pixel wants him to play cute friendly games to keep his innocence.
"The GaMERCaT" is created by artist Samantha Whitten a.k.a. Celesse. Many of the strips are parodies of popular video games. Others are centered on GaMERCaT's difficulty interacting with humans while getting and playing video games.
It can be found here
Tropes associated with GaMERCaT include:
- Adorkable: GaMERCaT.
- Affectionate Parody: Of various video games.
- Art Evolution: In the earlier strips, GaMERCaT was drawn in a more simplistic way and had a very chibi look. Later comics have a more detailed art style.
- Badass Mustache: The white stripes on Sweet's muzzle look like one.
- Bad Future: When Glitch sets the 3DS clock to the year 2050, Gamercat's Animal Crossing town is filled with dead trees, torrential rain, weeds and dead grass everywhere, and the animals no longer remember he exists.
- Berserk Button: Try to read a walkthrough to play a game under Gamercat's watch. Just try it.
- Big Brother Mentor: GaMERCaT to Glitch.
- Calvin Ball: Their custom monopoly rules which make no sense at all, (Since most of the game was missing) in which they replace the Chance cards with Pokemon cards, and the figures (Except the boot) with Skylander figures. And despite the chaotic mess, it is freaking awesome
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Anonymouse haven't been seen in years.
- Crush Blush: GaMERCaT the first time he sees Pixel.
- Cute Kitten: Glitch is utterly adorable.
- Exposition Fairy: Played with, "Annoying Fairy" is a parody of Navi but is a bad role model, as she once encouraged Gamercat to binge on junk food, (Mainly for the free game codes) and then insults him when he becomes overweight, and pressured Gamercat into buying a Zelda game (In which he didn't seem to want in the first place) as well as a strategy guide. And tried to corrupt Glitch by giving into Gamer Greed.
- Five-Man Band:
- Fluffy the Terrible: Sweet.
- Jerkass With A Heart Of Gold: Sweet is a bully note who is almost about to beat up Gamercat, except Glitch enters the room, causing an awkward standstill. Not only does Sweet refuse to harm Gamercat in front of a little kid, but he also takes up Glitch's offer to play Wii U with them. In turn causing a truce between the two older cats.
- Gainaxing: When GaMERCaT plays Tomb Raider, he finds himself as Lara Croft and her inconveniently large breasts. When he tries to move them out of the way they end up smacking him in the face.
- Iconic Item: GaMERCaT's red bandana (and red scarf in the winter).
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Glitch is this in spades.
- Meganekko: Pixel.
- Nearly Normal Animal: GaMERCaT is of the "Largely Normal Animal" variety. He's smart enough to play video games but whenever he tries to speak, humans only hear a bunch of "meows."
- Opaque Lenses: Pixel does this sometimes.
- Perpetual Frowner: Sweet.
- Real Men Wear Pink: When playing Super Mario 3D World, Sweet choses to play as Peach.
- Sleep Cute: When Gamercat sees Glitch getting sleepy, he puts him to bed. Glitch climbs out of his bed and cuddles with Gamercat.
- Something Completely Different: One story arc, is with Sweet and Pixel fighting over what games Glitch should play, in which GaMERCat asks Glitch what he personally wants to play. Cue them playing Monopoly, with their own rules.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: GaMERCaT finds out that a stray kitten has a Game Boy because someone threw it in the garbage can he lives in. He proceeds to complain how sad that is... that someone threw away a perfectly working Game Boy. The kitten agrees.
- When GaMERCat has gone bananas in organizing his plan for maximizing his purchasing and playing of all the new games coming out for the holidays, Pixel and Glitch recruit Sweet to help snap him out of it. Instead, Sweet comments GaMERCat has done all of his work for him before asking GaMERCat something he has "an algorithm for."
- The Comically Serious: Sweet is always grumpy no matter what. It's especially hilarious when he's shown running around dressed as Peach.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot:
- Glitch the kitty vomits while he tries to look cute for GaMERCaT's owner. He still adopts him.
- It happens again in this strip, ruining another attempt at cuteness.
- Another instance a special guest