"The GaMERCaT" is a webcomic about a cat who is a gamer
. The webcomic centers on the adventures of GaMERCaT and his sidekick the Annoying Fairy, a parody of Navi
, and his protege "Glitch" a stray he wants to teach all about gaming. A recurring element is Anonymouse, a group of mice who love to antagonize
"The GaMERCaT" is created by artist Samantha Whitten a.k.a. Celesse. Many of the strips are parodies of popular video games. Others are centered on GaMERCaT's difficulty interacting with humans while getting and playing video games.
It can be found here
Tropes associated with GaMERCaT include
- Affectionate Parody: Of various video games.
- Bad Future: When Glitch sets the 3DS clock to the year 2050, Gamercat's Animal Crossing town is filled with dead trees, torrential rain, weeds and dead grass everywhere, and the animals no longer remember he exists.
- Exposition Fairy: Played with, "Annoying Fairy" is a parody of Navi but is a bad role model, as she once encouraged Gamercat to binge on junk food, (Mainly for the free game codes) and then insults him when he becomes overweight, and pressured Gamercat into buying a Zelda game (In which he didn't seem to want in the first place) as well as a strategy guide. And tried to corrupt Glitch by giving into Gamer Greed.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Sweet.
- Jerkass With A Heart Of Gold: Sweet is a bully (Though Bully is debatable, since many fans blame Gamercat for starting the fight, by snatching the last Xbox1 which Sweet did grab first, as well smacking Sweet in the face with the box while doing so) who is almost about to beat up Gamercat, except Glitch enters the room, causing an awkward standstill. Not only does Sweet refuse to harm Gamercat in front of a little kid, but he also takes up Glitch's offer to play Wii U with them. In turn causing a truce between the two older cats.
- Gainaxing: When GaMERCaT plays Tomb Raider, he finds himself as Lara Croft and her inconveniently large breasts. When he tries to move them out of the way they end up smacking him in the face.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Glitch is this in spades.
- Nearly Normal Animal: GaMERCaT is of the "Largely Normal Animal" variety. He's smart enough to play video games but whenever he tries to speak, humans only hear a bunch of "meows."
- Real Men Wear Pink: When playing Super Mario 3D World, Sweet choses to play as Peach.
- Sleep Cute: When Gamercat sees Glitch getting sleepy, he puts him to bed. Glitch climbs out of his bed and cuddles with Gamercat.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: GaMERCaT finds out that a stray kitten has a Game Boy because someone threw it in the garbage can he lives in. He proceeds to complain how sad that is... that someone threw away a perfectly working Game Boy. The kitten agrees.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Glitch the kitty vomits while he tries to look cute for GaMERCaT's owner. He still adopts him.
- Again in this strip, ruining another attempt at cuteness.