Webcomic / The Dawn Chapel
The Dawn Chapel
is the general name for a collection of short stories. It sits somewhere in a no-man's-land between the gag-a-day strip and the longform comic. Short form, maybe? Middleform? What this effectively means for you if you're a reader is that if you don't like what you're reading, you can still just keep on reading, because in a few pages you'll be reading something else.
It's inspired to some extent by the Flight anthologies, both in the flavor of fantasy-adventure stories presented and in the short story anthology presentation. There is not, at present, any significance to the title The Dawn Chapel
, nor does it refer to anything in any of the stories.
The current story, "The Way Back", is the longest comic in the collection, at 25+ strips and counting. Most of the examples below will refer to it.Has a Patreon page
- Animal Stereotypes: The Apex Predator series involves a proud lion coping with a series of household affronts to his dignity.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Razzleback the jackelope is a good quartermaster and cook, but has a tendency to get theatrical and ramble about pirates.
- Don't Call Me "Sir": Noe asks that Pedro not call him "sir".
- Downer Ending: The conclusion of They Sit So Still. Most of the story is kind of a downer, honestly.
- Enemy Rising Behind: Pedro, intimidated by the captain, doesn't notice the vampire squid crawling over the railing.
- Fisher Kingdom: Some of the island worlds can inflict unwanted changes on visitors; this is what makes them so dangerous.
- Flying Seafood Special: Vampire squids, which are actually quite harmless.
- Schedule Slip: Suffered a bad one around May 2012, lasting until just before 2014.
- Sleepy Head: Pedro falls asleep just before and after the captains' briefing; whether this is part of his personality or just a specific instance is yet to be seen.